1. Download 190+ FREE loops and one-shots, build a track and stand to win highly limited edition MASCHINE or KOMPLETE KONTROL customised hardware in the SKETCHES remix competition over on MetaPop!

CLICK HERE!

Behringer FCB1010 Midi Pedal with Guitar Rig

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by mosaic, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosaic

mosaic NI Product Owner

C'mon NI, lower the price by $100 and give your customers a software only option. Sell it direct as a download! You would make more money and your customers would be happy because they could use the foot controller of their choice.

on 8/5/04 5:28 AM, Pez <pez@*******> wrote:

> Well I finally got the programming on my Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot
    > Controller figured out and I must say that I can not imagine using my
    > Kontrol Rig pedal anymore. I really don't know what NI was thinking, how
    > could they have shipped Guitar Rig without a midi pedal?
    >
    > With the FCB1010 I can now jump from one preset to any other preset
    > instantly. No more pressing the pedal twenty times to go from preset 1 to
    > preset 21. Plus, I can program some of the buttons on the pedal to control
    > my DAW so I can start and stop recording with my foot instead of my hands.
    >
    > Best of all, I now have two expression pedals that I can use independently.
    > For example, one pedal can be a Wah and the other can execute a crossfade
    > between two amps. Plus, you can record both pedals to midi tracks and make
    > edits after your done recording. Now I can experimenting with different wah
    > settings without losing my wah performance. And one more thing, you do not
    > have to tie up one of your audio inputs just to use your foot controller.
    >
    > The FCB1010 is a really an awesome midi foot controller for the money. I
    > think I only paid about $125 for mine. If anyone needs help programming
    > their FCB1010 let me know and I will try to assist you, or I can share my
    > presets with you.
    >

2. stew666

stew666 New Member

guitar rig fcb1010

i just bought the behringer fcb1010 and i cant figure the thing out!
    i can get it to change channels, but not to the ones i want and forget about the expression pedals... i cant get them to do anything at all! please help. thanks in advance!

3. mosaic

mosaic NI Product Owner

Hey Stew,

I bought a second FCB1010 today and I could not get the expression pedals working at all. I found this FAQ on the FCB1010 forum and it corrected my problem.

Try this:

Many units ship with the exprssion pedals not correctly calibrated. This requires that you perform a manual calibration before the pedals will work correctly. The following procedure was provided by Behringer:

Keep footswitches 1 and 3 pressed while switching on the unit (This bit you can't do standing up!). Release the switches when the display blanks. The LEDs on the footswitches, the ones on the display and each segment of the two numeric displays will turn on and off in sequence.

Wait until all footswitch LEDs are on. Depress all footswitches one at a time, including UP and DOWN, until all LEDs are off.

Wait until relay switch test is finished. (There will be a couple of mechanical clicks, and the display will end up reading "F1" (at least, it did on mine)). [Also, if you have connected a MIDI cable between the MIDI in and out, the display will show "A1" before this, meaning the midi ports work correctly.]

Press DOWN once.

Adjust the left expression pedal (A) to the lowest value (heel down).
    Once adjusted press UP.

Adjust the left expression pedal (A) to the highest value (toe down).
    Once adjusted press UP.

Adjust the right expression pedal (B) to the lowest value (heel down).
    Once adjusted press UP.

Adjust the right expression pedal (B) to the highest value (toe down).
    Once adjusted press UP.

Select a patch which has both pedals set to their full range, and check the expression pedals now send 0-127 (0x00-0x7F)

Source:
    http://www.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/Original FAQ/showfaqs.asp?FAQ=52#F52

4. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR NI Product Owner

Stew666--do you have access to a MIDI keyboard or a control surface? If so, you can use that to get GR to learn the MIDI CC# that your pedals send. GR should then respond to your FCB1010. This is what I did with my midi pedal, anyway.

5. PhotoKevMN

PhotoKevMN Forum Member

Hmm, I can not uderstand how using another midi controller device to set the input midi note would help. If the FCB1010 signal is getting to Guitar Rig it should let you use the FCB1010 to define the input command or note. But hey, I guess it's worth trying whatever works. :)

6. PhoenixGTR

I dunno either, all I can tell you is, it worked. I had one pedal set to MIDI CC#16 for wahwah on my Ground Control because that was the way my old POD was set up. GR did not "learn" CC#16 directly from the Ground Control, but it picked it right up when I input it using my Ozone keyboard/controller, and then the pedal worked. Roundabout way of doing it, but whatever works, right?

7. nervebomb

nervebomb New Member

help

I would like to get my ground control pedal set up with GR...and have it use my external expression pedals. Can anyone help?

8. PhoenixGTR

Any of you FCB1010 owners solve this one yet? I'm really curious since I'm thinking of getting one.

And to nervebomb: if you have access to a MIDI keyboard or controller, see my previous posts--if it worked for my Ground Control, I'd think it would work for yours.

9. briggity

briggity NI Product Owner

I have used Ground Controls for years, original and now the GC Pro ...which one do you have? Do you have the Expression Pedals already configured to transmit MIDI CCs? I'll try to put together a short tutorial and post it over the weekend...

10. nervebomb

nervebomb New Member

Ground Control

I have the original Ground Control. I have the expression pedal hooked up to it, but thats as far as I have gotten. Still havent figured out how to use it with GR.

11. MarsVolta

MarsVolta New Member

I'm struggling with the 2nd expression pedal.
    The first expression pedal works beautifuly and all the other pedals do as they should yet the 2nd expression pedal doesn't work properly when trying to manipulate wah or pitch shift etc.
    Soon as you touch the pedal (the wah envelope for example) shoots right to "up" then won't come back down when using the pedal.

When I got the pedal (3 days ago) I reset the factory settings by holding down 1+6 when powering up.

I've calibrated both expresion pedals numerous times (as per the FCB1010 manual), the pedal is working fine physically, yet it seems I need to define the envelope? I don't know, understanding midi is over my head.

Anyone else have this problem with Guitar Rig and FCB1010?

Thanx in advance guys

12. briggity

briggity NI Product Owner

Re: Ground Control

Note: we have two threads in one here, this is a response about the Ground Control, not the FCB1010.

OK, do you have the Expression pedal working with any other MIDI gear, in other words, have you gone through the Ground Control's pedal set-up procedure? If so, then within each Ground Control preset you can assign the pedal to any device (Midi CH) and MIDI CC#. Assign that to the channel you want to use for controlling Guitar Rig, and assuming you also have your MIDI intreface configured properly so that GR can see the output of the Ground Control, try right-clicking (cntrl-click on Mac) any knob in a GR module...select the "Learn" item from the contextual menu that pops up...then move the expression pedal and GR should see the MIDI controller and assign it accordingly.

If you haven't gotten that far with the Ground Control yet, I can help you but I need to dig out my old GC from storage to jog my memory, it's slightly different from the GC Pro that I use all the time.

Brian

13. mosaic

mosaic NI Product Owner

14. MarsVolta

MarsVolta New Member

Thanx So Much Mosaic, that worked like a charm.
    I really appreciate it buddy : )

MV

15. marklaw33

marklaw33 New Member

Hi,

I can't get Expression Pedal A to act as wah for my Cyber Deluxe.

Choosing a patch using the bank method (as opposed to direct) gives me a patch on the Cyber Deluxe that is one number off.

I can't access the Cyber Deluxe tuner or tap tempo.

Help!

Thanks.

Mark

16. bapman

bapman NI Product Owner

Hi I can't access the page for some reason i don't understand
    but is the sysex in a specific format for PC or MAC
    I'm interested in getting my FCB to work with GR
    BAPMAN

17. Nuckit

Nuckit New Member

pardon my ignorance, but with a FCB1010, can you trigger the GR tape player that will simply play a wav file that isnt effected by the preset selected.

i.e. have a distorted setting in the preset but the tape can play a clean sound (unaffected by the preset)?

18. gotsong

gotsong NI Product Owner

Help Mosaic,

I have had an FCB1010 controller for awhile and am still not able to get Guitar Rig to respond. I am using Pro Tools LE with the Digi-002 rack. I can get the MIDI IN indicator light to go off whenever I trigger the pedal but Guitar Rig does not respond despite the fact that I am activiating it's Learn button. I have calibrated both Expression Pedals and left the Global Configuration to MIDI channel 1 on all program change and expression presets.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,
    James Davis

19. jg_guitar

jg_guitar NI Product Owner

Nuckit

Yes you can program the tape player for hands free operation with your FCB unit. I have mine programmed to jam with tracks I have switches 3,4, and 5 to play, stop, and record. It is quite handy.

gotsong:

I'm assuming that everything works fine for you when using GR as a stand alone app. You need to use "side chaining" to make this work when using GR as a plug in. That is what is call in Logic. Write to technical support and they should be able to tell you how to do it in Pro Tools assuming that Pro Tools supports such a functionality.

20. jg_guitar

jg_guitar NI Product Owner

Bapman.

You don't really need such a file. You need to use the MIDI note functionality on the FCB to work with GR.

- Select a bank and a preset in the FCB Unit. Take your pick
    - Hold down the down switch until you see activity on the unit then press "Up"
    - Turn off all switches by steping on each twice. First time it will blink the second time it will be turned off (hold foot on switch). Leave switches 8,9, and 0 alone. This deactivates all functions for that preset in the unit with the exception of the foot pedals and MIDI note which is what GR uses.
    - If not lighted up already select switch 10 (this is the MIDI note feature) which is how the unit will communicate with GR. This is on the GR documentation and on the FCB documentation.
    - Step on switch 10 until it blinks (may need to do it twice)
    - Enter a MIDI code with the pedals. To enter "01" step on switch 0 and then on switch 1. You will see 01 on the display of the FCB.
    - Step on the "up" switch to save the changes.
    - Now go into GR select "Learn" on the controller and step on the preset that you just created. GR will take it. At that point you should be able to assign it to any function in your rig.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.