Browsing Instrument Files

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Air Rider, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Air Rider

Air Rider Forum Member

Imagine there are 350 instruments on my hard disk, and I'm searching for the right one. So I want to play one after another until I find the wished sound. To do this via Drag'n'Drop is rather a pain.

I want to srcoll thru the instruments with a single key (e.g. with cursor up/down), just like on a synth. Is there a possibility to do it this way?

2. Dschungelfieber

Dschungelfieber New Member

I'd like to see this function also.

3. Air Rider

Air Rider Forum Member

ni, could you implement an instrument preview function like the one for wav files, with the ability to play an instrument via MIDI as soon as it is highlighted in the file browser?

4. Air Rider

Air Rider Forum Member

No reply from NI...?

... does this mean bad news regarding this wish?

An implementation of easy browsing could be so easy: an option to replace the actually selected instrument with the highlighted nki-file in the browser. This would be a very important improvement.

You did it so well with the FM7-bank list, why did you oversee it in Kontakt????!!!!

5. ronny priest

ronny priest Forum Member

Hello Air Rider!

I have to agree (so will everybody else i bet) that previewing instruments as well would be a big relief. I'm sorry that i can't tell you anything final about this feature by now but i'm pretty sure that it's getting considered for an update.

Besides, planning such a complex product might always drop attention to anything else but these tiny looking things. I'm sure you can expect more updates towards a really "final-for-everybody" product like all other NI products.

Greetings!!!

Ronny

6. Air Rider

Air Rider Forum Member

hi ronny, many thanks for your reply.

it would be very interesting, what other users think about easier instrument browsing and how they would see it implemented.

7. Leo

Leo New Member

I would like to see this browsing feature too.
    It is very hard if you are running the complete arrangement and you try to find the right bass eg. It would be easier to scroll through the instrument list.
    In the file browser the cursor keys are not implemented.
    If you serach for a sample it would be easier to use the up/down keys but not to click each sample.

8. ChrisA

ChrisA NI Product Owner

I strongly agree on that.
    I also use LinPlug RM III, where they have a similar feature.

9. Zappadoing

Zappadoing New Member

Yes, that would be the right way. Scrolling through the instruments like on a hardware sythesizer. I remember NI has this concept on its FM7 or am I wrong.

10. Leo

Leo New Member

NI don't forget of this !

11. Chris_Borgia

Chris_Borgia Forum Member

Understand that all audio software has a complex engine behind it making everything happen. In a situation like this with a request like this, look at what your asking for.

Synth patches are just numbers rearranging parameters by sending a different numeric value for each new patch- that is easy for SYNTH’S so you have simple quick patch changing, but for samplers it does not work like that. You have to load and map all the samples to be able to preview, so this is the time consuming part, and in my personal opinion is that it is just as time consuming as dragging and dropping the instrument to preview.

Now, at the same time I realize the importance of being streamlined, so a perhaps more easily implemented request that would yield a similar end result is the availability to select multiple instruments from the browser and then drag and drop all of them at once (max =16)

::chris_borgia::

12. ChrisA

ChrisA NI Product Owner

Hi there.

That time consuming part is on Kontakt's side. We're asking for reducing what we have to do.
    It's a task of the software to support the user as good as possible, not our destiny to live with what the software offers. And we are here to make suggestions for improvements like this one ;-)

Sure it takes some time to load big instruments into memory. One more reason for Kontakt to have disk streaming ;-)
    But imagine alot of smaller instruments, they are fast to load. Loading with 1 simple action would improve the workflow significantly.

Kontakt seems to lack good support for "higher" data structures like this issue or the import of whole AKAI CDs. The user is forced to spend just too much time.

Good :)

13. dr_jones

dr_jones NI Product Owner

just a curiosity question -

Will disk-streaming ever be implemented as
    a feature for Kontakt in the future?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.