1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Beatgrids for dummies?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by jipperz, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punky921

Punky921 NI Product Owner

Christ. I really wish the manual was that ****ing clear. Thanks man.

2. jeromerelease

jeromerelease Forum Member

so youre saying, if you beatgrid everything, & youre using cdjs to mix, once u have the mix locked, itll stay locked & not even waiver at all? is this right?

3. fella

fella NI Product Owner

Are we the only 2 ppl on this forum who don't use beatgrids?;)

4. jeromerelease

nah i dont either...but it does sound interesting. can someone lemme know about my question? does it prevent straying in a mix with cdjs if u beatgrid?

5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

did you ever open the book?
    there was nothing in that posting that's not in the manual...

whateva.

6. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

no.

once you click sync, the songs will be on track for a few seconds, or until the percentage differences of the cdj players takes over.

7. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

I posted up a step-by-step guide called 'beat gridding for idiots' or some such on the T3 forum, which later got adapted for the manual. Look this up and it should explain all.

8. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

EDIT: The article is called 'An idiots guide to beat grids'.

Nice.

9. npherno

npherno New Member

@ jeromerelease
    If the beatgrids are really accurate, the song wont stray. Now mind you that the records need to be in phase, and the BPM's synced. If you use the sync with Vinyl, ive seen it change, but I guess thats the 1200 speed changing slightly.

The bottom line is that the mixing with vinyl is more hands on, but less accurate in my opinion, just because the 1200's change speeds subtly over time. On the other hand, computer controlled files are ROCK SOLID, no matter what, if they are done correctly. You can do mixes with MIDI and or the mouse, that aren't possible with Vinyl.

BTW, im not saying I prefer either--just my observations. Oh, the other thing. Sync does not put your records in phase. It doesnt do it by matching the beats, or matching phrases (ie like record 1, beats are building and record 2 has a vocal and building beats. This would sound horrible).
    The DJ still has to know how to mix and match beats.

10. jeromerelease

ya but im not using tech 12s. im using cdjs, which really shouldnt stray.

so if beatgridding corrects the stray of a track so it can sync in traktor studio, wouldnt it prevent straying in traktor scratch once u have a mix locked with cdjs?

11. npherno

npherno New Member

Ya know, that is a very good question! I dont know. I always thought that it was drift from the 1200's but maybe not? Anyone else notice this? My mixes in done entirely in Traktor Studio are rock solid, but using Timecode Vinyl drifts significantly. Not enough to prevent a mix, but I certainly cant do a mashup of several minutes with 1200's, where I can if its all in Traktor.

12. jeromerelease

can native girl or another mod answer this question? this will determine whether i decide to beatgrid my tracks or not.

13. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

why not beatgridding a few songs and checking if it works better then?

14. jeromerelease

cause i dont have my cdjs anymore...i only use TS when playing out.

15. HighRoller3

HighRoller3 Forum Member

..may this will help you!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBzejpuGk5Y"]YouTube - Digital Dj Tips- Beat Grids in Traktor[/ame]

It gives you the basics!

16. npherno

npherno New Member

Keylock?

Just a question, I still see this behavior--- Do any of you think its related to the timecoded vinyl and the keylock?

17. HighRoller3

HighRoller3 Forum Member

...don't understand? If you pitch UP or low, Key will go UP or lower. If you use keyLOCK, key will stay maybe at the origin...
    It depends on the pitch not on the timecodevinyl.

18. npherno

npherno New Member

You didnt read the whole thread. There were issues with sync and keylock in the past. What the question later in the thread has been is why is it that when using Traktor Studio (no external timing or timecode vinyl) timing seems way tighter than if you are using 1200's. I assumed that the drift issues I saw using timecoded vinyl were because of the 1200's motors. Jeromerelease wanted to know if the same drift occurred in CDJ's (it seems obvious they should be more accurate than timecoded vinyl).

My remark was not about keylock per se' it was if Keylock caused the problem.

Regards.

19. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

reagrding CDs... i dont know. they really should not drift in traktor when using beatgrids. but i'm a turntable DJ, so my knowledge about the whole CD-DJing is very basic. you should ask support for known issues on CD-DJing!

20. DJDaylightRobbery

DJDaylightRobbery Forum Member

If you use 1200's you've got the most accurate tts in the business.
    I beatgrid my tracks in traktor and try as I might I cant get my 1200s to go out of time!
    CDs are pants but thats just my humble opinion - we dont get on at all! lol...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.