Beat Matching basics for the real beginner DJ

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by DJ MiCL, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mleung41

mleung41 New Member

i love this video. you should make cartoons for nickelodeon or something

2. djelias_914

djelias_914 New Member

thumbs up to this

3. Justgettingstarted

Justgettingstarted New Member

Thanks for this video it was helpful.

When playing techno or tech house is it common for someone to switch from a 120 Bpm to a 125 BPM or is that something you have to gradually build towards in order for the mix to sound right?

4. DJ MiCL

DJ MiCL Moderator Moderator

Hi,

I you are talking about the playback tempo, more than whether it sounds right, considering recent trends of tech-house BPM, 120 sounds like warm up time or deep/nu-disco time tempo, and 125 is pretty much peak time, so I wouldn't want to raise the BPM that much between two tracks.

If you are asking whether the two will sound okay mixed at the same tempo, I'd say yeah, pretty much, if we're talking about a final tempo of 123 or 124 or so..

5. Justgettingstarted

Justgettingstarted New Member

Ok cool, I understand from a programming aspect you don not want to play a 6 am banger right at midnight when you have been building with tech house ranging from 119-123 bpm. I have been clubbing for 21 years. Nothing worse then an opener playing after hour music at 11pm..

I guess since I am a beginner I am not doing it right. I hear the obvious distinction in speed when moving the pitch from say 124-127.

Should I bring them to a middle meeting point and then adjust the second track gradually?

6. DJ MiCL

DJ MiCL Moderator Moderator

Well, what I want to convey is that I wouldn't raise the speed that much between two tracks anyway. I don't like "gradual but obvious" speed changes. But that's me...

I guess, if I had to play track A at 120 and track B at 125 but do a long mix also, I'd have the two tracks synced and keep pushing the tempo from the beginning of track A all the way through track B.

If I had a choice, I would just play the next track at the new tempo from an intro or some place where the audiences' feet will stop once. (I don't like the track speeding up when I'm dancing to a constant beet. It feels kind of aerobic...)

7. 100acrewoods

100acrewoods New Member

Thanks for the Video!!

8. Chrisatorain

Chrisatorain New Member

Beat matching (or beatmixing as I know it as) should be the backbone to your DJing repertoire. The only time this may not so be so applicable is if you are a turtablist as your main skill will be scratching and cutting beats not mixing them over one another. Hip hop DJs will rely on beat mixing and scratching to an extent probably in equal measure. Anything else and you'll rely on beatmatching to get you from one record to another. Quite simply I define it as the process of blending two records from one, through a seamless mix (or transition) into another whilst maintaining the same tempo (or speed) of the original record.

edited: no advertising here!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  9. susieque

susieque New Member

The Lost Art LOL
    Wicked Vid!!!

10. E-Chi

E-Chi NI Product Owner

haha , that video, great, "beet"matching

11. Greg Murray

Greg Murray New Member

Excellent job of explanation. I am a DJ & and a college professor teaching radio broadcasting. I could not have thought of a better way to convey the info you shared. I didn't need the info, but I can truly appreciate the way the technique was broken down. Great job!!! Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  12. SJEvic

SJEvic New Member

Thank you for this video! Informative and funny :)

13. Sean Archer

Sean Archer New Member

Nice! Thanks for uploading. Please share more stuff like this, I am a total beginner but want to learn more and quick.