Batch Import Sysex?

Discussion in 'FM8' started by laserbeak, Jan 12, 2017.

1. laserbeak

laserbeak NI Product Owner

Hi,
    Want to load some old DX7 patches into FM8. There are tons. Is there a way to do this without having to go one by one?

2. musos

musos NI Product Owner

More info please....are your patches on an actual DX7 or are they downloads from the Web?

3. MarioD

MarioD NI Product Owner

I would like be thrilled if this were possible and I would like to find out also. I have a lot of Internet DLs of DX7 syx patches.

4. musos

musos NI Product Owner

It's in the FM8 manual:

Click on the Import SysEx button in the File menu and navigate to a compatible SysEx file (it will usually have a .syx suffix under Windows), and open it. You can find lots of DX7 SysEx data files on the internet. You can also capture MIDI SysEx data and save it to disk as a file using programs like Midi-Ox (PC freeware for private use, http://www.midiox.com), as well as sequencer programs and even some keyboards

DX7 Operator 1 will map to FM7 Operator F, Operator 2 to Operator E, Operator 3 to Operator D, etc.​

I seem to recall that Import SysEx was dodgy in a few versions of FM8. You'll have to just try it.

5. laserbeak

IPatches 've gathered from the web.

6. laserbeak

Whenever I do it this way, I can only upload one .syx at a time. Some of them are single patches.

7. musos

musos NI Product Owner

Okay, this is an inherent problem with the .syx files. They can contain one patch only or banks with many sounds.
    I don't know of a batch import option in FM8. We could request it, but FM8 doesn't get much attention from NI anymore.

Try looking for .syx files that are larger in size as they will contain more patches. There are thousands out there, mostly not that interesting though.

My usual advice for fattening imported sounds:

1) Go to the <Easy/Morph> page and lift the Stereo Width - works magic!
    2) If possible, increase the output volume. Most old converted patches are too soft.
    3) Tweak velocity sensitivity on some operators - makes the patches more "live"
    4) Add reverb or delay etc - season to taste.

I also sometimes reduce the detune parameter as many patches sound far
    "tighter" when this is decreased. A slow chorus works a lot better on
    a pad patch than a hideous detune which renders the sound irritating
    and incompatible with other instruments. Just a personal preference.

8. Seoman303

Seoman303 NI Product Owner

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. laserbeak

Sweet!
    Good to know, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.