Changing LED pad brightness?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by mykejb, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

At least they're asking us for more info which means this issue is on their radar. I think at this point an official "this is how we can fix it" from NI support would be much appreciated by many Jam owners.

My idea of letting us choose a "default selected pattern color" in SONG mode would be similar to what we already have over in KEYBOARD mode with the octave buttons. In KEYBOARD mode all of the octaves are white and every other note is the color selected for that group. This option for SONG mode would completely fix this contrast problem. NI PLEASE let us select a DEFAULT SELECTED PATTERN COLOR for patterns in SONG mode, even just WHITE for the selected pattern would be different than the 16 select-able colors offered and would avoid any conflict or confusion. I would think that adding this option of a WHITE selected pattern button in SONG mode would be super easy to implement. Who else is with me on this request?

PLEASE NI PLEASE!!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. basehead617

basehead617 Member

Airspeed - That is a great idea that would be a workaround for this.

I mean I consider my eye sight pretty good, and while it's not IMPOSSIBLE to tell the selected from not selected, I'd never want to have to pay that close attention when performing something - it should be clear as day. I think they'd actually have to crank down the 'partially lit' level a LOT before it would satisfy me. Same on the Studio actually, even though that's nowhere near as big a problem.

3. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

Got a reply back that my issue had been passed on to the developers. Fingers crossed that they actually take this seriously. Hopefully they take a look at my "white selected button" solution to the LED contrast problems.

4. basehead617

basehead617 Member

They said the same to me.

5. Jaspersplace

Jaspersplace NI Product Owner

I also contacted support on this. I really hope they can fix this.

6. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

2:20 into this video really proves the point that the LED's on ALL jam units have the same problem (you can barely tell what patterns are being selected). We really need an official statement from NI.

7. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

This is just one Jam unit. How does it prove the point that "ALL" Jams have this issue? Funny kind of proof...

But completely agreed here.

Whether or not it is an issue with all Jams or not, something needs to be done for those who have an issue with it (it might just be that I don't and it works fine in all the environments I work in).

8. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

Mr36, I just looked at five different Jam demo videos online and every unit showed the same narrow dim/bright LED value issue for selecting patterns. My unit as well as others on this forum that have expressed the same observations with their units. And just for the hell of it I went to the local GC recently and had them demo a unit with a devID/serial# newer than my unit and it showed the same LED issue. So my point is that this does NOT appear to be an isolated small batch of factory related component issues but a consistent issue among many Jam's. Plus NI has told us in this forum last year that they are aware of this issue. If you are happy with your Jam then great for you. But my observations are that the Jam has a problem and because of the statement from NI last year that they were aware of this issue and that a fix would be implemented I kept my Jam past the retail return period and now 6 months later still no fix or official statement from NI. Very frustrating. Just sayin....

What do you think of my solution (above) of just giving us a menu option to make the selected patterns white? Check a box to make the selected patterns white and if you want to keep everything the way it is currently you leave it unchecked at default. Since white isn't one of the 16 select-able colors this option would allow us to tell what pattern is selected no matter what the lighting situation is for your Jam (dark room or bright sunshine). Problem solved....

• Like Like x 1
  9. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

It might not be all Jam units..or it may be all Jam units. What we can say for sure though is that a lot of units are effected.
    The silence from NI is hardly helping it's reputation.

10. arche3

arche3 NI Product Owner

My jam has the barely lit up when selected issue. Bought it pre-order so I got the 1st batch. I can kinda see what is lit brighter if I look really close.
    But I don't use the jam to select patterns anyways. I use the studio as i arrange.
    But it would be nice to be able to use the jam to do this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. basehead617

basehead617 Member

Finally got a response from support here. They said they've gotten some jam units sent back for service and found nothing wrong with them, but said I could send mine in to check as well (I'm not going to bother). They framed it as that it would be impossible to make the LEDs brighter due to the power requirements. I said that the issue was the opposite, that it's just that the dimmed mode needs to be dimmer. I also mentioned the 'change to dim color to white' idea that was brought up here.

They non-committally said the engineers were looking at adding either options for dimming level or changing color, but that could've been nonsense of course.

12. CakeAlexS

What I am reading here, and the lack of an official statement from NI basically means I will never buy a Jam and will not recommend anybody else to do so. This stoops to new lows.

13. basehead617

basehead617 Member

I feel like that's different than what we've been discussing.. I have no issues with 'barely lit up'.. they're plenty bright. The issue is the minimal difference in lighting between selected and unselected. Sounds like yours may actually be a different problem.

14. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

I got the same e-mail saying it was a "desire" from a few users to have the LED's adjusted and that they would possibly implement my selected button "WHITE" color idea sometime (maybe) in the future. I don't know why they would think this is a hardware issue for a select few Jam's when every OFFICIAL NI video demo and other demos on youtube shows this issue. Its a WIDESPREAD PROBLEM!

Here's another clear example of the problem from a Guitar Center "product spotlight" youtube demo (go to 1:00 into the video and tell me that the selected patterns are clearly identifiable... you can't because they are NOT. And 10:00 into the video as well):

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  15. basehead617

basehead617 Member

Totally agreed. You have to wonder how this got past usability testing..

I have a particularly hard time differentiating selected/unselected with the orange color. It's not as hard with some others. I wonder if individual people's vision differences come into play somehow too.. also, angle of the Jam to your view.

16. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Glad I went with push2 instead. I was on the jam/push2 fence for awhile. Nothing against NI, as I do think the Jam seems like a decent product, I just think they rushed it out to market sooner than they could have. They should've taken advice from Akai.

17. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

Still waiting for an official fix for this issue. But just to push the point across one more time, this image is from the OFFICIAL Maschine twitter posted on April 10th. Please tell me what scene, group and patterns are selected in this image (i can kind of make out row 6 pattern 5 but nothing else). This is exactly what my Jam looks like (some colors are slightly better than others but nothing is quickly identifiable especially in a bright room or outdoors). PLEASE DIM the DIM LED setting PLEASE. Bright is perfect just make the DIM setting dimmer.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9EepGRWAAE7BKP.jpg:large

• Like Like x 1
  18. CakeAlexS

To be devils advocate here (I know there is an actual problem), maybe just Row 6 pattern 5 is just selected in this picture? I don't have a Jam I'm probably easily missing something here.

19. Airspeed

Airspeed New Member

Even if that would be the case (the selected scene only has group F patterns in it, nothing else) please tell me that you can easily tell that group F is the selected group out of the A-H group buttons. I can't easily tell the difference... at all.

20. terrybritton

terrybritton Active Member

At 2:29 it is clearly obvious which are selected.

I have no problem at all seeing the difference between selected and un-selected. I must be an alien life form. Or...

There is a visual color blindness called protanomaly (the opposite of the much rarer tritanomaly) that affects a huge number of males that may be at play here. (Protonamaly would cause warmer colors to be difficult to tell brightness differences, while tritanomaly would affect cooler colors.) Are all colors equally difficult to distinguish for those having issues, or only certain colors?

Xils-Labs instituted an option to turn the keyboard and other elements in their VCS3 emulations from the original red to options of yellow or blue when they heard of this being so prevalent. They were responding to this post at KVR, much to their credit. The issue is that colors of the same color but of differing brightness are difficult to differentiate, as illustrated in that post.

Since the user CAN change the colors of their groups, this could be a user-manageable method to alleviate the problem if protanomaly or tritanomaly is the cause.

Terry

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017