Cascading USB

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by vibot, Jun 13, 2013.

1. vibot

vibot NI Product Owner

Hi

I'm just wondering, because there is the proposition to work with x1, f1 and the z1 on the NI-website. One open question from my side: Macbooks have only 2x USB ports, so why not making this nice little pieces of gear able to cascade over usb. Seen that the Z1 (and as it seems also the x1 mk1) has a power supply. I'm wondering, if there is a technical reason to not do this?

Thx

2. minim

minim NI Product Owner

It's most likely a cost factor when manufacturing. The more features you put into a product, the more you have to charge for it.

Also, take a look at the back of the Z1. It's already fairly packed out and offers very little room for additional connectors. I would assume that there is plenty of room on the PCBs for the circuitry but with the physical size of the case and available places to stick such connectors, it would be problematic.

The average user will most likely already be using some sort of USB hub for other devices so there is no real need for it.

3. vibot

vibot NI Product Owner

Yes, but an external hub is also a risk factor

4. minim

minim NI Product Owner

What risk factor would that be? I can see them getting unplugged accidentally or them getting damaged etc. But that would be true for a lot of things really.

5. vibot

vibot NI Product Owner

Sure, i agree. But I think, that there is a lower risk having included ports, because than you don't have so much phisical interfaces depending on one usb-hub. I think the included ports on the Z2 are a first step towards to the right direction.

6. minim

minim NI Product Owner

Agreed since with the Z2 there is plenty of room for the electronics and the physical space for such prots. There are times I wish Maschine had a USB hub inside it. Hell, there have been times I've thought about gutting a USB hub and a NI Session IO to install into Maschine.

7. vibot

vibot NI Product Owner

me too my friend, me too... ^^
    :cool: