Can I use a foot pedal on the Maschine MK3 to enable record in the Maschine software?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Hit-Man, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

We've all been there, you're playing the perfect drum beat or you have a 4 or 8 bar pattern looping and you're playing something over it with the perfect timing and wish it was some way to hit the record button without stopping what you're playing because you know once you stop playing and go press record you're going to lose that groove and rhythm you had before you stopped.

So... can a foot pedal be used on the Maschine MK3 or the Maschine Studio to enable record in the Maschine software?

2. Asteryx

Asteryx NI Product Owner

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

yes it can..

sw 1 default is play and 2 is rec (iirc)..

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Asteryx

Asteryx NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

6. Cornish1999

Cornish1999 New Member

Noob question sorry, what pedals work well with Maschine?

7. JaredVogt

JaredVogt NI Product Owner

Here is a quick note on using a midi foot pedal.

I use Sample mode as a very fast "multitrack" mode to record guitar/bass parts. With guitar on, managing Maschine with a foot is much easier than the controller and waaay easier than the mouse (got really tired of banging my guitar against the desk). I wanted a way to go through the whole sampling workflow with a foot pedal. I have come up with something that works REALLY well for me (warning mac only). I am using a Logidy USB pedal and Keyboard Maestro. I will detail how it works below. i wanted to very quickly put Maschine in Sample "Start" mode (from any existing context), trigger a Record with Count-in and be able to cancel, re-arm "Start" to record again or stop the transport. I figured out how to do this with a single foot switch, that cycles through all of the "modes" (by keeping track of its current context).

[​IMG]
    Switch 1
    First click
    : Shifts to Sample mode on currently selected sound and puts sound slot into record `Start` (this works from whatever context you are currently in)
    Second click: Start Record with Count-in (equivalent of `ctrl+space` on keyboard or `shift+rec` on controller)
    Third click: Cancel current sample (if pressed before end of sampling - Maschine is still playing)
    Fourth click: Put into `Start` mode again (do this in the last 4 beats of a loop for recording to start at beginning of loop again - so practice your part, and when ready... click in)
    You can just keep repeating this whole process until you are happy with your "take."

Switch 3
    Clicking is context sensitive. If Maschine is playing, it will stop. If it is stopped, it will trigger "Restart." This switch is applicable all the time. In the context of Sample mode, when done sampling, just step on this to stop the transport.

BTW, "Arm" on Switch 2 is redundant at this point - I figured out how to use Switch 1 to arm "Start" - just didn't pull label off and reassign switch to something else useful. Primary candidates for Switch 2 are 1) move the focus "down one sound" to quickly record another part on the next "track" or 2) automatically insert an event on current sound that is full length of the current pattern (I end up doing this over and over again by hand... put in step mode, insert event, twist knob to lengthen to full pattern length).

I have created a bunch of useful Keyboard Maestro macros to automate Maschine workflows. I am going to work on cleaning them up and creating a Github repo to make them available to anyone that is interested.

BTW, behind the scenes, Keyboard Maestro is being triggered by MIDI notes from the Logidy pedal and then moving the mouse around the interface and clicking and/or triggering built in Maschine keyboard shortcuts. I have studied Maschine's interface so that I have unchanging "anchor" points that can always be referenced from... and then all other movements are relative to those reference points. It is surprisingly effective and fast.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thronechild

thronechild NI Product Owner

Does keyboard maestro have to be open and full screen for this workflow? What if it’s buried inside of a DAW like ableton in a track and not showing?

9. JaredVogt

JaredVogt NI Product Owner

Keyboard Maestro engine just runs in the background (the only evidence it is there is a little icon showing in your menu bar). To be clear, the Maschine window does have to be the top window (although technically, the first step in the automation could be pulling it forward to be the top window). I did build this with Maschine running stand alone - it should work fine if it is running as a plugin - I will test that out as well.

I am going to try and figure out how to do a screencast - then can demonstrate directly.

10. t2k

t2k NI Product Owner

If you have a simple single foot pedal switch with a TS jack, then you can still use it to toggle Recording instead of Playback by putting the TS jack only halfway into the TRS socket on the Mk3. Like this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 19.19.25.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kimbo72

Kimbo72 NI Product Owner

Thanks for your tip.

12. Justin Hights

Justin Hights New Member

Hey can you possibly help me get this up and running in keyboard maestro for my maschine mk3 just want to get my pedal to start “restart” after stopping anywhere in the sequence. I would love to have any advice and or info you have on this

13. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

You can use any (on / off) pedal.
    Which polarity he has does not matter.
    Important, connect the pedal if the MK3 is off.
    Then turn on the MK3, and this now looks for itself what kind of pedal is connected. Here also an image for if you want to make it yourself.

footswitch dual.jpg

René

14. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

So wrong...but I couldn't resist:

Just the tip.jpg