1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

CDJs or vinyl as controller?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by mazstar, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazstar

mazstar NI Product Owner

I have decks and it tends to drift quite a lot which turntables do - are CDJs more accurate and lock beats better?

I'm thinking of purchasing CDJ400s.

2. RufusWhite

RufusWhite NI Product Owner

Maybe you just need to work on your beatmatching? ;)

3. Macaque

Macaque New Member

I use turntables and the beats never drift apart. Which turntables do you use? Cheap turntables don't work too well....

4. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

lol

5. DiscoNova

DiscoNova NI Product Owner

I personally have used CDJs for controlling, but I've recently started thinking that perhaps a good quality turntable might propably be a better option. The reason for this line of though is that when you stop the playback on CDJ, the application reportedly needs 20ms to find the position where the playback is. In theory, with turntable this wouldn't happen, because there is no "jumps" in the playback (ie. when I cue a position, it is there, and the application does not need to refind the position after I release the platter).

However, I have not tested yet if this holds water...

6. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

To the OP: If your Tech12's are drifting significantly enough that you can't hold a mix (I'm assuming your beatmatching skills are good) then you need to have your decks serviced. I hold 4-minute mixes in TSP with my Techs and once the tempos are in sync (I don't use the sync button btw) they don't drift, period.

7. dj mutley

dj mutley NI Product Owner

to me cdjs are more accurrate than the technics

8. RufusWhite

RufusWhite NI Product Owner

to me, a baguette is more accurate than a panini.

It's longer, too.

9. chilly

Not to be rude mut, but it sounds like you just need a little more time with turntables... :)

10. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Here we go !
    *hides under blanket quivering*

11. chilly

My farts smell horrible today btw. Eating a lot of raw vegetables does this I guess.

I feel sorry for the people at work.

Karlos, are you familiar with the concept of a 'Dutch Oven'? No? Let me join you under that blanket for a hot minute...

12. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Absolutely p*ssing myself with laughter that much that LOL does not do it justice.

Yes bro im aware of Dutch Oven . i can barely type im laughing so much.

I love it when stupid sayings have trans-atlantic appreciation.

"DUTCH OVEN" is the phrase of the day.

13. mazstar

mazstar NI Product Owner

i can lock beats no problem but i know my decks are harder to lock than my mates where it takes half the time to lock them in place and they stay there for ages.

im purchasing cdjs not bcoz of this but bcoz i intend to play out and since im digital easier to get to clubs without carting around tpro, laptop and it being unstable anyway.

i was asking out of interest more than anything however i remember when i had low specs and t3.3 they tended to drift consdierably more than with when i upgraded RAM - they now fluctuate around +/-.2 which is more than i thought technics would

14. garysulter

garysulter NI Product Owner

I use both (depending on mood and if I want to show off) I find CDJ or DVJ's a slightly better option as they seem to get serviced and repaired more oftenn then the 1210's in most of the clubs I work in lol.... And as for the Veg... I've been on the sprouts so stand back... :)

15. DiscoNova

DiscoNova NI Product Owner

Well, there's a reason... 1210's don't need to be serviced as they are nearly impossible to break :cool:

16. def1

def1 New Member

You've answered your own question. If you are having no trouble on other decks then your decks need a service (or you have crappy decks)

Stick with well serviced 1200's and you shouldn't have a problem.

That being said, i have used 1200's for 15 years and have rarely had a problem on any of these decks at various places.

They must really be abused to be slipping.

17. dj mutley

dj mutley NI Product Owner

i started using technics since the 90s and
    althoe i havent tried any of the newer models lately
    i gave em up when pioneer came out w/cdj model

18. chilly

I don't blame you...I've been using cdjs since the 700s. I never got rid of my 1200s, and I know that they keep time just as well as cdjs do :)

19. Ryan0751

Ryan0751 NI Product Owner

1200's hold time very well because of the quartz lock, but getting the PRECISION using the 1200's pitch slider is more difficult then with a CDJ. Plus on the CDJ, you can see exactly the small changes you make when adjusting the pitch on the display.

And with CDJ's, once they are locked, you can just hit play to throw in the track, adjust the platter a touch to line it back up, and you're good to go. With 1200's, you release on your cue, and then have to fiddle a bit more to get back to where you were, either with the spindle/platter, or by riding the pitch.

In +/- 6% on a CDJ-1000 (.02 increments), it's easy to nudge the pitch by a very small amount. Harder to do with a 1200.

I think that's why a lot of people say that CDJ's are easier, because they are! But 1200's sure are fun :) Just learn to ride the pitch a little (a few millimeters at a time) and you are good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.