1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Build with Reaktor and win!

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Mick @ NI, Jul 16, 2018.

1. SamDi

SamDi New Member

Ah OK. Thanks for the information.

2. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

• Like Like x 3
  3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I can't vote. You don't select my fav: Kursk. :thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Michael O'Hagan

Michael O'Hagan NI Product Owner

It would be nice if the voting was public, so we could see who was in the lead.

5. Mick @ NI

It's purposely done like this, we don't want the current ranking to influence a persons vote. That's also we randomize the order on the voting page

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Like in U/L.

7. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...that's a good idea for the next Beat Battle. :D

8. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

9. Mick @ NI

Seems the editor did not change the intro of the article. The closing text is correct: Go vote on your favourite now, and check back after September 20th we’ll announce the winner on this post.

I will get the intro changed next week

10. Michael O'Hagan

I have a suggestion regarding future Reaktor builders contests.

There should be a yearly builders contest with a cash prize + hardware and software winnings.

I think it should go like this.

The deadline for entry is September 1st every year.

This gives us a whole year to develop something amazing.

It must be a %100 new and original build.

It cannot be already in the user library.

It must have a professional looking GUI.

The first place winner will be the yearly NI Christmas gift to the world powered by the Reaktor player.

1st place prize is as follows.

1. A $5000 cash prize.

2. A hardware unit of your choice, I.E. Maschine or a KK keyboard or a Traktor controller in case the winner already has Maschine or KK keyboard.

3. A free license to every software program that NI makes for 1 whole year

If the contest winner is given away to the whole world in the reaktor player then the builder should get enough cash to update their music studio, a $5000 cash prize can cover the cost of a new top of the line laptop along with a new guitar, bass, speakers or whatever else they want or need to update their music production rig.

NI gives out a free Christmas gift every year, which we love, but instead of having someone on the development team build it let the user community create it and win a substantial yet reasonable cash prize to upgrade their music rig.

Not having to pay the hourly wages for an employee to develop something offsets the cash prize and basically breaks even for the company while giving us a better incentive to create something amazing in Reaktor.

A user built Christmas gift helps show off what you can do with Reaktor as a user and it's just a cool concept.

2nd and 3rd place go into the user library only.

2nd place is a hardware unit of your choosing and a full license to all software for 1 year, like first place is now.

3rd place is the one year of all free software like second place is now.

we (reaktor builders) have collectively created more instruments and new design ideas than the rest of the music market combined over the years, we should have a chance to win something that allows for us to upgrade our music studios each year, while NI gets some super cool instruments to use as the yearly Christmas gift while giving the builder some promotional exposure for their efforts.

What do you guys think about this?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Why? Isn't the standard Reaktor GUI enough for a good sound?
    If a song is ready nobody of the listeners can see the professional looking GUI!

12. Michael O'Hagan

If there was going to be a cash prize contest with reaktor player free christmas release it would make sense that the instrument should look professional as well as sound it.

sound is the most important thing in a musical instrument, but if we're going all in for a global christmas gift with a cash prize then a professional appearance is reasonable to be expected.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. herw

herw NI Product Owner

isn't possible and not sensible because every developer uses his own creations (macros etc.) more than once ;) you too i think

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Is this a professional look?

upload_2018-9-16_10-48-45.png

Or WHAT is a professional look in your mind?

15. herw

herw NI Product Owner

or this ?

upload_2018-9-16_11-42-57.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. Philippe

Philippe NI Product Owner

Difficult topic. Concerning projects that will be presented not only to Reaktor fans, I would prefer using the terms « readable », « easily understable ». If it’s nice (to my esthestic taste), then even better. The potential problem for builders is they are so deeply invested in their projects (all this time involved !) is that it’s easy for them to see the interface they created as obvious and natural. So if the term « professional » means thinking about GUI a little longer, I think it’s OK for this kind of wider audience projects.
    It’s a different thing if the project is not aimed at a wide audience. I must say I use with the same great pleasure the nicest blocks or ensembles than a one using the standard Reaktor GUI elements. More important for me is functionality, sound and fun !

• Like Like x 1
  17. toto le robot

toto le robot NI Product Owner

the GUI is a complex topic because if you really want to do someting different you have to do it with a CGI program, meaning that you have to learn a new software.
    and what if the GUI looks professionnal but the programming is not optimised for cpu usage?

I think it would be better to redo this competition every month, with the fact that you can't repost the same ensemble with the same version twice.
    it will show that native appreciates the work done by builders. and to push some builders to go the extra step for a better ensemble.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Michael O'Hagan

I didn't mean new in that sense, I meant it cannot be something from the user library that you built years ago, It should be a "new" instrument built specifically the contest.

19. Michael O'Hagan

Yes, I would say that looks professional.

I just think that if it was going to be a globally distributed christmas gift it should look nicer than the stock gui.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

This one is in progress with some snap builders
    upload_2018-9-16_22-47-43.png

And comes with a pdf manual to understand the ins/ ens