1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Can't Install Razor on PC

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Kruddler, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Kruddler

Kruddler Forum Member

This in unbelievable. I bought a whole new PC just to run Razor because it is so CPU intensive and was grinding my mac to a halt. I got my PC set up and installed the Komplete package. Then I updated Reaktor. I downloaded the Razor installer. When I run the installer, I can get to the step where I can see the feature. But, the feature has a big red cross next to it with no drop down list. Why? It doesn't tell me anything about why I can't install.

BTW: I uninstalled my virus scanner and run the installer as admin on my Windows 7 machine upon the advice of NI's American support team.

Can anyone please help me? This is a ridiculous situation. I literally started building this PC on Friday so that I could use Razor over the weekend to write some new stuff. NI's tech support has basically given up.

To give you some more info, I used a tool to extract the guts of the installer. I got the Razor player out of the installer and I CAN ACTUALLY USE THE PLAYER. But, I can't activate the product so none of my presets etc. stick and I keep getting demo mode.

HELP! Tech support couldn't help me.

2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

In the Common Files path to Service Center

(For me it is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center; for you it will be different if you are running Win7 64 bit)

do you see a Razor xml file?

It will probably be named "Razor 1.xml"

Can you list the contents?

3. Kruddler

Kruddler Forum Member

Yes!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <ProductHints>
    <Product>
    <Name>Razor</Name>
    <Type>Content</Type>
    <Company>Native Instruments GmbH</Company>
    <AuthSystem>RAS2</AuthSystem>
    <SNPID>212</SNPID>
    <RegKey>Razor</RegKey>
    <Icon>koresound</Icon>
    </Product>
    </ProductHints>
    ---
    Jim!

Woot woot woot!

Got it activated!

All I did was delete that file, uninstall, and then reinstall with XP compatibility mode on the installer.

Thanks again so much!

4. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

What CPU/MB did you end up getting?

5. Kruddler

Kruddler Forum Member

I ended up getting the i5 2500. It wasn't worth spending an extra $100 on an i7 because the clock speed is only a little higher and there are only 4 extra "hyper" threads; not cores. It may make a little difference but not $100 of difference. I will post details in the other thread.