1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Change Notes on the Step Sequencer?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by laserbeak, Oct 19, 2018.

1. laserbeak

laserbeak NI Product Owner

Hello,
    • I load FL Studio as a VSTi into Maschine
    • I have a drumkit loaded into FL Studio (FPC)
    • I start the step sequencer in Maschine
    • I enter notes but they're always C3
    Is there any way to change what the root note or note you want to use without twisting the knob on every note recorded? Or is step mode just not going to grow in that way?

I'd also like to know how to change channels with the controller without having to go into controller editor (like a Midi Keyboard should do).

Thanks

2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Is it that you're wanting to step sequence (from Maschine) different drum sounds (in FL Studio) that respond to different MIDI notes? If so, you could set up a Group (or more than one) to have different Sounds trigger the different... sounds i.e., Sound 1 = C3 (e.g., kick), Sound 2 = C#3 (e.g., snare) etc. Then you just hold SELECT and tap the next Sound to step sequence the next... sound.

(NI's choice of terminology is awful sometimes.)

3. laserbeak

In this particular scenario, yes. But I'd like to be able to choose what notes i'm entering into the step sequencer at any time.
    so you're saying use an entire group for one sound? That's... different. I guess it'd work though.
    I don't feel like I should have to make 16 instances of FL Studio just to get 16 pads in 16 different Maschine groups though.... Am I understanding you correctly?

Also, I've read the manual and this hold SELECT and click a sound doesn't work for me. Since all I have is FL Studio as a VST in Sound 1. Can I map 2-16 to sound 1 somehow as different notes?

4. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Only one instance is necessary.

Yes, exactly. In Pad Mode, set up the 16 Sounds to have the MIDI notes you want to be able to choose from (e.g., Sound 1 = C3, Sound 2 = C#3, whatever) and then select all Sounds except for the FL Studio Sound and route the MIDI output to the FL Studio Sound and change the MIDI channel too (so all Sounds will transmit on the same channel). You should then be able to switch between (Maschine) Sounds that trigger different (FL Studio) sounds.

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Isn't the transpose knob made for this kind of task?

Uwe

6. laserbeak

My problem with that is that it makes step sequencing way too traditional and sucky. More for experimentation. I don't understand why you can't just choose the note you want to input with something like a keyboard. Fast. Simple. :(

7. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I'm not getting the whole picture, but you can choose the note for the step sequence mode for the Maschine HW. Is that it or am I missing the point?

If not, you can set the "base key" in the step sequencer mode with knob 1. This is basically setting the root key for the respective pad, which might be prefered over using midi transpose, since you're getting the exact root note and it saves you from counting all the time.

You can't use that method while you're step sequencing on one pad, though, as you're not able to keep the previous notes. So you have to use several pads, for which you'd have to set the root key for each pad individually.