best headphones for production and mixing

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by de wouzer, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson New Member

2. lx3r

lx3r Forum Member

beyerdynamics.
    mostly because you can wear them for hours because the pads are not directly on the ears.
    (I had AKG but they give me a headache after using them for about 2 hours.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PMPM

PMPM NI Product Owner

I own the DT770, tried the ATH-M50 (crap in comparison IMO), and I purchased the Senn 650's and returned them pretty swiftly - big Senn fan but was seriously disappointed.

Cans seem to be hard to get right, I wouldn't say the DT770's are particularly great, but they're okay for me. The best phones I ever experienced were the Sennheiser IE8. They were f#cking incredible, I would use those over any cans I've ever heard for music production if I had them.

4. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

in ear for production? Sounds strange to me... but I never tried this, so I don't know.

5. PMPM

PMPM NI Product Owner

Yeah I know, I wouldn't say that in ear's in general would be great for production but the IE8 in particular in an incredible ear-phone, like nothing else.

6. Jiloo

Jiloo NI Product Owner

The one thing in-ears are definitely doing is destroying your hearing.

Generally would not recommend working on headphones only. Monitors for the main work. Headphones as a second source and for working late at night. But would never mix on them – just some arrangement work etc.

I, personaly, use AKG but when I will need new pair I'll buy Beyerdynamics – my vote for them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

I have been mixing with AKG 701's for a good few years now and really like them. they have a very precise clinical sound that tells you exactly what is happing in the mix. infact until the tune has been mixed well, it sounds bad. So I don't tend to write tunes using them, only mix.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shoegazers

shoegazers New Member

I’ve been working on a system for finding the best headphones for a specific use, and have tried to identify the ones best suited for mixing and mastering. The site is still in the early stages, and I’m still learning which attributes are most important to studio techs, but hopefully you’ll find the results useful.

http://www.acqurate.com/55636231bb1776ab6f1d49da

9. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Impressed! Not one person has mentioned 'Beats' headphones.. Well done for not doing so !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

Be careful with eh DT 880 pro's. I made the mistake of leaving them out when I went on a road trip for work. Needless to say I had to pony up for another pair! The Bose she just had to have went to our daughter. Doh!

11. morgendugg

morgendugg NI Product Owner

Anyone got an opinion on the Audio Technica ATH-M70X?

I got a pair, but after using the M50's I'm having trouble mixing the bass. I almost don't hear it. Got a bit better after burning them in, but maybe I need more time to learn them.

12. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

I thought once briefly the "Beats studio - wireless" could be interesting for me. But I don´t know why - I didn´t had a depth look to the beats-headphones. I opted for the KRK-8400.

13. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

i dont hear a big dramatic difference inthese headphones I got the beyerdynamic dt770 i and i could not justify spending £120 on headphones so just sent em back and got the audio technica ath-m20 and the difference was negligible for my requirements for 1 quarter the price

14. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

The Focal Spirit Pros were the first headphones I've used where I thought it might actually be possible to mix and master a track solely with those. I wouldn't prefer it over my mastering monitors, but it was the first time I felt the low end was something I could accurately judge in cans.

15. Adam Moss

Adam Moss New Member

I love my DT 250s. Comfortable and fairly flat response. I'm limited when it comes to using my monitors because the neighbours/wife complain about the noise. But these Beyers have been a faithful friend in my studio for more than 10 years now.

I'm at the point with the DT 250s where I now know exactly how my music will sound in most environments and through a variety of different set-ups. Difficult to change now when I'm so used to them.

16. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

I love my beyerdynamic DT 880

much better than ever thought was possible.
    nice on my head and ears, doesn't press too hard, very good sound.
    when I go back from headphones to monitors, there are no unexpected sounds

17. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

to my ear there is no major sound difference between the average £50 headphones vs £150 quid headphones.

if u look at the frequency range response they are almost all identical

but yes the beyerdynamic build quality was real nice;

but I tried the dt770, the sennheiser hd 25 and the and the aforementioned audio technica ath-m20 and soundwise the difference was so minimal that I could not justify the extra £100

but yeah build quality and looks wise beyderdynamic was my favorite with the velore ear pads

18. Bertotti

There was an obvious difference between my old Sony mdv600 and the DT 880 pros not sure if it was ohm related or just their response curves but it was obvious to me and I found I had to get use to the difference. What I really liked about the DT where the all day comfort. The sony's were physically fine for and hour of or so but more and my head and ears just got tired and or sore. I also fond the semi open design adds to some width, maybe just my perception, from the closed Sony's. So taking all that into account I can't help but wonder if the ohs and open closed or semi open design along with the all day comfort aren't more my deciding factors then the actual frequency response. Make sense?

19. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

what ever works or whatever u prefer; I might well get some beyerdynamics again in the future just for how nice they feel and the price went down since when I bought and returned mine previously

some times having a second pare of headphones to cross check a mix does no harm but in general I dont subscribe to the idea that £200 headphones is automatic night and day sound differences.

the ohms far as I know just dictates whether a headphone amp is needed I dont think it is controls the frequency response directly.

20. Bertotti

Not saying your wrong i have only ever had these two pair I mentioned and was wondering if some of our perceptions may be based more on the physical changes and not the frequency responses. Where I live you don't get to see and try headphones other then the crap they sell people for mp3 players. Beats ear buds etc..