CAPTAIN CHORDS within Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Supercreative, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Hey Maschines,

Is someone using CAPTAINs VSTs within Maschine?
    https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/captain-chords/

For 79$ it’s an interesting VST.
    Are there some limitations? Not sure if the VSTs are full capable with Maschine SW.
    Somewhere, I‘ve read a statement that the VSTs are fully operable in Logic and Ableton. Finally, there could be some limitations in other hosts.

Initially, it looks good...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

If it outputs MIDI like arpeggiator plugins then it will not work in Maschine.

3. Supercreative

Related to the posted video, it should work- at least with a specific set of functions. ;-)

4. AndriusDK

AndriusDK NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  5. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

Yay, another of this musical equivalents to painting by numbers (Scaler, Autotheory, InstaScale, InstaChord etc.). I admit, without any formal musical training writing music can be quite hard and people have to start somewhere, but with some of these presentations it's quite hard to stay polite.

If it's about the price/value for money, I'd rather recommend this one from a very dedicated developer

https://feelyoursound.com/sundog/

or to add another 20 bucks to these $79 to buy Cubase Elements, which also includes amazing scales, chords & voicing options and, from what I hear :D, a pretty decent DAW on top of that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Supercreative

I assume you don’t use CAPTAIN plugins! :D
    I‘m just looking for a new little toy...
    I like the fly by connection of these plugins. Could be fun.

7. Supercreative

Uui... Sundog has been updated. Hauke worked very well :).

8. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

But really though, HOW HARD would it be to implement a re sizable piano roll into Maschine with chord and scale highlights on the piano roll without this? I just don't understand why Maschine neglects to improve on the foundation of the UI they have built instead of adding superfluous stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  9. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Check this vid when you get a chance-

10. Prieye Krijgsman

Prieye Krijgsman New Member

Hello everyone,

The drap and drop function in Captain Plugins not working with Maschine 2 software.

Anyone with the same problem?

11. Mumz

Mumz New Member

Yup

cannot drag and drop as vst and when I try as au it cuts off the bottom of the window so I can’t even see where the midi is

12. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Surely it depends on how you use them ..at the end of the day they aren't going to produce something resonant without your intervention
    Bit disturbing they add 25% VAT for UK when the UK rate is actually 20%.

13. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I think there's this miss conception that music theory aids are only for those with no music theory knowledge, maybe due to the way these tools are marketed... I look at these tools as a way to quickly experiment without spending hours on the keyboard or when you simply dont have one around.
    Not all of us want to be keyboard players, personally I learned a lot about theory with this sort of plugins.
    Like for example an ARP feature, I know how to play arpeggiated chords but I might not want to physically sit down on the keys and practice for an hour just so I can physically arp a bunch of 9th chords by hand, I just want to lay it down on the piano roll, see if it sounds good and move on. Given that a gigantic amount of electronic music is based on arp/chord triggering / latch and messing with knobs at the same time theres a lot we hear that is impossible to traditionally perform.

Same for a step sequencer, just cause one uses it doesn't mean one can't actually play/record drums by hand with pads or keys, it's just a different way to input MIDI and mess around. Same for DJ software with Sync, the list goes on and on...

I often wonder about this too, a bunch of vendors use this round-it-up to the highest value possible approach which is 25%, I dont get it...In Switzerland VAT is super low for example, only 8%. Out of curiosity, I checked my invoice from NI the last time I bought hardware directly from them and it was only 15% but vat is higher both where I live and in Germany...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Mumz

Mumz New Member

Any ideas??

15. D-One

Are you dropping the MIDI while the Pad is in Keyboard Mode?
    If you're on Mac do not use an AU version, use VST.

Drag the MIDI from CC to the desktop, check if that works.
    Check if it works on another DAW.
    Check if dropping MIDI files to Maschine works.
    Test those 3 and you will know who the culprit is (maschine or cc) and go from there.

16. Mumz

Mumz New Member

don’t have another daw on this computer
    Tried dropping into piano roll in maschine like it’s supposed to be, no go.
    It worked dropping to desktop then to maschine piano roll
    What does that mean?
    Ps thanks for the workaround!

17. Prieye Krijgsman

Prieye Krijgsman New Member

It works fine with Ableton. Dropping in keyboard mode in Maschine doesn't work for me as well.

I have the same problem with the Au version of Captain Plugins. Small window so seeing the drap drop option is not possible.

I suspect it's a Native issue if its works for other DAW's.

The work around suggested (dropping on desktop and then in Maschine ) might be the fastest way to use Captain Plugins, but paying almost 100 euro's for a VST that doesn't work properly is frustrating. I hope Native finds a way get it to work properly otherwise I'm forced to delete Captain Plugins, get them to refund my money and look for something else.

Scaler works fine. No problems there.

I don't want to compare Maschine to other DAW's but I have to. The software is limited. It looks like they don't want to spend time adding extra options (like ghost notes, randomizing velocity, panning found in fl studio). Native spends so much time making new hardware they neglect the software.

Still a fan though...been using it for years now...Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences...it helps me lot knowing I'm not the only one having these issues.

18. D-One

Well, Maschine is not on the officially supported DAW's list...
    https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/captain-chords/#compatibility
    Actually Maschine is on the "Not officially supported, but appears stable." list, I think that's mostly just because Maschine has no MIDI out from plugin support.

If Scaler works fine then it could be CC's fault... I am inclined to say something about the method of exporting MIDI in Captain Chords is very specific and incompatible, try contacting them. I remember there was a version of Scaler that also had a MIDI drag-and-drop issue, then an update fixed it.

We all compare at one point or another, it's only natural.
    I would love to have ghost notes, many people would but we already have Velocity Randomization and Panning... The former is in the Variation Menu and the latter can be done in numerous ways including step modulation.