Buy Maschine MK3 now or wait for a possible Studio MK2?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by j.silva, Sep 28, 2018.

1. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

To those of you who.... oh wait, I'll just respond to you directly instead of passively. Like some of you.

I never said NI sucks, I said IF that is what NI did, etc etc....

But thanks for giving qualifications to the rest of us about what we can and can't say on here if we have never released any software. Remember that the next time you ever have an opinion or criticize something, you better make sure you made a version of it yourself, or else by your lofty standards you won't be able to have an opinion.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. addhitman

addhitman NI Product Owner

Let's clarify;

1) J-Fly: "I still say it’s possible that the MK3 is the unofficial replacement for the Maschine Studio and is actually the Maschine Studio MK2 in disguise".

2) Uwe303: "Yes I see it the same way".

3) District Onagi: "If that is the case then NI sucks".

Ok, pay attention now... it's gonna get tricky and suspenseful here... (pull up NI software and program a drum roll) ...

The summary of these comments followed by your statement means...

*If the MK3 is the unofficial replacement for the Maschine Studio and is actually the Maschine Studio MK2 in disguise, then NI sucks.*

Please let me know if I've misconstrued your statement. Have a nice day.

3. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

If he’s an owner of Maschine, as we all are, why do you care about who posts what that you don’t agree with. Take your own advice and bounce out of this topic. Hell, talk about what it is that you like about the platform since you’re so bothered.

4. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

:D u guys crazy

but really thx to all that have replied so far

5. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Like Akai’s?

6. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I can’t imagine going from the excellent jog wheel with my right hand to the mk3 knob with my left hand. And the sound/group/master volume with the endless encoder is awesome.

7. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

I just got my laugh for the day.
    While I realize "NI sucks" is a very bold, somewhat overbearing statement.....when it comes to the Maschine software, its not that far off planet earth. I mean just look at the landfill this forum has become of meaningless and desperate threads downright 'begging' NI to fix the Maschine software, for years now. Maschine as a software, in my opinion, barely competes with the heavy hitting DAWs these days. Its a cleverly disguised marketing ploy to sell hardware units and get more suckers swimming in the NI pool. Its a big joke that has been playing out for the last 3 years since I've owned my maschine. Its a very sad story really.....and I don't think NI gives two ingrown ass hairs about it...which is the really sad part...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

Honestly, I haven’t even really used the software. To busy having it unplugged out by the pool and making music :)

9. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

kinda hate you...:mad: but in a good way...:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Quite simply that's a logic fail.

One doesn't have to be a writer to have a valid opinion on a book, a director, or producer to have one on a film, a painter to have one on a painting...

I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.

Everyone, including yourself, has the right to an opinion about Maschine, but to disregard some because they are not coders etc, is a foolish stance to take imo.

Any artist who gives NI advice or criticism, based their personal experience, of using the software and hardware, is someone who can potentially improve Maschine for the benefit of all of us.

• Like Like x 7
  11. hoserjose

hoserjose New Member

If it aint standalone + solar powered....i aint impressed

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

Solar powered would be nice. Living in Puerto Rico (major hurricanes) that will come in handy. :D

13. GreenScienide

GreenScienide New Member

So... after that circle of in fighting, did the OP really get any good answer or make a decision on this? :eek: Also, serious question: for those of you not using Maschine, because it's lacking for you right now, what equipment ARE you using instead until NI releases a version with whatever would satisfy you? Seriously curious. :)

14. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No, and he won't get one either because it's a subjective topic based on pure speculation and not facts.

Personally, I don't believe a Studio MK2 is coming anytime soon if ever, clunky huge controllers are probably more expensive to manufacture and have a smaller target audience not to mention that NI seems more focused in investing in more portable devices.

Here are the release dates of recent hardware:
    Jam - Sep 8, 2016
    Mk3 - Sep 7, 2017
    Mikro Mk3 - Sep 6, 2018

Releases look rather predictable so IF there's a new Studio-mk2 it would probably be released or announced early September 2019 hopefully alongside a new major software version.

You can be unsatisfied with something and still use it. Personally, I have been learning and adapting to Ableton Live and more recently I have been playing around with an FL Studio Demo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

Probably the best post on this thread. Thanks.

After giving some thought I decided to go for a used (mint condition) Studio instead of the MK3. Here's my reasons.

1) I'm still on the MK1, so the Studio actually will be a step up for me since I'm already on 2.7.8
    2) Not a mobile producer by any means. None of my gear leave my room besides my laptop. Space not an issue for me.
    3) I already have a decent audio interface.
    4) Some of the "live performance" features like the Strip etc are cool, but not for me.
    5) We all like shinny new toys, but the reasons above don't justify the $600 (plus tax & shipping to PR) at the moment.

Of course I will miss some features, the bigger pads, lock feature seems dope and a few extra dedicated buttons. But the studio has plenty of dedicated buttons that the MK1 is missing plus the Master section. I guess I will enjoy the Studio until NI releases a direct competitor to the Akai MPC X, whatever that device will be. A Studio MK2 or a Maschine MK4. Paz.

• Like Like x 1
  16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No prob. I can also be wrong and a new Studio drops November this year, I would wait another month just in case.

Price difference won't be much... A used M-Studio should run you about 500$, just be careful buying used especially if online because some sellers don't send the software license transfers, since you own an MK1 and the software already maybe you can even find a deal with no soft license, up to you. MK1 to Studio will definitively be a nice upgrade even if new a Studio mk2 drops, if it does it will be around 900$ so, double of what you paid for the used MS.

I have grown to like the MK3 a bit better than the Studio but each has pro and cons on little details, keep in mind that IMO there won't be much if any development for the Studio specifically, I believe new software stuff will always be made to work well with the new models in mind, I say this because for example the FILE load/save as Menu could easily be added to the Studio but so far it hasn't, there is no reason for this other than the Studio not being the focus anymore. (I was even able to add it myself by modifying some software files so it's definitively not a hard dev task)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

That's one thing that pisses me off a little bit cause I bought studio for being the top product but like you said some things work with mk3 but not with studio even if just little things.

Uwe

18. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

Actually I found one mint for $300 (no software). Hopefully I will have it soon. Will keep you guys posted on this. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  19. m-chop

m-chop NI Product Owner

Wait. They are on software version 2.7... it shouldn't take them an entire year to jump to 3? i mean... they were on 1.8 for a year, then they jumped to 2.0.. ok nvm lol

The current MK3 replaces the studio, and the studio MK2 will retain it's flagship status.

20. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

Version numbers are arbitrary. They also don't have to stop at .9. There is no reason they can't have a 2.11 or a 2.13. <major>.<minor>.<revision> is the usual scheme, where there is no correlation between a minor version >9 incrementing the major version

• Like Like x 1