Can maschine's transport control a daw's transport in plugin mode?

Discussion in 'Public Beta Discussion 1.5' started by jonespnice, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonespnice

jonespnice NI Product Owner

Can you start/stop transport using maschine in plugin model? Also can you tap tempo from maschine?

2. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

Usually what was is the features list

3. jonespnice

Yes but the host automation is a bit unclear and I am hoping that it allows you to start/stop the daw from maschine.

4. pawcut

pawcut NI Product Owner

no it doesn`t when i got ew right in a recent post...

5. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Too bad. :(

6. errortrax

errortrax NI Product Owner

Yep too bad indeed.
    Does anyone know if this is a really complicated feature to implement? I mean will it ever see the light?

7. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

if it was easy would'nt you think they would have implemented it?

theres many daw's and they all behave differntly, lets hope they do get it in the next update.

8. errortrax

Can't speculate on how NI gives priority to what they decide to implement, but i would say that there are still some "easy" features missing, like an arp for example... Anyway, just asking.

9. Mads L

Mads L NI Product Owner

Press shift + control and go in midi mode. Press shift and click templates and select the mackie control.
    Set up the mackie control as control surface in your host, cubase, live or alike. Refer to your DAW documentation for how to do this.

Now you can use the maschine transports to work with your host. You would have to switch to midi mode to use the mackie controls.

10. jonespnice

Yeah but that's not the same thing, it would be nice if the transport controls sent out midi messages (not in midi mode) so that you could keybind the transport controls or if there was a way to only have the transport controls operate in midi mode while everything else operates in maschine mode.

11. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

+1

12. jbone1313

jbone1313 NI Product Owner

13. errortrax

Thanx Mads, but i was already aware of that.
    I just don't want to have to switch to midi controller mode to operate the transport of my host, it just kills my flow. As Jonespnice is saying, I would like Maschine's transport to be able to do that directly from Maschine/sequencer mode. Is that possible to achieve? I mean the pads send midi to my VST's in Maschine mode, so can't they send simple on/off messages to the hosts transport too?

14. Mads L

Mads L NI Product Owner

I am afraid not, described above is as close as it gets for a few resons. We cant split maschine mode and midi mode to run over the same protocol with the current implementation.
    We cant hardcode the transports to work with a DAW without bypassing the maschine functionality, or without building in a surface config for maschine.

Good request though

15. errortrax

Thx again Mads for the follow-up ;)
    But could a feature like this be included in a future update, is it feasible?
    Or does "building in a surface config for Maschine" mean that the hardware itself would have to be modified...?

16. Mads L

Mads L NI Product Owner

No probs.

We have this request mirrored in our internal tracker, which means product design knows about this. They would have to come up with a way to solve these things without destroying the base functionality of maschine. How that is solved practically is a wild guess and not mine to make. But one could wish for a small version of the midi mapping software sitting in preferences, for free config of the maschine encoders/pads etc.

This one is known and tracked but for the future I can only encourage you guys to enter feature requests, when you come across small improvements that would help your workflow

17. b-righteous

While it would be nice if Maschine could send out transport messages to your DAW, I think the main issue is just being able to control it's own transports. Forget sending out the sync. If Maschine could use just it's own transport controls you could sequence in Maschine without awkward toggling. When you are done sequencing you can then engage the slave sync to your DAW for mix down. The biggest issue is that this is interrupting the creative process for recording ideas on the fly. Specifically for those using Maschines internal sequencer with midi out.

We just want the plug in version to operate like stand alone and have the option to not slave to the host. Just like it functions in MOTU BPM. Would just this part be any easier?

18. errortrax

Since i want to sequence everything from Maschine, VST's and hardware gear, I need it to be able to control the host's transport. But having both options as mentionned by b-righteous would be great, especially if enabling Maschine's transport to work for Maschine as a plugin can be implemented faster... although I guess the whole transport thing will probably be implemented all at once.

19. b-righteous

My point is you don't!

There is no need to control your host transport at all until your are ready to mix down! You only need Maschines own transport free and not hardwired (locked ) as being a slave to the host transport. Then Maschine could sequence itself and VSTi while your host sits idle with full transports available in Maschine. There is no need for your host to be in play.

Maschine stand alone gives the option to toggle this but the plug in has this option removed.

20. Komplexed

Komplexed New Member

I agree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.