Can you increase the CPU limit of maschine indefinitely?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by meibi fuukou, Jul 30, 2020.

1. meibi fuukou

meibi fuukou New Member

Hello
    The text may be strange because it uses google translation.

"Can you increase the CPU limit of maschine indefinitely?"

I'm using the latest maschine2 with 80GB of PC memory, but at 25GB maschine playback almost stops working.
    At this time, the CPU usage rate by maschine's task manager is about 30%.
    I don't want to use this because converting a maschine performance into a waveform makes it difficult to change.

Also, it would be great if BPM could be set for each scene.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes, it sounds strange.

Technically there is no limit on the CPU usage, however, depending on settings (especially buffer size) a project can be unplayable even though it doesn't reach anywhere near 100% usage. Also, Maschine has no hyperthreading, so if you have a CPU with a lot threads (virtual cores) it will never reach 100% because it does not use the threads, only the real cores.

What do you mean by "memory"? Ram or Disk space?
    What computer do you have? Do you have a lot of tracks/fx in your project?

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/different-tempo-in-each-scene.269580/

3. meibi fuukou

meibi fuukou New Member

Thank you for your answer.
    I am sorry that the sentences are incorrect.
    Memory means RAM.

Intel with a lot of virtual cores I'm using core i9-10900K.
    The buffer size is set to 2048.

Do you have any plans to add hyper-threading in the future?

4. D-One

No problem. :)
    Google translator is far from perfect.

:eek:
    That's an insane amount of Ram, + 10 Core CPU and your buffer size is enormous, even without Hyperthreading you should have no problems. I have a more modest 8700k 6-Core + 16GB of Ram and I can run like 40 Maschine stock Groups at a buffer of 128 or less, all playing at the same time, thats around 500+ Sounds and FX...

Are you making projects with 200 Groups or super-intensive plugins or something? Maschine isn't really designed with that in mind.

I do not work for NI, I am just a forum moderator but if I had to take a guess I'd say there are no immediate plans, people have been asking for better CPU performance for many years. Maybe in the next major version if we are lucky.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  5. meibi fuukou

meibi fuukou New Member

Thank you for your warm words.

Almost every project has over 30 tracks. Each track, including strings and choir, uses compressors, EQs and more.
    With the master plug-in you will almost never be able to play.
    Maybe the plugin is making maschine2 heavy.
    We look forward to the addition of hyperthreading.

6. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I'd be curious to understand better how Maschine spreads the workload on all cores.... most of the time, it doesn't seem to use more than 3 physical cores...I always kind of Max up cpu usage , even though it doesn't use all the cores, and unfortunately doesn't take advantage of Multithreading either.
    If there was a better way to spread the work load , it would be nice to know the best workflow to take advantage of the available power.
    I try to create several groups as I kind of understood that the workload spreads better, but it doesn't seem to work that way...most of the time, it ends to saturate Core 1 , with plenty of power available left but Maschine doesn't take advantage of it.... it is a real bummer as that is probably the only reason why I can't make a full track in Maschine. I really hope this will be improved in the future as Maschine remains for me the best possible workflow for composing and mixing

7. D-One

That's odd, you have the same CPU as me and my results are pretty nice. If you want to PM me a project where you're maxing out and I'll test it here and report back, maybe it's your cooling, CPU bios settings, OS settings, idk...

The only way I could replicate what you're describing was to only use one single Pad in Maschine and stack up 15 instances of Ozone-9 on it, it basically uses only 3 cores but this is quite an odd and extreme scenario - probably related to how different tracks/groups get spread out thru the CPU but my DAW's behave the same (altho have the advantage of hyperthreading.)

Heavy loads are spread pretty evenly here (see from the screenshot in the spoiler above) usage does slightly decrease for each core but it's a very small difference. For lighter loads, the usage decrease for each core is more drastic, afaik that happens because there's no need to spread evenly if it's not necessary, this is consistent with all other applications I use. (Audio, 3D, Video, software compiling, etc...)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. D-One

30 tracks is really not much.
    Test your plugins one by one, turn them off/remove and see if there's a specific one that causes issues. I've had problematic plugins before with memory leaks / cpu issues.

Generally speaking, Maschine is not designed for super heavy plugins, it has no Plugin Delay Compensation which is arguably something high-end mastering and analog emulation plugins need.

9. meibi fuukou

meibi fuukou New Member

30 tracks are producing sound at the same time. Possibly the sound source may be heavy.
    Some plugins are heavy by themselves, but if you use them for the master, it will be heavy regardless of which one you use. Even plug-ins that are light by themselves are heavy because they are used multiple times for each group and sound.

The lack of delay compensation is also a problem. I unavoidably didn't use any delaying plugins. (Other than the master)
    Analog uses UAD plug-ins. So far there is almost no delay.

10. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Narrowing down my issue on the project, it was Skanner on Reaktor hogging the cpu. Very strange it was an insane amount. I'll double check if multicore settings in Reaktor must be on or off .
    Anyway I took everything out and will stick out to arrangement and will finalize in Ableton...will see.
    I really hope hyper threading is on the road map