Battery Hardware...

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by mezzurias, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

This is not a Battery specific feature request but I would love it if NI took out a pad controller (like triggerfinger/MPD24) with the beautiful build quality and looks of NI hardware and their great USB based external audio interface. This thing would be kick-ass. I;m thinking of something like Kore but for battery.

2. Reznick

Reznick New Member

This is a great suggestion!

3. npherno

npherno New Member

I agree

This would be great. I want to make House music, but I dont want to use someone elses loops, or a keyboard (which is counterintuitive).

4. JBlongz

JBlongz NI Product Owner

Yes something similar to the MPC, but as flat as possible since it will only be a controller. Wanna be able to carry it along with my current gear. 16 pads with some type of nudge capability to up/down/left/right one row/column at a time. DONT FORGET THE ROLL KEY or else you're wasting time like M-Audio. This is the main reason why I haven't sold my Fantom X yet: NEED THOSE PAD FUNCTIONS. A few aux controller nobs could help as well.

5. a Knight of NI

a Knight of NI NI Product Owner

6. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

I would be interested in that too. I would prefer more than the usual 16 pads. Korg Pad Kontrol is a fine alternative with very sensitive pads but a little to big and clumsy IMO. It could have been a little more compact.

7. mezzurias

8. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

They should have integrated it with Battery.

9. Defcom Space

Defcom Space Forum Member

I agree in a lot of aspects here. NI really missed out on their fan base by failing/forgetting to integrate Maschine closely with Battery. They two together could have been quite a pair. Can you imagine? Simply import/export Battery kits back and forth from computer to Maschine and visa versa? Bah, I think I'll be sticking to the Kaos pad, Maschine just looks like a bloated, glorified MPC. Anyways, back to Battery integration, it would have been a great idea.

:(

10. mezzurias

Well from what I get from Maschine is that its a standard midi controller, nothing special, so it can probably integrate well with battery. While I do think they needed to develop battery further to support more features (such as a sequencer) I'm not sure if a whole new piece of software was needed. What I get from Maschine is that it doesn't do anything by itself it needs the software (or any software since it uses midi) to actually work. Think of it as Kore2 but for beats. So I don't think there wil be issues with importing/exporting. There was a vid tut on it and it showed that it basically works very similar to importing libraries in Kontakt. Its all software after all so if the samples are in your library and you have Battery already you will be able to import the kits and choose them from Maschine itself. There is nothing being loaded onto the hardware as its probably your bog standard pad controller (like padkontrol or mpd). That means that you don;t have to worry about running out of ram (excpet on your computer).

11. Defcom Space

I see, so it's more of a "jack-of-all trades" than "Battery/Kontakt replacement". Intetesting. Still, I'd like to see Battery expand in the next version to include not just more content, but also a non-destructive editor, and maybe a more analog-styled compressor as well as an adjustable eight-band EQ, and an easier way to link/chain cells (so you can link up three, four, five, ect. single, weaker hits to make a stronger, fuller one far more easily than you can now).

Of course it could just be my ineptitude on that last one, so shoot me.

12. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Well, Maschine seems to be Battery 4 with a dedicated hardware controller. If you guys mean that you want the controller to work with Battery 3, as you would imagine it would take a new version of Battery(Mashine) to get the same optimal level of integration. Of course a major update like this would not be free. The controller can be mapped generically like a standard controller to battery 3 or any plug. There are already templates. It would be cool if they made a Battery template but you probably won't get the interaction on the screens with parameter feedback.

Try Novation Remote SL or Zero with automap. Actually, Maschine is basically a Remote ZERO without automap morphed with padKontrol and dedicated control over Battery 4

13. Soarer

Soarer NI Product Owner

Hey cut it man! You can't just come here and claim that Maschine is a new Battery 4!
    They are different and I'd prefer Battery any day. You are new here but we have been using Battery for years and really appreciate this piece of software and want to see it continue. :angry:

14. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

It does seem odd that there isn't a forum newly minted for Maschine yet. I'd say all signs point to the death of Battery...

15. AOdaGreAt

AOdaGreAt Forum Member

I'm completely agree battery seems to be better than maschine I just wish they would have updated to battery 4 and included a hardware controller.

16. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

Maschine is not on sale yet ;)

sowari

17. Defcom Space

Doh. Go figure, I was wondering myself.

Now let me quietly retreat to my room and eat my donuts in peace.

Personally I never was a fan of Battery's effects, the compressor just seems...weak. I'd like to see more of an emphasis put on the sampling bit of Battery, non-destructive editing, ect. Oh, and also, better acoustic drums, the one's now just don't really fit (for me)

18. mezzurias

A lot of people seem overly angry that NI decided to develop "a whole new software" instead of using battery 4. While it definitely looks that way on the surface chances are that Maschine is actually using the same engine that Battery or Kontakt uses in the backend and NI will expand features in the future. That being said, there are things that Battery can do that Maschine will probably not do anytime soon. Battery is great if you have an actual drum controller (like a Roland) and you have far more pads than are possible in Maschine to load sounds. Battery can load Akai libraries, as well as other things. At the end of the day Battery is just a drum specific version of Kontakt with less features. Maybe NI could just get rid of Battery and add the relevant functionality to Kontakt. That would make sense and they wouldn't need to duplicate efforts in the future. While I was really looking for a tight integration of Battery with hardware I have to say that for my needs Maschine is darn right perfect. I was holding back on getting an MPD32 and now I'm glad I did.

Battery is great but its getting a little long in the tooth compared to other products being released. However, its really the interface that makes Battery great and I would rather see that make it into another product than see the product become deprecated (Spektral Delay anyone). I would love to see Kontakt get easier drum editing (I usually create my kits in battery then import into Kontakt, there is a step there that i don't need to take). Kontakt already has sample chopping, sequencing via scripts. I could imagine some fairly complex things could be done with Kontakt with a drum view and a scripted sequencer.

19. jikkyboy11

jikkyboy11 New Member

I feel the same way. I'm going to get Maschine sell Battery and rebuild the library there over time. I wonder if you can build instruments in Kontakt and port em to Maschine?

20. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

at the moment you will be able to import the samples.

sowari

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.