Bug: either Kompakt or Cubase SX 2.2

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by swiharta, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swiharta

swiharta NI Product Owner

Every time I have two projects open in Cubase SX 2.2, and I close one, allowing the other one, which has Kompakt instruments loaded, to reload, as soon as it tries to start reloading the Kompakt instruments it crashes. This is very consistent, and any moderators confirm this? If I haven't described the situation enough, just let me know, thanks a lot.

Andrew Swihart

2. swiharta

moderators? can i get some feedback to my 2 week old post? thanks

3. swiharta

no reply in over 5 weeks from any moderator, the customer support truly sucks at NI. I hope your company begins to sink into the red severely, your business practices are awful.

4. clevermind

clevermind Forum Member

Hi,

you should find a file named cubasesx.log in your Cubase installation directory.

5. swiharta

clevermind, thanks for the info

I checked that log though, and recreated the error a couple times in Cubase, without any mention of the error in that log, then I cleared the log to make sure it wasn't "full" or somethine, recreated the error again, and still no mention of the error in the log. I guess Cubase gets so locked up that it can't even leave an error log when it happens. There are other Cubase and Kompakt errors listed in the log, but I don't think they are related to what I'm talking about.

I imagine someone else has got to be experiencing this. If any of you Kompakt users are using any Steinberg product, or any sequencer that allow you to have more than one "project/song" open at once (with one being active at a given time), just try this:

1) Open two projects, each having a Kompakt VSTi loaded with at least one sample
    2) Play each project for a short time (just to be sure they are loaded)
    3) Now close one of the projects, so that the other project loads again, and try to play this remaining project

Here's what happens for me, my computer nearly totally freezes with the "Kompakt loading patch" window frozen at zero progress. I then hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to end Cubase, and my computer is fine. Also, if I only have one project open at a time, closing previous ones before opening new ones, this problem does not occur.

Thanks for any response,
    Andrew

6. clevermind

clevermind Forum Member

Hi,

I have tried what you said and I have this problem too , without any information in log file.

I use Cubase SX 1.06 and the last update of Kompakt with DFD.

I don't think it's system related ( I have 1 Go of ram and loaded two small projects).

It seems that the problem occurs more often when Kompakt editors are left open.

7. swiharta

I've had multiple people in Steinberg's official Cubase forum confirm this bug as well, occuring with both Kompakt and Kontakt (v1.2 and 1.5), and with Cubase SX 1.06, SX 2.2, and SX 3.

I am betting this is a Kompakt/Kontakt bug.

If there is a moderator on this forum, can you comment on this? It really is kind of an annoying bug.

Thanks,
    Andrew

8. degeviol

degeviol NI Product Owner

I had this problem for at least 3 months. I posted it here (it's gone now), I discussed it with the a NI rep at length. Still: Kompakt just won't load.
    Where are the 'moderators'? Where is 'help'?

Wo ist die Hilfe?

Il y a quelq'un ici pour m'aider et les autres?
    http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/072979.ht
    ml

9. civilisation

civilisation NI Product Owner

just to also confirm: i've had this consistently occur, w two projects open.
    c

10. ReQUieM 2004

ReQUieM 2004 Forum Member

11. swiharta

this forum is an absolute joke, I will never buy NI products again, besides, they all seem to be the same product, with features added or removed, pretty boring, Komplete is the worst thing you could buy IMHO

thanks for your concern NI, you've really dealt with this bug well, and you will be rewarded with bitterness from your customers

12. degeviol

I am happy to report that Kompakt _finally_ works with Cubase SX 3.01 (12/16/04). What I find amazing that nobody acknowledged our problems. Just a statement like: "We know, we are working on it ..." would have been a minimal courtesy to users, especially professional musicians ...

13. swiharta

when you say working, do you mean this specific bug has been worked out? I had a feeling this was most likely a Cubase bug, since opening and closing one project at a time eliminated the problems this bug caused. Made me think Cubase wasn't properly unloading the previous instance of Kompakt before it loaded the new project.

As for Kompakt working, it has always worked for me, just this bug has been really noticable.

14. ReQUieM 2004

ReQUieM 2004 Forum Member

what are you on about?

15. degeviol

As you know NI Complete2 consists of 9 programs. From days _one_ Kompakt did not load as an instrument in Cubase SX, the other 8 did. But Kompakt worked without SX.
    I am convinced that the NI programmers could have figured out the problem (especially because of the 8:1 ratio). But inspite of all the emails, calls ...

ReQUieM 2004, of course, any program should run as advertised for professionals and non-professionals. Professionals sometimes buy software because it has certain features which makes it easier for them to incorporate into their 'creation process' (and to save time, etc). In the case of Kompakt: there would have been a way to work around it, but why spend the time? All the other 8 worked. Where was the NI's courtesy saying: 'a programmer checked into it...'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.