1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

beta testing

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by spielor2, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spielor2

spielor2 NI Product Owner

yeah! progress on 1.1

i am looking forward to the final release!

2. j-brady

j-brady NI Product Owner

Wohoo, Finally!

Are they gona release a public beta like they have done with kontakt?
    EW? Sowari? anyone have any idea.
    I know theres a bit of complaitn about the kontakt beta on this forum, but the people who its working for arent likely to come to write about that in their droves are they. Thats selection bias for you.

3. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

No reason to cheer yet. ;)

4. TechnoG0D

TechnoG0D NI Product Owner

Yeah... I would love to beta test that...

5. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i have no idea, but i personally will be surprised if it is released for public beta testing.
    Kontakt has been around for years, so it kind of makes sense, whereas Maschine is new.

btw, you guys are going to get a pretty good idea about how long a beta test period can last, for in terms of when it started ;)

sowari

6. jbone1313

jbone1313 NI Product Owner

Why would they not do a public beta? The reasons for doing that seem pretty strong.

NI would get free and more comprehensive QA testing from an enthusiastic group of testers. It would likely result in a better quality release.

7. dopebeat

dopebeat NI Product Owner

Yes Public beta!
    Public beta!
    Public beta!

8. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Because public betas are lots of work to operate and maintain. The testers don't have full access to the bug database, and hence there's lots of duplicate reports to weed through on a daily basis. And, most people who are in a public beta aren't disciplined enough to state the steps involved in reproducing the bug, or checking to see if it can be reproduced or is only a one time glitch and note that in the report, sorry to say.
    Read my reply above.

ew

9. rocadaburn

rocadaburn Forum Member

if it takes another 2 months to change the status to final testing, they should consider to just release the beta version at some state, without a qualified public beta test environment.... :| just to let people like me have fun with that one single feature one is looking for, e.g. MIDI Out for sounds - really can`t wait to use this!

don`t get me wrong I still believe Maschine is a great product with a huge potential, but some of the things in 1.1 are are so damn essential, I would have expected them in 1.0! Features as well as bug fixes... Beside the sad fact that time stretching didn`t make it into 1.1 :angry:

10. jbone1313

jbone1313 NI Product Owner

Although simply turning a public beta loose would (arguably) be tough to manage, I don't think its quite that difficult. Moreover, the benefits (more complete testing, enthusiastic and satisfied users, good-will) seem to outweigh the costs.

Consider:

• To some extent, perhaps you underestimate the ability of users to learn how to submit an appropriate bug report. Anyone that has the ability to get Maschine to power-up could probably do that.
    • Setting up a bug-tracking tool is not terribly difficult either. Small software shops do this all the time. Although, if the beta was limited to people who "sign-up", and are henceforth briefed on the appropriate testing procedures, then I don't see how that would make a public beta impracticable.

Such a testing scheme has seemingly worked quite well for Reaper.

11. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

Reaper is one product.

NI have numerous products (including Kontakt) being tested for 64bit updates.

IMHO, i feel it would be wrong to have Maschine made available for a public beta test.... it is too early in its life for this.

sowari

12. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

You'd think so, wouldn't you? The sad fact is that most users wouldn't bother to learn from what I've seen in various public betas I've been involved with.
    There is a bugtracker in place already for public betas. However, as I said, you still have to weed through duplicate entries; people aren't necessarily going to be describing the bug in the same terms. There's enough duplicate listings in the normal bugtrackers by people who should and do know better; I'd hate to be the one sorting through the PB reports.

ew

13. drfdisk

drfdisk New Member

It will be here before you know it, and it will have been worth the wait. A software company is going to do what they do. You cannot change their minds unless you suddenly become a 51% partner...

I have been a heavy PC gamer for 10-15 years now and if there is anything I have learned its patients. Try getting that shiny new game you have been waiting on for the past year, only to learn it crashes every time you try to play it. The only thing you can do is let it sit on the shelf for a month or two while you wait for a patch.

Be glad Maschine doesnt crash every time you play it and enjoy it until 1.1 is final. That, or keep the shoulda, woulda, couldas to yourself because it gets old picking through it looking for information that may actually help me. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. :p

14. dopebeat

I just can't sit back and wait

too excited!

yeah 1.1 almost here!

cheers!

15. GavinR

GavinR NI Product Owner

Can't wait for this ! ! !

16. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Seems to be working quite well for Propellerheads too. I have the beta of Record, and I must say its VERY impressive. Anyway enough bragging. I'm a big proponent of public betas. There could be criteria that users must adhere to in-order to qualify for the beta such as steps to follow when submitting bugs, nda etc, but in general they work very well. If opensource projects can do it with little to no budget, NI should be able to do it as well. Its just a matter of being organized and outlining what NI expects for users when they agree to the beta terms. Did I say Record kicks ass?

17. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Record's a lot simpler as far as compatibility issues goes, too. You don't have three different plugin formats to account for.

ew

18. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

The end of July, huh?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPomimLcB8"]YouTube - Native Instruments Maschine Update[/ame]

19. dopebeat

20. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

The two weeks seems optomistic for something just reaching beta.

There was a few things he mentioned that is not listed in the sticky for the update. How about an updated list with the rest of the features for us to drool over while we wait?
    ---
    Things he mentioned not listed.
    More sampling features
    midi export
    Zoom (from controller?)
    keyboard shortcuts

Hopefully these will all make it to the release and not just early things on the "to do list"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.