can audio 2 run passive speakers without amp

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by mumbles, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mumbles

mumbles NI Product Owner

hi guys, so im using a behringer studio 4A mixer the now and running that into an amp for power to my speakers, prob is my amp is on the way out so here is my Q.. would the audio 2 interface be good enough to replace the amp? or do i need a new amp? next Q, is anyone running this mixer by running the phono leads straight to passive speakers ie no amp or interface required? im classed as a bedroom dj just for fun so not looking to be really loud but enough that the neighbours can just about hear lol.. i have really understanding neighbours :) ...

any replies would be great
    and thanks in advance

2. Abebe

Abebe NI Product Owner

3. mumbles

mumbles NI Product Owner

Thanks for the reply.. yea i looked at them before, seem to say need active speakers to work but the specks for the sound output is pretty high
    db that's why wasn't sure if could run from that alone without the amp to be honest dont need the audio 2 if i buy a new amp so its one or the other .. would rather go with a sound-card before amp as less problems

cheers

4. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

You def need an amp.

5. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Sound cards and amplifiers are completely different things. The Audio 2 can only output a few milliwatts to a pair of headphones for example; whereas speakers will typically be using 10W+, and will be too low impedance for the A2.

6. mumbles

mumbles NI Product Owner

cheers guys that's what i needed to hear .. actually thought that but wasn't 100%

merry xmas hope you all have a good one