1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Beat Grids

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by ricktowers, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricktowers

ricktowers NI Product Owner

Does Traktor Scratch shares the same Traktor folder than Traktor 3? In other words will it read the beat grids that I created in Traktor 3? Thanks.

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

The database structure is the same for a TS & T3.

You can actually share one database between the two applications. It's a nice feature.

But the answer is yes.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

beatgrids, cue points and stripes are something that can be shared in all traktor versions, since you can save these into a track.

you can also prepare beatgrids in traktor scratch.

different to other competitors, you can also use *airplane mode*, which means, that you can use the onboard/ built-in soundcard for preparation as well - so when you're sitting in the train to your next gig, you dont need to hook on the AUDIO 8 DJ.

4. yagru

yagru Forum Member

what is a beat grid?

5. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

RTFM

6. djquartz

Easy Easy, I think Yagru is currently an SSL user, correct?

So he might not have access to the Traktor 3 manual. There is a section in the Traktor Scratch manual explaining this function as well.

I will post a sticky later with a small paragraph from the manual because users of other DVS systems will not be familiar with this feature.

7. yagru

yagru Forum Member

uhh yeah wow. Ive never used traktor before sorry.

8. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Well, see, you are posting in the Traktor *User* forums. So I make certain assumptions about a post unless stated otherwise. Cry your pardon.

9. yagru

yagru Forum Member

Considering this is the traktor scratch forum, which isnt out yet, id say you should probably rethink your assumptions there

10. djquartz

Taken from the Traktor 3 manual.

Grid markers and Beat-Grids are an important tool to synchronize your music in TRAKTOR DJ Studio 3. The analysis of the track produces a BPM estimation
    that is not sufficiently precise to guarantee synchronous playback of two tracks over the duration of several minutes as required by TRAKTOR for fully exploiting the advanced Looping and Beat Jumping features.
    Defining a Beat-Grid for a track is like establishing a reference that controls how the track should be synchronized when used in a mix. Instead of synchronizing
    a track every time you want to mix it, a Beat-Grid has to be set only once and can be used every time you want to match the tempo with highest possible precision.
    As defining a Beat-Grid is comparable to synchronize the track to a clock reference you need to do two things that you also do when synchronizing two records:
    • Synchronizing the downbeats.
    • Adjusting the tempo to compensate the drift.

In TRAKTOR DJ Studio 3, synchronizing the downbeat of the track to the tick of the reference clock is done by setting a special Cue Point called Grid-Marker. You can transform any regular Cue Point into such a Grid-Marker. Each Grid-Marker is at the origin of a so-called Beat-Grid. That is a grid of equally spaced reference lines, representing quarter notes or beats.

This applies to Traktor Scratch just the same.

11. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

although i have to admit that since traktors bpm detection improved so much on *critical* tracks (hiphop, breakbeats and the like) that beatgridding is a breeze now and if you're on vinyl you could also ditch it.

really, all the last tracks i beatgridded were like setting the origin and then doing nothing during the track. very impressive.

12. djquartz

I never use beat gridding myself because I mix solely on turntables.

But if you're mixing solely in internal mode it helps keeps the tracks in sync.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.