1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Breath / Wind controller and maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ALDREAD, Oct 31, 2020.

1. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Anyone ever used a breath /wind controller with Maschine ?

Just got one of these
    SUZUKI SMW-100 midi melodica
    And two of these
    SRW-100 Recorder

:D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  2. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

basehead617
    Do you use a wind controller with maschine?

3. GoKeez

GoKeez NI Product Owner

I’m also interested in this. Sold my EWI 4000S years ago but now considering another one or Roland AE10

• Like Like x 1
  4. djadidai

djadidai NI Product Owner

What is that?

5. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Not yet! I’m interested in the EWI for sure but have not pulled the trigger.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Cool ,I looked at those , the one I’ve just got is rare , it’s from 1989 , it came on eBay today, and I had a saved search alert , so had to buy it , actually thought I’d have to go to Japan to find one , because it’s so rare , it’s also brand new in the box , I’ll report back on how it works .

7. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

303DCD3C-01C1-4194-86E2-47D944EFCB18.png 12B47C60-A050-4EAA-84CC-4C7CED343C8E.png

8. GoKeez

GoKeez NI Product Owner

oh wow. Never heard of that. What sounds does it make. Is it like the EWI/Roland controllers with a built in synth? Or, does it make its own unique sound? I like the one with the keyboard...more like a vocoder where you can do chords...with EWI it’s more like real wind controllers and you must play several parts to create chords like seperate horn sections.

I absolutely love winds as the alto Sax was my intro to music. There is nothing like it for rhythm and melody creations. I just can’t do it with keys or pads the same.

EWI Usb is a cheap intro and iPad/iPhone synths provide a wealth of sounds. You can map CCs to cutoff, after touch, etc to mimick breath controll. A few synths by Korg, Magellan, and a few others have breath control options baked in.

im taking this thread as a sign. The universe is confirming that I need another EWI. They’re so damn expensive but it is what it is. (M+) + EWI is a whole orchestra of possibility!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

They’re only midi controllers , so no actual sound , like the akais and rolands .
    Hadn’t seen the recorders before, which come with the midi melodica , which is what I’m mainly interested in , from what I’ve read , its pretty rare , there wasn’t many made back in 89 , someone online claims 600 odd , there’s not a lot of info on it tbf , can’t find any YouTube vids of it being used .
    I found out about it from someone on Facebook who was using a nuevi -Berglund instruments.

Midi cc 2 is breath control , like you said a few synths have it ,Yamaha dx7 was one .
    You can also get these

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  10. skhm

skhm NI Product Owner

I assume all of them send out aftertouch, no?
    I which case it doesn’t gonna work properly.
    You’d also need a more advanced sampler like Kontakt as the built-in Sampler isn’t very expressive. Its modulation options are very lackluster. Unless you gonna do synthy stuff with Massive

• Like Like x 2
  11. GoKeez

GoKeez NI Product Owner

Patchman is by far the best resource for wind controllers. He created the following Kontakt instruments and soundbanks specifically for wind controllers.

https://www.patchmanmusic.com/kontakt.html

I’ll definitely grab these patches to control but I’m still gonna go for one of the instruments with a built in synth module like EWI4000s, which I had and miss dearly...or the Roland AE-10g and use much like a guitar, real instrument, etc. I bet running it through the new guitar amps is a blast.

Thanks to the OP a new controller is def on my todo list. Wife’ll be thrilled no doubt. Just dropped a few grand on a M+, K13U, A6 and Turntables

• Like Like x 1
  12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I read about patchmanmusic, I’ve got an xm which has the xv 5050 model, and he did patches for the jv xv and the integra
    I’m just trying to find out some more info .
    I’ll use it with kontakt , and worse case scenario I’ll pick up a sound module for it , or something

Patchman has a list of synths that support breath control
    https://patchmanmusic.com/WindControllerFAQ.html

13. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Got them today , working well with the xm , all the manuals are in English, the melodica sends channel aftertouch , volume, mod , sustain and portamento .
    The recorders are a little odd , I wasn’t really after those tho , but you can blow through it and use a midi keyboard to control the notes , I’ll probably be using the melodica more , pretty cool with the xm , gonna try recording midi to the + later B7173585-7285-4C90-8891-49DF887AE522.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  14. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

15. GoKeez

GoKeez NI Product Owner

Now that looks sexy!

• Like Like x 1
  16. jkq2010

jkq2010 New Member

I have the Tecontrol Breath Controller 2.0 and I tried to use it with the SWAM engine VSTs in Maschine. The stepped automation curves makes it a nightmare to record smooth expression so I used the controller with LIVE instead and its a much better experience.

17. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Did you try switching off the piano roll grid ?

18. jkq2010

jkq2010 New Member

Thats a v good point, been a while since I used it. I'll open Maschine up and give it a go.

• Like Like x 1