1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Best action digital keyboard?

Discussion in 'AKOUSTIK PIANO' started by PIANOPICTURES, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PIANOPICTURES

PIANOPICTURES NI Product Owner

Hi. Can you be so kind to help me to choose the controller keyboard? I'm a professional pianist and looking for a digital piano solution for practice. Currently I'm thinking about Kawai kebyoards, their MP series. MP 4 is much cheaper, the MP 8 II is quite expensive. Big difference between them? What about other brands? Korg, Yamaha, Roland? I prefer "stage" keyboards, without wooden base.

2. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

I've heard that the Doeper pianos (www.doepfer.de) have a good machanic and quite realistic feeling, but I didn't test one, yet. How ever I would advise you to go into a store and test some pianos. It really depends on how you like it or not.
    If you want to carry it the weight could play a role, too and the MP 8 II is about 35kg as far as I know.

BurtaN

3. perversity

perversity NI Product Owner

Are you looking for just a keyboard controller, or does it need to have it's own internal sounds?

4. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

I took him by his word so far...

5. PIANOPICTURES

Yes, I think the internal sounds are less important then the action. I checked the websites of the main brands and seems that their keyboards are not that advanced as the Kawai. It's not possible for me to go to the store to check them all. Korg is very popular here, Yamaha also, Casio. I saw Kawai MP 4 just once.

6. perversity

perversity NI Product Owner

I've tinkered around with the Kawai's and both of them have amazing action. I would say that out of every controller/keyboard I've tried, the Kawai's action is the truest to a real piano. Yamaha has a lot of different actions that they use on weighted 88's. Some, like the CP300 feel very solid and authentic, while some like the S90es are very light and easy to play. Roland actions feel very tight and precise. I love Rolands RD700SX. The worst out of the bunch IMO is the Korg. They have killer synth sounds, but the action on their keyboards always feels loose and wimpy. If you don't need internal sounds, I really like the Fatar/Studiologic line. Fatar is an Italian company that makes the actions for bigger companies like Nord. Also CME makes Yamaha-like controllers. Their newest model has motorized faders, which would be really nice. You can get a top of the line controller for around $1000 US, but a good digital piano/keyboard starts around $2000, so if internal sounds aren't a factor you should look into a controller.

7. PIANOPICTURES

Big thanks for the suggestions. BTW, if I win in price bying just the controller, I'll need to by a notebook to be able to play on the go, and the software, and the fast soundcard )) Does the Akoustik Piano really that good, what it can be compared with? Maybe a better choice is bying the Kontakt with some decent piano soundlibrary?

Actually I can practice from time to time on anything wich have 88-keys, even not weighted, even with just a sine tone (to learn some difficult places, passages) ))) I wanted to find out what is the best of the best possible in this area.

Also from my experience, I play from time to time on some digital pianos, quite seldom, but more often last time. Some time ago I accompanied for a singer on a Kawai, I don't remember the model, but sure it was one of the cheapest ones, and it was really, really very good. I don't know is it the technology developed in the last times or I get finally used to it. I remember that I tryed some very expensive Yamaha about 10 years ago, it cost about $5000 or even more, and decided that it is absolutely unuseable for serious playing. Also I notice that if you try some digital piano at some very noisy exibition, they usually sound amazing, like a real grand on a very good record, especially if you have the volume low, and the sound go from the internal speakers. The worsest is when you play some very extensive sound library in a professional studio on the monitors - you hear clearly how far it is from the real grand.

Ok, I see that I actually don't know exactly what I need, I just see that in modern world I want to have something from this area, for ocasional situations: to practice in the headphones late at night; I even try to emagine some situation when there is a need of a piano concert, and they don't have a real piano. Not sure about the solo concert, but for a duo with a singer it will be a good solution.

8. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

I don't think that it's a good idea to buy Kontakt + sound library, becuase the thing which makes AP so realistic is not just the samples but also the resonance effect. The piano seems to "live" not as for example older Digital pianos (I have just tried Roland RD-170 which is so much worse).

BurtaN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.