Bring back B4 II !

Discussion in 'B4 & B4 II' started by fenderchris, Dec 1, 2012.

1. fenderchris

fenderchris New Member

Vintage Organs may well be what NI call the 'designated successor' to B4 II, but it is not any good - B4 II is far better and the NI staff must surely know this.

Why alienate a lot of NI customers by not providing a 64-bit version of B4 II ?

Could somebody from NI *please* explain why this decision has been taken?

• Like Like x 2
  2. va3rwt

va3rwt NI Product Owner

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

It was discontinued for the same reason Spektral Delay, Vokator and Pro-53 were discontinued - old codebase that needed too much effort to port to a new codebase that supports 64-bit, AAX etc.

I am not crying nor missing B4-II, GSi VB3 is so much better in every regard anyways.

4. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

Today finally all my plugins are 64bit, except the B4 II! I'm on a Mac Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Digital Performer version 8. So I wondered how to keep on using B4 II in a 64bit environment. The solution (at least for my purposes) was relative simple.
    I start B4 II in standalone mode and in the MIDI preferences I have assigned Apple Inc. IAC Driver bus as the MIDI input. Back in Digital Performer the MIDI output of my controller (a midi keyboard) is set to IAC driver-1. And now I can play the B4 II from within my DAW, record the MIDI and play back this MIDI via the IAC Diver-1, everything within a 64bit environment. BTW IAC means Inter Application Communication.

So maybe this was already common knowledge but i thought it could not do any harm to mention this solution on this forum. So no need for inferior alternatives for the B4 II!

In a more complicated way manner I managed even to control the original B4 still sitting on an old PPC Mac computer and record the audio in my DAW. I always preferred the sound of the original B4 (especially the slightly distorted sounds) above the B4 II, so I'm happy to still be able to use this B4!

• Like Like x 2
  5. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Did you try feeding the B4II audio back into your DAW with Soundflower? Or are you using something else.

6. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

For the time being I'm recording the audio with Audio Hijack 3 using the option of capturing audio from an application, in this case the B4 II standalone. I import this audio recording in my DAW for further processing. I'm not really happy with this approach, I want to directly record the audio into my DAW. I have used SoundFlower in the past but actually forgot how to use it.

7. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

Well, I did dive again into SoundFlower (smells delicious ;-)) and found out one can indeed feed the audio directly back into (in my case) Digital Performer and record this audio on a stereo track. BUT you still have to use the IAC Driver. Only with this output audio is coming from the B4 II when playing my MIDI keyboard/controller. At least that is my experience.

8. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

I was wrong about the IAC Driver as the only MIDI output. In Digital Performer you can add your custom MIDI output via Setup/Interapplication MIDI... That's what I did. First it didn't seem to work, but then later on it did ;-).

9. nielsdolieslager

So now you can record your playing in DP and record it in DP after it's good, like B4 II is still a plugin ? Yay :)

10. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

Exactly!
    Still I encounter a few glitches/digital distortion in the recording of the audio. But maybe all this is a bit too much for my system...

11. nielsdolieslager

Does that happen if you feed recorded midi to B4II and record the output in DP? Or are you playing B4II live through your DAW and feeding the audio back into your DAW? The second setup will cause more problems then the first.

12. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

It happens in the first case you describe. But I think it is maybe a processor speed and memory problem. (I have a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core and 6 Gb of RAM (800 Mhz).) I'm in the process op upgrading my RAM, hoping this will help especially now the rest of my plug-ins are 64 bit.

13. nielsdolieslager

Your Mac should be able to handle DP and B4II, are you using other plugins when it happens?

14. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

No other instrument plug-ins when I tested this setup. I even disabled a lot of plug-ins which Digital Performer loads by default.

15. ilsici

ilsici New Member

I have a question: I installed the soft B4 II Nativeinstrument in Windows 10 (64bits) in Stand Alone mode and it does not work, the program starts but not displayed. Someone has this happened? I have used this soft?

16. ataraxist

ataraxist New Member

I'm not an experienced Windows user, so this is probably not the right answer, but maybe you should tell the system at some point that the B4 II is a 32bit application?