1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Browse folders using the X1?

Discussion in 'KONTROL X1' started by scrattyrat, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrattyrat

scrattyrat Forum Member

Is it possible to change the folder or playlist you are currently browsing using the X1? or can you only scroll through the currently displyed list?

Thanks

2. electrogrimey

electrogrimey Forum Member

There's a midi mapping to do this in the .tsi list. It's easy to do yourself, just map the browse encoder in MIDI mode to do it, it's called tree, and make it direct.

3. dj_walshyboy

dj_walshyboy NI Product Owner

Or if you want you can remap native mode (defualt mode when you plug it in) so you don't need to flick into midi mode to scroll your folders.. I find that cumbersome.. although you lose the ability to scroll through the track your playing, but why they had that as default is anyone's guess.. to me it's not particularly useful.. especially once you've set up your cue points, you can jump to wherever you want pretty easily..

I've got mine set up in Native mode so shift-browse scroll up and down the folder tree (just like scrolling the folder or playlist) and shift-load for collapse/expand the folder you scroll too.. just a personal preference.. there is plenty knobs and buttons to achieve a good setup without using midi IMO
    ---
    By the way, if your are interested in being able to scroll the folder tree in this fashion and don't mind loosing the ability of scrolling through a track I can do up a quick how-to guide

4. scrattyrat

scrattyrat Forum Member

Thanks walshyboy, i like the sound of what your sugessting and would rather not have to go into midi mode. Im also trying to work out how to switch FX panel mode from from chained to advanced and back again (probably using shift and one of the fx buttons/knobs that isnt currently used with shift) - so if you were able to do a quick guide for the tree browsing it would definately help me fugure out how to do other stuff like that too. Im sure lots of others would find it helpful too :)

cheers!

5. electrogrimey

To change from chained to advances is just global -> fx panel mode -> learn -> chained (or advanced, whichever you want).

6. dj_walshyboy

dj_walshyboy NI Product Owner

sure leave it with me

7. 1adam12

1adam12 NI Product Owner

@dj_walshboy:

I just got my X1 and I'm relatively new to Traktor (long time vinyl/cd guy here). If you could do a tutorial on how to change the shift-track scrub function to shift-tree browse, I'd be very grateful.

Can I ask a couple questions?

1. Once you are using the encoder knob for searching the tree, what if you have open or closed folders? Or do you want to open all folders before a performance manually with the mouse first so you can just scroll through up and down?

2. I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup file structures. Do you guys use iTunes or in what folder (I'm assuming playlists?) do you want to build your hierarchy of lists? From what I've gathered, you can have nested folders, but you have to have a playlist in each folder. Ultimately I was looking to have maybe 2-3 levels of nested playlists for how I tend to work.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

8. scrattyrat

scrattyrat Forum Member

Hi would someone be able to help out with a bit more detail on the exact steps needed to map an unused control (like shift + one of the effects knobs) to do something (like load some effects into all 3 effects slots?)

Started trying to do it but really struggling to understand whats going on with the control assignments....

thanks

9. electrogrimey

All you do is select whatever you want to control, hit learn, and then press and hold shift while moving the knob. Simple as that. Make sure the control type is set to knob and direct once it's learnt.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

As an alternative I have mapped the left browse knob to browse the tree and left the right browse knob browsing the tracks. Once you have the track selected using this method press the left knob to load into deck a and right knob to load into deck b. Simple and you don't have to lose any other functionality.

11. Miloopa Kid

Miloopa Kid NI Product Owner

I have done this myself plus Shift + Push left knob for expand/collapse tree.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Great idea ***DIVES INTO CONTROLLER EDITOR TO SET IT UP***

13. princesultan

princesultan Forum Member

question....

i'm interested in re-mapping in native mode so i can scroll through the tree and expand/collapse folders. i like the way you're describing it in that i could re-map my x1 so that in native move, shift + scroll knob would scroll through the tree (i wouldn't mind losing the ability to scroll through a track) and shift + push knob would enable the folder to expand or collapse. my issue here is that i sometimes press shift + push knob to view my tracks in browse mode (thus hiding the decks). shift + push knob would bring me back to the deck view.

what are my options if i don't want to lose the functionality of browse mode by pushing shift + push knob but would like to gain the benefits of scrolling through the tree along with expanding/collapsing folders?

14. leph

leph New Member

You won't lose any functionality with the said change, as browse mode - track select up/down are mapped twice in the original X1 mapping (for both left and right encoders). What the guys above have done is map the left encoder to Tree select up/down and shift+push left encoder to tree expand/collapse.

You will still have the original functionality in the encoder to the right, just when you want to load a track to deck A, you will pin it with the right encoder but push the left one to load it.

15. princesultan

i see. makes sense.

is it possible to map some of the buttons (example: play, pause, sync, etc.) so that when you push them, they open a folder that's located on top of the playlist?

16. myrobotlove

myrobotlove Forum Member

here's how ive got mine mapped:

right encoder: default (browse songs)
    left encoder: tree browse
    SHIFT right encoder: browse songs PAGE UP/DN (for faster scrolling of big playlists)
    SHIFT left encoder: scroll through favorites playlists
    right enc PUSH: browser window mode
    left enc PUSH: tree playlist expand/collapse
    SHIFT right PUSH: load B
    SHIFT left PUSH: load A

this way i can quickly expand/collapse playlists and find songs with minimal use of shift, and also prevents accidental track loading by moving the load function to the shift keys (i dont use "only load to stopped deck" for various reasons related to timecode)

the stock mapping with library scroll on both the left and right knobs seemed completely silly to me, although i can see why they did it to prevent people from accidentally loading tracks to the wrong deck.

17. electrogrimey

I just mapped this, but when I tried to also map the load buttons to collapse browser mode, I'm having a problem... It's in this thread.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112615

18. sdvega

sdvega New Member

is there a way to do this in serato?

19. myrobotlove

myrobotlove Forum Member

scratch live only has one mappable browse knob, but you can map a button on the X1 to "tab focus" which switches the focus of the browse knob from the right side of the browse window to the left so you can scroll through crates/playlists etc.

20. princesultan

ok, so i'm having a problem here. this is the 1st mapping i'm trying to change on my x1. basically, i want to use the left encoder by pressing shift so i can browse through the tree. i then want to press shift+push left encoder to expand/collapse the tree.

i clicked "add-on" and then added each respective function. then i clicked learn and taught the x1 exactly what i wanted to do. here's where the problem is....

when i press shift + scroll left encoder, with each folder i scroll up and down by, the track playing will play, then pause, then play, etc

when i press shift + push left encoder, the folder in the tree will expand/collapse, but the browser will also expand to hide the decks.

what am i doing wrong?

edit: is the problem that i have more than 1 function mapped to the shift + scroll left encoder for example? do i have to make sure every other function for the one i want to learn is deleted 1st?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.