Cannot save koresound that contain Absynth 5

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by p8guitar, Jan 17, 2014.

1. p8guitar

p8guitar NI Product Owner

When I try to save a koresound that contains Absynth, I get this error message:
    Native Instruments Kore 2
    Error loading Sound file
    owc1:Users: (username):Music:Native Instruments: Shared Content: Sounds:test Absynth 5 vst.ksd

I can save a koresound that contains any other plug-in, and I can save sounds from within the Absynth stand-alone app.
    Any suggestions how to fix this?
    I think this happened after a hard drive swap and time machine data recovery. I had serious problems opening koresound, a lot of yellow questions marks. the I copied all preferences and application support files from the old hard drive to the new one. Now only Absynth makes this strange problems in kore.

Peter

2. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Great, I have that too, with both the AU and VST version, bypass switch on or off. Thanks NI.

The latest update of Absynth (5.2.0) has some new features (waveforms or something?) which are not in the engine version of Absynth. I guess it interferes with how Kore is programmed to communicate with Absynth.

I don't know how to fix this, guess I'll need to downgrade to 5.1.1.

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Damn - NI need to fix this - it means I can't convert new soundbanks into Koresounds any more with Absynth.

4. nielsdolieslager

Don't hold your breath. The Maschine 2.0 problem was a Maschine problem, this is a Kore problem. Maybe new soundbanks open in 5.1.1?

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Well I see it as an Absynth problem - Absynth patches saved fine as ksd before the update and so do patches from any other plugin including third party ones so they need to fix the problem in Absynth to make it compatible with all hosts

6. nielsdolieslager

Not with discontinued hosts. This means FM8 and Massive will become incompatible too when they add new features. It might be solved when they go to the next major version. But then again, GR5 gets confused with GR4 by Kore as well.

7. p8guitar

p8guitar NI Product Owner

I went back to Absynth 5.1.1 today and now I can save an load the koresounds that contain Absynth again. Thank you both very much for the hint, I wouldn't have thought about the Absynth update being the culprit!
    I suppose that NI is not aware of this problem, because support told me just to reinstall the newest Absynth version.

8. nielsdolieslager

You're welcome.
    Support doesn't know everything that NI knows :)

9. nielsdolieslager

Support suggested a workaround: save the performance as koresound. So I updated back to 5.2.0. It saves alright, but when I open the performance Absynth loads in default, not with the preset I tried to save :)

10. januarycivil

januarycivil NI Product Owner

Same here.

11. januarycivil

This harks back to a discussion in summer of 2011. I didn't want to upgrade then, but I do want Absynth in x64 finally. So of course I finally get it at 5.2. I quit following this back then. What I remember is past a certain point, Absynth 5 saves this .nabs which, evidently borks a Kore performance in either form. I'm shocked to see someone say it ever worked.

But it means that for hundreds of KoreSounds I have created, I'm using Absynth in Kore2 in 32-bit in VE Pro. I'm probably not going to be seeking 5.1 for this, I'm tired of dealing with it. The whole thing has been a terrific PITA, including A4 in Kore2 (for one thing the whole internal version vs the final version issue; then Kore2.1.4 doesn't like Absynth 4 ('Absynth 4.vst has caused a problem and won't be scanned', again...) it's been just botched in so many ways.).

I'm just going to open A5 in VE Pro and forget about Kore x64 basically, and use VE Pro to send to FX. Life is actually simpler this way.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  12. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

Anyone tried with 5.2.1?

13. nielsdolieslager

Nope, ServiceCenter says the only change is that it's compatible with Kontrol.

14. Amdur Eledhwen

Amdur Eledhwen New Member

this happens to me relentlessly; the problem is [also] that the custom saved Absynth sounds created in order to perhaps save them with the Kore sounds do not show up in the Kore browser, they are basically not available. I have tried moving Absynth and also Massive files to all sorts of directories Kore might be scanning, rebuilt koredb and cache, this that and the other — to no avail. Not a single sound I freshly place anywhere shows up in the browser.
    When saving the performance as sound, its sub-sounds will not load the correct absynth files, but dragging the sub-sounds into the Sound Edit Area will load them (manually only)…

by the way, is there a thread that deals with and explains all the different NI directories for samples, sounds, libraries and databases on a Mac? it's utterly confusing!

HOW does one downgrade?? I cannot find any previous versions anywhere… I think this has worked for me in the past but I cannot find the previous versions now…

Thanks everyone for help!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  15. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to dump Kore in favour of the new Akai system. At which point, my Komplete 7 may well be up for sale for a knock-down price.

16. nielsdolieslager

Website menu -> Support -> Downloads -> Updates -> log in to see all your downloadable updatesNative Instruments files are in:
    Applications\Native Instruments (apps, Reaktor factory library)

Users\Shared (standard place libraries and ensembles are stored)

{Username}\Library\Application Support\Native Instruments (in Finder, use top menu, click Go and hold Alt to make user Library visible, select Library)That's where databases are stored, very important for Kore 2 maintenance.

Library\Application Support\Native InstrumentsThat's where factory presets are stored. Factory installed koresounds are in the Shared Content\Sounds folder.
    Documents\Native Instruments
    Has your own stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amdur Eledhwen

Amdur Eledhwen New Member

yep, same here! thanks a mill for the advice, sounds are mostly being recalled correctly!
    i found though, that after my downgrade (and having started 1. Absynth in Standalone, then Kore2), Ableton as host to previously saved Kore Sounds asks me to update the plug-ins (again?) — and this is where Ableton crashes. There might be some other malfunction than to do with Kore but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew… I had to replace the Kore entirely in those projects and before doing this no sound would be produced. Does that make sense to anyone?cheers!
    thanks also to #nielsdolislager for the explanation of the directories!

18. nielsdolieslager

Don't have Ableton.

19. januarycivil

To downgrade, I would uninstall and start from your founding installation and update to 5.1.1.

this whole thing is ultra weird. I had the same thing as Niels where GR 4 & 5 opened any pertinent .ksd empty. THEN, after I'd somehow accidently deleted the Kore2.app and forced to rebuild it, it all works. I remember this crap from back to 2011, I would have inexplicable issues and reinstalling from the ground up, repeatedly. This has got to be the worst piece of audio software I've ever used.

20. januarycivil

Actually as I go back with my recollection, I had that with Guitar Rig 4 .ksds back then and sorted it. More than once, I'm sure.
    Then I see Niels talk about it and I go to reproduce his issue and I totally did have the same issue. It's kind of hilarious really.

I save everything I do so uninstalling is not anything. AFAIK, user name/Documents/Native Instruments/Shared Content is the default. I browse and have a pretty elaborate nested situation there.