1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice
  2. You can find all the latest news on macOS 11 (Big Sur) and Apple M1 compatibility for our products here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013515618

Dismiss Notice

Can Maschine sample while a vst in Cubase?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mr Mahogany, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Mahogany

Mr Mahogany NI Product Owner

I was trying to route the audio from a vocal track in Cubase to sample in Maschine last night and couldn't see how to so this. I searched the word sample in the manual and can report that its as useless as previous N.I. manuals. This thread has a response that seems to say that this can be done in Logic but not Cubase.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81450&highlight=sample+input

Is this true? If so how do you set the audio to go out from Cubase to the Maschine sampler input.

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

If you have the 1.0.3 update- sure you can. Use the Maschine_FX plugin on your audio track.

ew

3. fastestmanalive

fastestmanalive Forum Member

I usually load Maschine FX on its own audio track. Then within the VST connections create a 'Secondary Stereo Output' which I then put as the input source on the new audio track, and as a send from the track I'm sampling from. You need the monitor function enabled on the Maschine FX track.

Doing it this way means you can apply other VST's as inserts and capture the processed sound on the sample too...

4. Mr Mahogany

thanks to both for your quick replies. I got a phrase to sample but haven't tried the suggested routing yet. So far the sample is there but can't get to it.Any other practical input using Cubase would be appreciated.

I've had my Maschine for 3 weeks now and I can imagine the usefulness but can't seem to get there. From what I can see the last update added the vstfx functionality for Cubase? My question is why can't N.I. document this for users? It seems the policy is install the update and guess what it does.Maschine info is still tucked away on a flash site that I'll never see (can't update my net pc for this) and the main site can only push Kore,Kore,Kore. This is really frustrating.There should be tutorials and examples for the leading daws on the main site and this should be updated for new updates.

5. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i agree with you!

sowari

6. Nord Kietz Rocker

Nord Kietz Rocker NI Product Owner

o cool, this way it works on my samplitude10 as well.

cheers
    TheTunk akaMike

7. Mr Mahogany

I printed this out and tried step by step ,over and over and it wouldn't sample. Did you mean a second stereo output or setting up the Maschine fx as group fx under vst connections. Thanks for responding

Any other exaples of how Mashine is used to get samples in Cubase would be helpful to me.

8. fastestmanalive

I'll try and explain it a little clearer... I'm using Cubase 5 so the terms will apply to that version. Cubase 4 is similar, but anything earlier than that may have slightly different wording.

1. The first thing to do is to open up the 'VST Connections' from the devices menu (press F4). Then as well as having the main 'Stereo Out', add an extra bus to create a 'Secondary Stereo Out'.

2. Then in the new project, import or record the audio file you wish to sample on its own track. Then in the track inspector on the left-hand side, click on the 'Sends' drop-down. Here you will be able to select the secondary output from Outputs> Stereo Out 2. You then click the standby icon to activate the send channel and pull the fader up to 0db.

3. Next, add a new audio track into the project screen. Then click on the tracks input source, it will allow you to select the 'Stereo Output 2' as your input. Now activate the monitor function on the track (click the speaker cone icon so that it turns yellow).

4. Once this is done, load Maschine FX as an insert effect on this newly added track. Within the Maschine window, click on the sampling icon and under the 'Record' tab make sure 'Ext' (external source) and 'In L + R' is selected. If you now press play in Cubase, you should see the input meters within Maschine's sampling browser recognise the activity. Then hit record! I usually use the 'sync' option from Maschine as the track I'm sampling from is generally at the tempo of the project - this means you get a perfectly cut sample.

This is the way I tend to do it - there is probably another way, but doing it like this means that you can here the playback of the sample as you are not using the main stereo out and alos use other plugin effects on the sample track's inserts. I would also reccomend saving this setup as a Cubase template so you can quickly load it again in the future.

I hope this helps...

9. Mr Mahogany

fastestmanalive:
    Once again thanks for taking the time for the step by step on this. From reading again ,your first exlanation was clear and I did the same thing but I must have missed something. I'm using CB5 also. When I got to arming Maschine for sampling I could see faint meter activity but not enough sound to break the -24db threshold. Anyway ,before anything else I'll try again.

Its commentary that you've done more to help than Native Instruments (not the forum mods) who still won't lift a finger to post tutorials to explain this or especially step by steps for main features for the popular DAW's like Cubase.

10. Mr Mahogany

fastestmanalive:
    Thanks for the patient step by step. Got it working! Mistake I made from your first eplanation was not setting the send vol to 0 on the track I was sampling.

Wish I could take a few dollars of what I paid for Maschine and give to you. I really feel that N.I. is pretty lame for not posting this kind of info anywhere

11. fastestmanalive

I can understand your frustration...

Switch the dollars for pounds and now you're talking! Ha.

Glad to be of help though :D

12. jete246

jete246 NI Product Owner

Damn, thanks for that. It works pretty damn good actually! All my Cubase projects contain a 'pre-master' out to which I've routed all my tracks. So I just use that track to send the signal to the audio track where the Maschine FX is inserted. Then all I do is 'Solo' the track I want to record and I'm off! Fantastic workflow.

I like to record a chord of one of my running VST's into Maschine, and then mangle the sound as a sample from there. I can just load the sample in Maschine as it appears immediately in the Maschine Library, play it back instantly on my midi keyboard, apply fx, reverse it, chop it up etc, etc. Messing about with samples rather than a synth is such a different approach and it really is awesome to have best of both worlds in such a quick and smooth workflow. The Maschine is just amazing that way.

Two things that bother me though:
    1. Renaming of recorded samples can't be done easily.
    2. Switching between Maschine VST instances is a bit cumbersome and the display on the Maschine doesn't highlight the current instance (probably a known bug by now).

Anyways, thanks again for the instructions! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.