1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Battery 5?

Discussion in 'BATTERY' started by LoveEnigma, Jun 30, 2021.

1. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Until NI comes up with Battery 5, which does not look to be the case at least until Komplete 14, I have found a new love in Steinberg's Groove Agent 5, which I will be picking up during their next sale. It looks more stable and smooth too. I am a big NI fan, but Groove Agent 5 is miles ahead of Battery 4 IMO, and if they release Groove Agent 6 within the next year, well, you get it.

Looks like I will make a move on from Battery. Feels bad after using it for all these years, but can't keep waiting for eternity.

2. lgpro815

lgpro815 New Member

I tried Groove Agent 5 but I really hate the browser on it. For me it constantly refreshes itself when i preview different samples and it slows down the workflow to me

3. LoveEnigma

That's strange. That does not happen here. It is much more smooth/stable compared to Battery 4 for me.

4. lgpro815

lgpro815 New Member

Are you browsing Groove Agent samples or your personal samples?

5. LoveEnigma

Good point. Only Groove Agent samples for now, just demoing it these days. I will try with personal samples today and let you know. But guess it is obvious the preview and pre-listen in place won't be as snappy with personal samples.

Hope you are using the latest Groove Agent version?

FYI, I see it was last updated in July 2021, so looks like they are actively developing it and might fix any potential issues in near future. This is a positive sign, and you could probably highlight the issue in their forums.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  6. LoveEnigma

OK, so I tried with own samples and it seems to work fine for me. A tad bit slower than browsing Steinberg content, but not a problem. Tried in both standalone and plugin modes.

Perhaps you can try to uninstall and do a fresh install of it?

Also, remember to update your e-licenser software and run a maintenance update before launching Groove Agent 5. You won't believe, it causes all sorts of weird issues. I have experienced them with Padshop 2 and Retrologue 2.

7. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i've honestly tried to make this workflow work and even falsely convinced myself that battery was better than maschine. i reverted back to maschine with a new appreciation. why do you use battery VST over maschine VST?

8. StarSMASH

i was recommended this for drum programming as well. Battery workflow does feel sluggish and tedious to me. let me know how you like the groove agent 5 if you get it!

9. LoveEnigma

Indeed. After playing with Groove Agent 5 demo for about a week now, I think Battery 4 does not come even close. I did not pay much attention to GA5 earlier, but I only regret it. The overall look of pads (square) and the colours itself are much more appealing to me. The included factory sound content (~ 31 GB) is excellent too. There are so many things you can do with Groove Agent. Battery might have a few little things that may be better, but that's not a factor if you don't use them.

I have the money waiting for Groove Agent 5, just waiting for a healthy discount (30-50% off).

My suggestion would be to demo it in the meantime. One month, no restriction. Check both standalone and plugin modes to make sure it works fine with your system. And make sure you are subscribed to their newsletters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lgpro815

lgpro815 New Member

I just reinstalled it and its still the same. That second of delay when previewing a sound in the browser is just too annoying for me. I like to preview different samples in time with my project. The battery browser is just so much more snappier. Its sad because i like the rest of groove agent

11. ozan@compel.com.tr

ozan@compel.com.tr NI Product Owner

I have the same problem with GA5. Always refreshes the folder while browsing. Did you find a cure?

12. LoveEnigma

I did observe this problem when marking/adding folders as favorites. If there are more sub-folders or the samples in a folder are too high this issue is happening I believe. So, best to navigate to the exact sub-folder and then only make those as favorites and when you do so allow sufficient time for it to complete the scan. If the scan isn't completed, it will misbehave.

Guess it's a bug or due to the way this thing works, but this is the best way I know of to avoid it. Give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Soundof

Soundof New Member

I have moved to Algonaut Atlas, v2 includes a step sequencer, amazing drum plugin!
    Ok, when it comes to the samples themselves, the editing is limited, but then again, it's one shots, how much editing would you want to do?!
    It scans a folder you tell it to for all your singe shot samples and labels them accordingly internally (kick/snare/claps/closed hats etc) then you can create a random kit and sequence automatically, or you can use a sequence from other kits, of course, save your own kits (they become independent files incorporating the samples and the sequence), it's only $49 at the moment (BF sales), must have if you want quick drum sequencing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. StarSMASH

have you ever used maschine vst? i have the MK3 hardware and would love to use it for triggering something like Algonaut Atlas, v2. seems a bit cumbersome, but i like the sort by frequency option kinda like XLN XO....but XO is very limited and tedious with maschine VST as well.

15. Portthames

Portthames New Member

NGL, I agree with much of this— and what's with the Battery 3 -> 4 'regression'? ;) I'd love those features put back plus...
    • Better file/library management; for instance ability to have folders/sub folders
    • Undo!
    • A simple mute layer button here [​IMG] https://prnt.sc/26cm2ky
    • Mangling effects
    • Ramndomize Kit

16. Jon Watte

Jon Watte NI Product Owner

I'd be happy with just a scalable UI. Especially the text boxes/lists are quite small, and neither the font (for HD screens or people-needing-glasses) nor the extent (to fit/find more things) can be changed. That's something the original Macintosh had in 1984...

17. Jeremy @ NI

Jeremy @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hey, sorry to interrupt but our community has moved! This forum is now a read-only archive. Please visit our new community: https://community.native-instruments.com/ Just search for a topic and continue the conversation over there, or create a new post if it doesn’t yet exist in the new forum.Thanks and see you over there.