Charging iPad Pro (USB-C) while using Z1

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by icordoba, Jun 16, 2019.

1. icordoba

icordoba New Member

Hi,
    I've searched posts about this here but I haven't found any working solution to use the Z1 with an iPad Pro while charging it. As you know, the voltage from the Z1 USB port is not high enough to charge the iPad. I have tried using a powered USB-C hub and a standard USB cable to the Z1 but Traktor DJ2 crashes. Does not seem to recognize the hardware if not directly connected to the iPad.
    Any working solution? Yesterday I had my first gig with the Z1 and I drained the battery of my IPad... I had to stop mixing!

Thanks!
    Ignacio

2. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Do you speak about TDJ1 or TDJ2 ? TDJ2 is here: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/forums/traktor-dj-2.411/ (btw: TDJ2 seems to need much more performance from ipad since TDJ1, lot of user complan about battery issue, I may remeber there are older TDJ2+Z1 posts, some charging issues. So maybe check the TDJ2 forum.

My iPadAir2 get charged on Z1 (NI standard cable, no usbc, no hub), TDJ1 never crashed with it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. icordoba

icordoba New Member

My question is more related on how to connect an iPad Pro to a Z1 and have it charge. Maybe I used the wrong forum (it is not really related to DJ1 or DJ2 but it's tru DJ2 hanged after I did some tests on USB hubs)

4. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  5. Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan New Member

Any luck figuring out a way to charge the iPad Pro while using the Z1 and TDJ? This is really hindering my experience with NI and I feel like I'll never be able to use my new iPad Pro with TDJ in a setting outside of my bedroom. Extremely disappointed!

6. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Which TDJ version running, TDJ1 or 2 ? .. did you test both TDJ? (Asking because lot user have this problem with TDJ2 only, high cpu utilization)

2nd question, maybe you can test for the other iPad pro user: what happens if you connect Z1 and swipe out all running apps from background (no TDJ at all, also switch off wifi, Bluetooth etc.) Does the Z1 with NI cable still not charge the iPad pro?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  7. Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan New Member

I'm using the iPad Pro 11" with TDJ2 and I'm unable to charge the iPad Pro using the Z1 no matter what i do. I've tried a few different cables now including the NI charger and I've tried closing all apps, and utilities with still zero luck.

The weirdest thing is that I'm able to power the Z1 with just the iPad Pro and no power to the wall. I wasn't able to do this on my old 4th gen iPad. I guess this'll be great for camping but doesn't make up for the fact that I expect the Z1 to charge my iPad Pro when the Z1 is plugged into the wall.

To me it seems like NI is selling a crappy product in the Z1 which isn't compatible with the iPad Pro.

NI needs to address this immediately as people are purchasing the Z1 with no warning about the incompatibles with the iPad Pros and the Z1.