Building Blocks - Interface Pitfalls / Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Brett Lavallee, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee NI Product Owner

Screenshot (454).png
    Drop shadow effect made in Reaktor, using the Layer system.
    Step 1) Copy the text module you want to create a drop shadow for, and color the text black.
    Screenshot (452).png
    2) Reduce the copy's layer by one, so that it always lies under the title. Avoid using layer 0.
    Screenshot (453).png
    3) In settings, turn off "Snap to Grid" and move the shadow a few pixels so that it looks 3D.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brett Lavallee

Making a 3D LED to match any background. (I used GIMP for this.)
    Screenshot (455).png
    1) Zoom in on your background image at the area you want the LED, and select a circular area.
    Screenshot (456).png
    2) Use a Bevel effect to create a bump shape.
    Screenshot (457).png
    3) Now select the center and cut it out, to make this area transparent.
    Screenshot (458).png
    4) Select another circular area around the transparent space, and use the Bevel effect again. We now have a nice 3D shape. Crop the background out of the picture and save the shape as a .PNG
    Screenshot (461).png
    5) In Reaktor, load the .PNG as a picture. Make sure to place it in the correct area of the background, it should blend in nicely. Notice in the picture above, the image is in the wrong area, so the square of background around it is showing.

I could have trimmed this closer to the lamp itself, without leaving the background, but it demonstrates the need to think about your placement carefully. Even if it was perfectly trimmed, the lamp will still probably look best in a place close to the original image's location.
    Screenshot (460).png
    6) Once it is placed correctly, align a lamp element with the image. Set the lamp's layer number to be less than the image, so that it always lies behind it. You now have a nice 3D LED!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Brett Lavallee

Resizing Blocks Labels, the exact method.

Screenshot (83).png Problem 1: After renaming your label, you find that part of it has been cut off.
    Screenshot (128).png Increase the size of the Label & Value stacked macro here, to reveal the entire label.
    Screenshot (128).png Problem 2: Your label is too far to the right. Move the stacked macro left until it lines up correctly.
    Screenshot (129).png Problem 3: When you move the stacked macro, your value gets shifted to the left.
    Screenshot (130).png This macro cannot be moved, since it is inside a stacked macro.
    Screenshot (131).png Instead, simply increase the width of the value module to equal the width of your text. This shifts it into place.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Brett, I don't found nothing. Please give an example. Which Block have this function?

5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Brett these points are for creating rounds on edges. You can see dark ones on light gui's in every edge of an instrument.

6. Brett Lavallee

Repost..
    The final hint, aka the finicky one pixel glitch!
    This is a problem you might have if you make Blocks from the Blocks template.
    Did you ever notice these bright pixels at the bottom corners of some blocks? If they bother you, like they do me, try setting your instrument panel color to about r36 g36 b36. The dots were a pixel of the instrument panel showing through!
    Screenshot (132).png

I don't think they were intended, they don't look good. When you make a custom Blocks background of perfect size these specific pixels still show through. In newer factory blocks like West Coast and Kodiac they have set a dark panel color to correct this problem. The problem is only with original factory Blocks and Blocks made with the Blocks building template.

This is such a small thing I feel I shouldn't have even commented on it. Most people will never notice it.

I deleted the original comment because for a while I thought that it was due to my own graphics card or resolution settings, but then I looked and started to see them in other people's screenshots as well.

I posted this because people that make Blocks with customized backgrounds might wonder why there was always one bright pixel showing at the bottom of their backgrounds, like I did in when I started.

If anyone can confirm this glitch that would be helpful.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  7. Philippe

Philippe NI Product Owner

Yes, there are one (or more ?) leaking pixels each side at the bottom of NOTE IN that disappear when you change bg color;

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

upload_2018-4-17_22-1-19.png
    This is the left upper edge of Extinct Monsters.
    My bg isn't round. Reaktor transform it to round.

9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

upload_2018-4-17_22-4-20.png
    extreme rounds of desiderata

10. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

upload_2018-4-18_0-34-51.png
    This is an extreme zoom. On normal setting my graphic card shows nothing.
    Or I use a loupe on my screen.

11. Philippe

For the pro dev guys here : Sample From Mars is "looking for an experienced audio plugin developer to join our team".

• Like Like x 2
  12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Philippe, do have a link please?

13. Philippe

There is no link, it's a direct email. I'm not sure how they want it public :-/.

THE TEXT :
    The Position
    • Our mission is to develop the most high quality, forward-thinking instrument plugins based on our current and future sample libraries
    • This is a remote or NYC based (preferable) audio plugin developer position
    • A chance to become an integral part of the SFM team in its earliest stages of audio plugin development
    • Compensation: Competitive; TBD
    Requirements:
    • 3+ years experience developing audio plugins for macOS and Windows applications
    • Experience working in JUCE framework
    • C++ and DSP skills
    • Portfolio showing previous software development
    • Experience in audio engineering, music production, and a deep understanding of synthesis and sound design
    • Passionate, exceptionally talented, highly organized and openminded
    • Longterm availability
    To Apply:
    • Introduce yourself in one paragraph - briefly describing your experience, your greatest strength as a plugin developer, and why you are a great fit for Samples From Mars.
    • Attached a resume
    • Include link(s) to your portfolio / a finished plugin you have developed
    END OF TEXT

May be I can add the email address for reply ? Or let's say I will PM it if somebody asks for it...

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  15. Philippe

• Like Like x 1
  16. niki11

niki11 New Member

I need your help.so I make modular synthesizer . I must know how to make wires and inputs. SyntonFenix.jpg

17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

18. Vanhapolle

Vanhapolle NI Product Owner

Somehow i dont found these knob macros and other areas these other macros. what should included in block building ens file if i am correct if not where they are?

19. Vanhapolle

If dont yet udnerstand how i put text what describe what knob etc does and how i set their range as well. Normal knobs i know this (even their renaming need little moment found how is done). and i found Label/Value sub element/module/macro what i understand is something do this but no luck. i dont still found place where texts and scale for this kind knobs is set.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  20. Vanhapolle

I found how set range is multiplier but even changing values i cannot extend range to 1-200. max value what element want show is 100.