1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Best audio quality - sound interface for TP

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by vanhaze, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanhaze

vanhaze NI Product Owner

Ola to all !

I was wondering if you have professional opinions about the best sounding (mobile) soundcard for use with Traktor Pro.

I use the Mbox Micro usb stick audio interface with TP.
    Recently i had a gig and it occured to me that the dj that came after me (who played with cd players) had a fuller (more body ) and better sound and it was louder.
    Afaik the soundengineer (nor the dj) didn't turn up the master or did something else to make it sound different.

It gave me quite a shock and began to wonder if soundquality using TP with the Mbox suffered (severe) against using audio cd's with cd players.
    BTW: I use the internal mixing in TP, so no separate stereo outputs that go to a external mixer)

I am a soundengineer myself (work in studio's, producing) and soundquality has always been at very high rank for me, also when djing.

I am beginning to wonder if the Mbox Micro was such a "good" choice in terms of soundquality , in combination with Traktor.
    It has 1 mini jack out (not a very professional connection type i think).

I play mainly progessive house and buy tracks from the known webstores (such as Beatport ans so on) as 320 kbs tracks.

Now i know that there is mostly the choice to buy tracks as .wav files and i know this is (far?) better soundquality.
    But honestly i find the prices of .wav tracks too high...(just my opinion).
    And i know alot of dj's who buy also 320 kbs tracks but then burn them on audio cd's, to play them on cd players... do they get a better soundquality this way ?

- I see soundinterfaces with 24 bit / 96khz spec and i wonder what the benefit is against 16 bit / 44.1 or 48 khz interfaces.
    Cause the tracks i buy are (only)16 bit , 44 khz ! So such an audio interface has to "scale up" the tracks ? or not ? Seems to me this is not really improving soundquality..

Anyways , i hope there are some of you out there who can give me some advice on this;

- best sounding soundinterface (preferably mobile and small) , which works fine with TP.
    - does TP something (bad ?) with the soundquality when playing a track completely dry (with no fx, no eq, no gain, no pitch/tempo shift) ?

Dying to get some prof. answers and opinions on these questions !:cool:

Kind regards,

Rob.

2. sarper

sarper Forum Member

Did you find an answer to this problem? I am having the same problem.

3. vanhaze

vanhaze NI Product Owner

No, sorry mate, no reply at all.

Wondering if it is such a stupid or such a difficult question ... :S

Kind regards,

Rob

4. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Native Instruments Audio 8 Soundcard.
    Or
    If you want FireWire Presonus Firebox.

I use both in large venues (2000 capacity upwards) and have had no issues playing alongside CDJs or other DJs.

You can spend a LOT of money on a RME Fireface soundcard but i dont think you need to spend that much.

In all honesty if you dont use timecode the Presonus is an amazingly well built, reliable LOUD soundcard. I have totally hammered mine for 3 years . Check it out. Also check the new Presonus FireStudio Mobile if you are a producer or musician.

5. vanhaze

vanhaze NI Product Owner

Hi Karlos, many thx for your clear reply.:)

I surely will take a look at the Presonus stuff.

Can you maybe shed a light on the other part of my question :

Why buy a soundcard which can do higher sample frequency than 44.1 khz, when the tracks you play are recorded at 44.1 ?

Does this really mean better soundquality ?
    Curious ...

Kind regards,

Rob.

6. Rasmuffin

Rasmuffin NI Product Owner

My understanding is that upsampling CAN make a better sound with proper interpolation filters for anti-aliasing, but could also result in poorer sound if the filters don't do their job.

I don't think it's really that important, although I'm no audiophile and the Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem makes my head hurt. I think it's more important to have a very good DAC and loud output for DJing than upsampling to possibly get clearer highs.

There are probably some people around that could shed more light on the issue.

7. vanhaze

vanhaze NI Product Owner

Hi Rasmuffin,

Thank you for being on this topic.

I hear you, but i wonder then why many manufacturers nowadays offer soundcards with higher sampling rates than 44.1. I would then assume that all these cards should have good interpolation filters to really make a difference.

Or is this just commercial nonsense ?

Kind regards,

Rob.

8. Rasmuffin

One advantage for those soundcards is recording where you would definitely want to start with the highest bit depth and sampling rate.

I record my sets at 24 bit 96 kHz after external mixing, but play back tracks in Traktor through the Audio 8 at 44.1. I can't hear the difference in playing tracks @ 44.1 vs 96, but do believe I hear a difference in the recording of mixes @ 96 vs 44.1.

But, I could be high and just imagining it. ;)

9. sonic43

sonic43 Forum Member

I´ve got the same problem than you...if you´ve got some solution let me know. Thanks.
    ---
    I've got native instruments audio 8 dj interface and the sound is really bad! I don´t know why....but the drums sound choppy especially when I do a mix ... they are not attached and they sound very bad. impossible to do a professional job in this way. if you have solution to my problem I would appreciate the help. a greeting.

10. Rasmuffin

That's not due to the Audio 8. That sounds like the ECO keylock setting (or whatever it's called in the new update.)

11. trat

trat Forum Member

There is absolutely no reason as to why you should record a digital DJ set at anything higher than 44.1. Sure, you should try to record with 24bit but remember that you need to dither down when you go to the 16bit paradime. Better to record a little less loud and record straight into 16/44.1. Again, there is no reason to record higher than 44.1 KHz when your mp3s / wavs are all in 44.1: you won't hear the difference, although you think you hear it. Doesn't matter what valve DJ mixer you have, you don't need to record higher than 44.1...

Also, I saw someone recommending Presonus FW gear. Never buy anything from them since their support is beyond crap and if products turn out crippled to a certain extend, Presonus is more than happy to discontinue it and let you sit there with a POS.

If I may recommend a good interface (something better than the NI interfaces): buy a new Motu or a RME interface (not the USB ones). Yes, they cost more then the toys from other manufacturers, but they shine in two of the most important fields: stability and support. Yes, the RMEs have terrific converters in them as well, but for professional use you want both top stability and support. Those companies still support their old products with new drivers...

12. Rasmuffin

So, never record higher than 16/44.1
    No Presonus products.
    No need to record sets higher than 16/44.1
    And, let me make sure I got this straight, I don't need to record higher than 44.1?

13. trat

trat Forum Member

You got it. Also, I wouldn't record anything with the ADs of a Presonus product (doesn't matter if it's just at 16/44.1).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.