1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Cannot record distortion

Discussion in 'GUITAR COMBOS' started by Michaelrlw, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaelrlw

Michaelrlw New Member

I did some looking around for any similar issues and i did not find any solutions.I apologize before hand if i overlooked anything.

I'm currently having a problem with the guitar combos saving the wav files with no distortion.
    Anytime i open the file in audacity it plays clean with no effects.I would like to know how to record it as i hear it in the amp software.

I'm sure there's a simple solution i just can't seem to find it.

2. mdf25

mdf25 Forum Member

If your using a DAW, put Guitar Rig on the input bus, not in the audio channel. :)

3. Michaelrlw

Michaelrlw New Member

By input do you mean the input slot on a sound card?
    I hope not,because this computer is new,and it's pretty good but it only comes with one pci slot.The one pci slot is being used right now by my wireless card =\
    I have a sound card but that would mean losing my internet unless I bought a USB wireless adapter or something.

Thanks for the quick response =]

I'm using the iAXE 393.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. mdf25

mdf25 Forum Member

By input, I mean the input channel of your DAW, like Cubase or something. It depends how you record, whether you do it from Guitar Combos itself (I dont know if you can do this) or through a music production suite... But I think if you record through guitar combos, it would naturally save the wav file with no effects so that you can open this in guitar combos and try different effects out. Try looking in options and seeing if you can adjust the tape deck options.

If you have a DAW like cubase or logic, protools etc, add an audio track and press monitor so you hear the sound coming in. Now open the mixer view and open the inputs section of your mixer (make sure you can see it, and make sure audio is coming in via the input) and then add guitar combos as a VST or AU in the effect slot on the input. When you record, you will get the recorded distortion and effects as well.

You won't have to change your soundcard since that isnt the issue. :D If i can find out anything I will let you know.
    ---
    If guitar combos has 2 tapedecks, record on tapedeck 2, that might work.

5. chico jones

chico jones Forum Member

Well, I'm confused, before reading the suggestions below, please answer this: How are you getting your guitar sound into the computer without a soundcard? I don't think it's possible, so you must be misunderstanding something. Plus there are plenty of USB soundcards available (also called audio interfaces) so you wouldn't have to give up your PCI slot.

Anyway, if you're getting guitar sound into your computer, I think there must already be a soundcard working in your computer. You mentioned using Audacity to play back the recorded audio. Are you using Audacity to record the audio as well? If so, you probably have "line in" selected as the input for Audacity. The line in will only record the clean sound of your guitar coming through the line in (of your soundcard).

To record the sound of the guitar and the effects from Guitar Combos with Audacity you need a "record what you hear" option on your soundcard, it can be called other things as well. My old Soundblaster called it "stereo mix". Not all soundcards have this. If you have it, it should show up on the drop down menu in Audacity. This option will record whatever is coming out of your computer's speakers, not just the sound coming in to your computer.

If you don't have this option on your soundcard, Audacity will not work for you. (Unless you have a second computer, in which case you could send your speaker output into the line in of the second computer and record with Audacity there. But this is an unusual solution.)

Your best bet is getting a DAW (digital audio workstation) like mdf25 mentioned. Reaper is free to try and fully functional. Other DAW's include FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton Live, Sonar, Pro Tools, Logic (Mac). It may take awhile to learn how to use them, but to just record distorted guitar should not be too difficult.

6. Michaelrlw

Michaelrlw New Member

My computer has an onboard sound card.My current setup:Computer is plugged into guitar via USB,then from the headphone output to the AUX in my stereo.

So far what I've recorded is on guitar combos,when we play it with the effects it sounds nice.But it saves without the effects,so when i open up the file we recorded in audacity it plays back clean.

I wanna know how to save it with the effects.

I

7. chico jones

chico jones Forum Member

Ah, I see, you're using a Stealthplug or something similar?

Read the rest of my post above.

As I mentioned above, your soundcard needs a "Record What You Hear" option to record the distortion with Audacity. Check the drop down menu on Audacity where you select the recording source (line in, microphone, etc.) If you don't see an option for "Record What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix" or something similar, Audacity won't be able to record the guitar with distortion.

If you can't do it with Audacity, Reaper should work. It's free to try and is not restricted in any way. Even if Audacity works, you should think about trying out Reaper (or any of the other DAW's). There will be some learning involved but it's the better way to record.

Plus, once you get the hang of it and download some free instruments, you can use a DAW to add drums, synthesizers, keyboards, just about anything you want. It may open up a whole new world of possibilities for you. Good luck, have fun.

8. Topher1

Topher1 New Member

It's kinda like a stealth plug i guess but the guitar(Behringer iAXE393) itself has the USB connection on it. I've only had it a few weeks but I love it. But i have same problem of only being able to hear clean sounds once ive recorded. If i find something ill let you know.

9. hrdryder

hrdryder New Member

Recorder in Guitar Combo?

If the newer version of GC has a built in recording function, use that to record with effects. I'm using Guitar Rig 2.0, it has this function. Other outside programs should also allow you to record the virtual amp sound, but I can't advise how to make this work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.