Can't hear sound from other applications other than GR5 when using ASIO

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by slyspree, Apr 16, 2017.

1. slyspree

slyspree New Member

Hey guys, I've been using gr5 for a while now and its been great. Its certainly better than my cheap ass amp! The only problem is I cannot jam along to music or watch tutorials on youtube while playing on gr at the same time because I can only hear sound coming from gr5. Im using a 2$ adapter i got from amazon. It's a 6.35mm to 3.5mm converter jack, it works great though. Can anyone tell me how can I fix this? Can I use anything else rather than ASIO?

2. solger

solger NI Product Owner

3. slyspree

slyspree New Member

if i use wasapi will there be any differences? I dont think latency will be a problem i have a preamp that i can use to eliminate latency

4. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Well, in this case using WASAPI will let you use and hear audio from more than one application (like GR + web browser, etc.) at the same time.
    In regards to differences in latency, this is something you'll simply have to test out with YOUR system.

But also check out some audio optimization tips in general:
    https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. slyspree

slyspree New Member

Thanks alot! I appreciate your help. I'll try it out surely :)

6. MistaEvil

MistaEvil New Member

Hi slyspree,

i have exactly the same problem. Did you solve it already? What worked out for you?

Really looking for help on this one

7. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Can you please post some details about your current setup, like:

- Which operating system?
    - Are you using Guitar Rig Standalone on its own. Or as plugin inside a DAW (in this case which one)?
    - Are you using the onboard soundcard of the computer/laptop?
    - Or are you using a different audio interface (and what's the model name)?
    - Where are the speakers/headphones used for listening connected to?
    - and so on ...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  8. MistaEvil

MistaEvil New Member

Hi,

thanks for aanswering so quick.
    I´m using guitar rig as stand alone and i´m using my onboard soundcard of my laptop. It´s a HP Spectre aprox. 1 year old.
    i´m not using a different audio interface. For audio output i use the Sennheiser Headphones connected to my laptop.
    guitar rig works perfect with all the audio settings i did.
    the problem is the audio of the browser. (firefox)
    well, i already learned meanwhile its normal system behaviour of ASIO to hear just one source of audio at one time.

at the moment i try to get the problem fixed with JACK. But for me as absolute beginner on audio stuff its quite frustrating to get it running correctly.

best regards.

9. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Yeah, setting up JACK can be a little bit cumbersome. Using VoiceMeeter is probably an easier solution: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

But using WASAPI (shared mode) as Audio Driver in Guitar Rig should also work. In this case, go into Windows Sounds Settings first and make sure to uncheck the 'Take Exclusive Control' option for all Playback/Recording devices - as shown in the example in this article: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...e-Exclusive-Mode-in-Windows-Sound-Preferences

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  10. MistaEvil

MistaEvil New Member

Hi,

when i change to WASAPI i can hear firefox sound, but on gutiar rig i have no choices on the audio output or input. With inserted headphones the only output soure i can choose in guitar rig audio settings is speaker left or speaker right. see the screenshots for help please.

upload_2017-10-16_14-31-25.png

upload_2017-10-16_14-32-58.png
    upload_2017-10-16_14-34-30.png

thank you for your help

11. solger

solger NI Product Owner

What happens if you simply choose 'Lautsprecher L' and 'Lautsprecher R' as outputs?

I'm guessing the 'Lautsprecher' outputs in your screenshot are representing both the speakers and the headphone output (as it's usually the case with onboard soundcards in laptops). And that the onboard soundcard switches automatically between speakers and headphones (depending on whether headphones are plugged in or not) ...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  12. MistaEvil

MistaEvil New Member

Got the headphone option after restart. On the audio device I have the choice between Conextant ISST Audio or iRig HD2. When I choose the iRig option I got on the input menu only one choice which is microphone. On the output it's only Lautsprecher.

13. solger

solger NI Product Owner

So is it working now?

If not: where are the headphones connected to exactly?

If the headphones are connected to the IRig, choose the IRig as Audio Device in Guitar Rig.
    If the headhones are connected to the onboad laptop soundcard, use Conextant ISST ...

And as mentioned in my previous post: the headphone outputs might probably just use the same naming 'Lautsprecher', as well ...

14. MistaEvil

MistaEvil New Member

It's not working. On the Conextant device I got the right output, but no input because there is no iRig option.
    When I choose iRig as device there is no adequate input or output option.

I got my headphones connected to the laptop

15. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Ah, OK . I didn't know before that you are trying to use both (laptop soundcard + IRig) at the same time.

Sadly, combining inputs/outputs from different devices (laptop soundcard + IRig) in Guitar Rig is not possible with WASAPI.

So, if possible, either try to connect the headphones directly to the headphone output of the IRig (so you're using the IRig as only device).
    Or try to get one of the other possible solutions (like VoiceMeeter or JACK) working ...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  16. MistaEvil

MistaEvil New Member

Ok. I will try. Thanks for help.