1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Buy Maschine MK3 in 2020?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Peter Petersen, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Peter Petersen

Peter Petersen New Member

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about buying a Maschine MK3 as my good old Maschine Mikro MK1 won't work with macOS Sierra anymore (and I'd be excited to upgrade my hardware anyway :D).

The MK3 is still pretty expensive in my opinion, considering that the hardware is 3 years old by now and I'm already owning the software.

So I have two question for you guys:

1) Do you think it is still worth to buy a (new) Maschine MK3 in 2020 or do you believe that there will be a Maschine MK4 soon that one should wait for? Personally, I don't really see a reason for NI to release a Maschine MK4 in the near future because even the Maschine+ is still pretty much the same as the Maschine MK3 (besides the standalone function obviously) – so apparently there is not much that NI wants to update hardware-wise at the moment.

2) If I buy a Maschine MK3: Can I still use my "old" Maschine 2 software (which I always updated of course) that is already installed on my laptop? I can, right? So I wouldn't have to use the new software license that comes with the new Maschine MK3, would I?

I appreciate your answers!

Have a good one!

2. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Yes, you can use "old" Maschine 2 SW with MK3, no need for reinstall....

Hard to say, if there is MK4 awaiting. I guess, no. Maschine+ is exactly the same factor. Well, there might be MK4 with slightly different 4D controller and slightly different rotaries.

I guess, Maschine Studio and Maschine Jam need some kind of replacement in the first row. Sort of modular things to expand MK3/M+ would make sense.

Why not buy MK3 seconhand?

3. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

I bought a second-hand (almost new) MK3 for 395 euros, which seems to be a common going-price here in Europe.....very happy with it..

4. Peter Petersen

Thank you for your reply! :)

Buying a used MK3 is an option, but I haven't found any good offers yet. Most of the time the used MK3s I saw were not remarkably cheaper than a new one...

5. Peter Petersen

Oh ok, that seems like a legitimate price :thumbsup:

6. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I've seen even cheaper. Down to 300 EUR. I bought mine for 380, two years ago. Almost new and it was still in garantie for two more years...

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

First off.. I don't believe in "newer is always better" (usually this remains to be seen) and owning an Mk3 myself I can really recommend it. Who cares if the Mk4 would launch in March next year? You'd still have 4 months of quality Mk3 usage.

And for what's it worth I somewhat doubt it. The Maschine+ just got released so it seems logical that NI would start by focusing their attention there. I'd also expect some parts of the Maschine software to change in order to cater to the Maschine+ (vs. the Mk3).

But like I said before... who cares though? The Mk3 is a very solid controller which does an excellent job of being both a drum machine as well as a production system (I mostly use mine to experiment with all parts of Komplete).

You can indeed. If i recall correctly you're also using Maschine version 2.12, right? Nothing will change apart from an extra license blip in your NI license overview. It's just like upgrading Komplete: you get a new serial but existing software simply remains "as is".

Hope this can still be useful for you. For what's it worth I love my Mk3 and it's one of the best controllers I have.

8. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

I predict there will be a new controller next year. After NI's knee jerk reaction to Ableton Push (Jam) they released the MK3 and then the MK3 micro. Now that they've release their reaction to MPC Live (Maschine+), I expect to see a new premium controller released and 3.0 software release. Either that or a Machine+ with a battery and speakers. Who knows.

9. toneyrome

[QUOTE="
    And for what's it worth I somewhat doubt it. The Maschine+ just got released so it seems logical that NI would start by focusing their attention there. I'd also expect some parts of the Maschine software to change in order to cater to the Maschine+ (vs. the Mk3).
    [/QUOTE]

Either that or they abandon Maschine+ like they did Maschine Jam.

10. fmq

fmq NI Product Owner

[QUOTE="toneyrome,

Either that or they abandon Maschine+ like they did Maschine Jam.[/QUOTE]

unlikely.Jam did not sell much it seems but M+ is already a winner and sells like hot cake.That's what i heard from an internal at least...

11. Peter Petersen

Thank you! :)

12. Peter Petersen

Alright, thank you guys for your responses!

I will try to pick up a used one :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Some kind of replacement might come for Maschine Studio, which is very, very old. Or maybe Jam, but NI said no Jam 2. :-( I would love modular extension to convert Maschine MK3 to Studio MK2.

Maschine 3,0 I do not know, but I doubt it. It would be wiser to release it before or together with Maschine+. If not under time pressure. Now with Maschine+, it will be much harder to make big changes to Maschine SW.....

14. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto NI Product Owner

I wouldn't bet on an MK4 any time soon. I feel like if they had any new features they wanted to add to the hardware, they'd have done so with Maschine+ rather than keep the layout and size of the unit exactly the same.

I am starting to wonder if we'll see Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK3 soon, though, what with all these supply issues. Could just be virus related, or they could have a new model coming soon (hopefully with faders and maybe even some pads).

• Like Like x 1
  15. toneyrome

Maschine 2 was released in 2013. Next year would be almost double the time it took to go from v1 to v2. While I appreciate the incremental updates, there has to be some vision about where this product is going.

• Like Like x 1
  16. methlab

methlab New Member

I have the Mk3 and it seems fine now to me. They keep improving the software and it's already a great product as is.

• Like Like x 2
  17. blitze

blitze NI Product Owner

I did, after owning a Mk2 for a couple years I decided on the upgrade. I think the controller user interface is quite well developed and changes will be more in software.

Now I need to get down and dirty with it - learning time.

Then again - I could be wrong but - I would be surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Well, what about Windows 10? It will stay 10 forever. And still evolving forever...

There could be Maschine 3 soon, but it would mean to change everything in Maschine+! Lots of work and testing. It seems to me unprobable, NI would almost double the development cost of Maschine+. Unless they had very good reason to do so.

I may be wrong and in one or two years Maschine 3 will come. But I strongly doubt it.

19. toneyrome

I don't know that Maschine+ is the future of Maschine. It seems more to me like keeping up with the Jones. If it turns out to be popular, they will support it. If not, their history tells us they will act as if it almost never happened.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

But they cannot kill it in few months, or even a year....

D2, S5, Jam - they all lived for 3 years or so..... So, I would not expect Maschine 3.0 sooner than in 2 or 3 years. If Maschine+ fails. And later, if succeedes.

I may be wrong.