1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Blue Flashing Dots on New Komplete Kontrol MK2

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by benitol, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Yep…same problem on my laptop. No other audio software besides Maschine, and no other USB devices connected. I tried three different USB AB cables, including the ones I use for my Traktor Kontrol S2 mk2 and Komplete Kontrol S49 mk1 (which have no issues). Other than the screen glitches the hardware works perfectly. I haven't tested all of the IO ports, but I tested the headphone jack and it works.

The only common factor between my iMac and laptop is they're both running macOS 10.14.2. I can't imagine why that would matter, but I also can't think of any other reason why the service center would have returned von Klamke's device as "no fault found". It's very obvious something is wrong. It looks like a bug in the Matrix.

2. Stormchild

I exchanged my Maschine mk3 today. The new one has no issues with the display. Looks like this is just an internal hardware defect.

3. von Klamke

von Klamke NI Product Owner

4. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hello,
    Sorry just saw this post.
    Can you maybe PM your hardware support ticket number so I can dig a bit more information?
    Thank you :)

5. Stormchild

6. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Have you considered checking your power supply… Make sure it’s clean. Just a thought.

7. Stormchild

I'm using it bus powered. But I've also tried it with the power supply — makes no difference.

8. von Klamke

Well, for what it is worth I'm still waiting for a solution. NI support stated that they are aware of the problem and will get in touch with me sometime this week. Fingers crossed.

9. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

That’s not quite what I was talking about. You should be plugging your equipment into some kind of a power conditioner prior to the wall… For instance a Furman power conditioner.

10. Stormchild

The problem exists even when it’s bus powered by my laptop running on battery power, not connected to the power grid. Power conditioner is not the answer.

If it required a power conditioner to operate properly there would be hundreds of people complaining about this problem, because almost nobody has a power conditioner and it certainly should not require one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  11. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

I have the very same problem on a brand new S49 MK2 Limited Edition Black Keys:(...
    Only in the Mixer Mode heavy blue flashing dot lights. In Logic and in Ableton as well.
    I tried with or without Power Supply. I use no USB Hub. Checked on the Mac different usb ports. No help.
    Anyone solved it?

12. Stormchild

I’m not aware of any “solution” other than taking it back and exchanging it for a new one, and hoping the next one doesn’t have the same problem. I’m about to go back to the store to get my third Maschine mk3. I’m half expecting the new one to have the same problem again.

13. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

Are you sure that it could not be software related? I see it only in the mixer mode.

14. Stormchild

I doubt it’s a software issue. The first unit I had was much worse than the second. It had obvious problems on the mixer page of both screens even when the sequencer was stopped. On my current one it only affects the right display, and only when there are multiple mixer lanes with regular activity…and only when the lanes are all different colors. If it was software I’d expect the problem to be the same on both units.

My guess is it’s a hardware problem that’s only exposed on the mixer screen because of the amount and type of screen drawing activity.

The only way this could be explained with software is perhaps the firmware needs to be updated to address problems that are unique to very recently produced versions of these displays. Otherwise everyone would be having these problems. It’s much more likely the displays from the most recent production run are simply defective (or at least have an unusually high rate of failure).

In any case I contacted NI support twice in the past week and have received no reply whatsoever. Perhaps they’re aware of the issue. Who knows.

15. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

Mine is a Limited Edition Black Keys which has this issue.

16. von Klamke

NI is aware, I made them aware. I sent the k88 with this issue to them. At first they returned it, finding no fault. So another ticket was opened on March 26th or so. I am in constant contact with support team but no solution has been presented so far.

17. MadCapsule

MadCapsule New Member

I received my s49 Black edition two days ago and I have the same issue, it is most noticeable on any mixer screen (Ableton and Maschine). However, when I use the track view from Maschine the screens are crystal clear. Has anyone heard of a firmware update yet or should I contact the repair center?

18. MadCapsule

MadCapsule New Member

Yup, exactly the same for me. Have you tried the track view in Maschine?

19. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

They told me that there is eventually a possibility via firmware update but not sure yet. I sent mine back and ordered from another store, i keep fingers crossed that the next is ok...

20. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

Yes was better but not clean. And in browse mode the behaviour was weird. It depended what package i was on how intense the flickering was, thats why i decided to send it back