1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Calibration issues after sleep mode

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by GarySan, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

@ afatshock

Yep man, i think that leopard is definitly the problem, but since its the current version of mac osX, i hope NI will adress those issues.

I bought my mac with leo suffed in it, so i have no copy of tiger and got pretty used to it (quick look, spaces, etc....).

2. Agent of Kin

Agent of Kin NI Product Owner

I have a problem with 1 channel failing calibration. No amount of resetting or restarting has solved it.

It happened one night a few months ago and it took me nearly 3 hours to get everything to magically come online.

Then last weekend it happened again, at both gigs I did, this time it did not come online at all.

In the past I've had these problems and usually a restart fixed everything. But now it is consistently troublesome. Which is not overwhelming me with confidence.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

how does the calibration circles look like?
    what error message is given?

4. Agent of Kin

NG:
    If the normal/good circles are clean round lines. The problematic circles were scrambled, wobbly or noisy (sorry, no screen shot). The error, from memory, was just "Calibration failed".

Now, somewhere in this forum I read that someone had a similar problem and after reinstalling the driver the problem was fixed. So i've just tried the same thing and my problem was fixed... however I don't know that the problem existed immediately before I reinstalled the driver. But I do know that a month ago when I had consistent problems I reinstalled TS and upgraded everything and then had a few weeks of trouble free traktor scratch (or TS3 actually). Then the problem reappeared, I reinstalled the A8 driver and the problem is gone.

So at this point I am suspecting the driver gets a little messed up and reinstalling it might fix it. I will try everything out again this weekend and be able to report more next week. BTW I don't have any CDJs or anything at home to test with. Has to be at a gig.

5. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

The calibration problem after sleep mode is totally gone with the 10.5.3 update.

And yes Mista Quartz, u were right about the recalibration button, it's by clicking 2 times on A or B near the calibration circles. Thank you for that!

6. Agent of Kin

OK this is really starting to fook me off. Traktor is consistently giving me a problem when I start a gig. I thought reinstalling the driver was fixing it. But not last night... here is the run down:

1. At home I tested traktor. Both channels calibrated fine. I dont have CDJs so I play back the control CD track from my iPod.
    2. Start gig last night. Audio CD in Channel B and control CD in Channel A.
    3. Channel A calibrates and plays. Mix into that channel.
    4. Swap Channel B to control CD. Traktor will not calibrate Channel B.
    5. Quit Traktor. Reinstall driver. Restart laptop, boot Traktor.
    6. Now with Audio CD in Channel B, try control CD in Channel A
    7. Now Channel A will not calibrate.
    8. At this point I notice that traktor shows calibration failed regardless of a control CD playing or not. Rings do not change.
    9. So I unplug everything and go to just audio CDs and restart traktor
    10. Now traktor is showing "waiting" on both channels
    11. So I plug in Channel A and mix in... calibration works
    12. Then I plug in Channel B and mix in... calibration works

So... back at home now I try something out. (note the pictures will be posted in additional replies due to attachment limitations).

1. (Picture 1.png) Boot traktor with regular audio playing through player input
    2. (Picture 2.png) Traktor shows these rings for about 30 seconds then falls into...
    3. (Picture 3.png) Unknown medium calibration failed. If I play back the control CD track(track 02) it looks the same, except the deck plays backwards.

Next test this time booting traktor with nothing playing.
    4. (Picture 4.png) both channels happily waiting for an input
    5. (Picture 6.png) play back regular audio and it goes haywire until it fails to calibrate and then I try the Control CD track
    6. (Picture 7.png) looks like Picture 3.png and behaves the same way, playing backwards and everything

Final test, again playing nothing:
    7. (Picture 8.png) again decks happily waiting for something. So I start to play back the control CD and...
    8. (Picture 9.png) finally the deck plays and calibrates as expected.

For interest I then plug the ipod into channel B and it plays and calibrates as expected. Finally I plug it back into channel A and play back audio and it doesn't try to calibrate. Great!

This isn't a fluke. I can repeat this test over and over again.

I deduce that Traktor attempts to calibrate with the first source it receives on a channel, if this happens to be normal audio the calibration fails and cannot be recovered without restarting traktor. If traktor starts with either no audio source or a control cd it will calibrate fine. After that regular audio can be played without causing traktor calibration to fail.

I will submit a link to this information to support.

7. Agent of Kin

first lot of attachments

Attached Files:

8. Agent of Kin

last lot of attachments

Attached Files:

9. DJ Freshfluke

dumb question... after changing from audio to control cd, did you try to just recalibrate the deck (tracking panel A,B buttons deselect/ select again)?

10. Agent of Kin

Not a dumb question really, but yes I did try that. When I say nohing can recover this fault except a restart of Traktor, that is what I mean. When the deck shows calibration failed I have to restart,

Side note:
    Armed with this information I was very careful how I setup last night. Making sure no audio running into the input. However, with the input set to Vinyl the deck failed, even with nothing attached. I assume this is due to the phono level input in a very loud venue. So quick restart, change the mode to CD and everything worked flawlessly.
    ---
    i'd love it if a few people could test this with their setups.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  11. Agent of Kin

NG: I would like to make a point that when I try to recalibrate with the A/B buttons I have been doing the wrong thing. That is to recalibrate Deck A I have been pushing C then back to A. This does nothing. If I click A then A again... it works... amazing.

Additional feedback:
    I have now tested this bug theory on another laptop with traktor scratch and with a CDJ1000Mk3. The bug appeared with this environment. We also tried swapping out laptops, A8DJs and cables. Every combination had the same fault.

PS.
    I have lodged a support ticket and have since had a response. To which I have replied twice and have had nothing back... is this normal? Should I expect responses to replies?

12. DJ Freshfluke

deselecting/ selecting again one of the A/B(C/D) buttons triggers a fresh calibration.

so if you had e.g. a channel missing on the first calibration, then get the channel back to work, it will not be updated in the software until you recalibrate the described way... ;)

regarding the support: please let me know the ticket number!

13. Agent of Kin

I did get a response from support yesterday, which looked like this:

"if you send music to Traktor Scratch before a Control Signal has been sent, Traktor Can not calibrate. If this happens, you have to re-calibrate when theControl Vinyl is running. You do this by pressing the blue "A" button of the tracking panel (in the details section) twice."

My response to that is
    a) Traktor should be able to calibrate whenever it receives a control signal
    b) I do not recall this "feature" being covered in the manual, nor do I recall the recalibration feature being covered either.

Anyway, there is a consistent workaround. But I would like to see this either fixed or very clearly covered as a warning in the manual

14. DJ Freshfluke

TS manual 7.1 The Calibration Process
    The Calibration is triggered when you assign an input to a deck in TRAKTOR Scratch by pressing one of the Deck Assign buttons labeled A or B above the scopes.

but you're right, it's not explicitely said that in case of a failed calibration and eliminating the cause you just have to trigger the calibration again. ;)

15. mycole

mycole Forum Member

If you're having a calibration issue as in Unknown Media in Traktor Pro, try this:

Open your Audio 8 DJ Settings panel and check TIMECODE CD/LINE.

Worked for me.

16. nikoStar

nikoStar Forum Member

I have the same issue running Windows Vista. Problem being the audio 8 DJ doesn't read the CD Players, or turntables when it comes off sleep mode, or is inactive for a period of time. I usually just restart Traktor to resolve the problem, but it would be nice if this just worked. I am still using just Traktor Scratch version 1.3.0.

Any help would be nice, thanks.

More problems to come in another thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.