1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Classic Vocoder as AU plug in Maschine MK3

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Andy Cordy, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

Please forgive my ignorance. I am struggling to assimilate Reaktor plug ins in Maschine. I am not using a DAW.
    Using Reaktor ens instances as sound generators has been fine so far but trying to use the Vocoder, listed as an effects plug in, I can get audio in but nothing out.
    Using Vocoder in the sound channel of a sampled vocal. Nothing.
    Using Vocoder as a send effect still nothing.
    I understand it requires midi note information.
    I have searched on line for any tutorial on this.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have been stuck for hours.

2. Michael O'Hagan

Michael O'Hagan NI Product Owner

I haven't used Maschine in a while but I don't remember there being anyway to route midi into an audio effect, so a vocoder probably won't work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

Thank you for responding.

I have seen questions similar to mine relating to the use of this plug in inside a DAW, so I have persisted.
    The Classic vocoder shows both audio and midi in out and thru in the channel pane for the sound slot or when nested, as here, in fx plug-in slot under my sample sound.
    I understood that effects such as delay can sync to midi time sode and of course macros can be set for them so the must be able to receive midi.
    I just wish someone had done a manual or demo for the .ens perhaps if someone knows how to use it as a stand alone outside Maschine?

4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

5. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

Thank you for responding, Paule. I understand what vocoder is. "Classic vocoder" came with the purchase of Reaktor 6 package from NI and is loaded into Maschine as a plug in the same way as the other factory plug -ins. As it is in the set, I would like it to work as AU plug in as this is expected.

Attached Files:

6. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Here is a manual: page 58 classic vocoder

Attached Files:

7. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

Thank you for your response.
    I already have this manual, I understand the principles and I own a Waldorf STVC.
    I wanted to make Classic Vocoder work inside Maschine workflow.
    I can get audio in but nothing at output.
    The same in Reaktor stand alone.
    I know that it requires midi note information, the 2vco synth provide the 'carrier and the input audio provides the modulation like any vocoder.
    I thought it would be simple to use but I just cannot get sound out.

8. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Try to use a daw or virtual cables for midi data?
    loopMIDI?

9. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

Thank you again, Paule.

I have never edited a Reaktor instrument. I understand the basics of midi. I do not use a DAW although I have Cubase 8 on an old computer.

I hoped that my difficulty would have a simple solution as everything else Reaktor can be 'plug and play' in Maschine for people who just want to make music. This is a NI factory plug-in after all.

Keeping everything in Maschine, which is a very compact workspace, one 'save' command stores everything, so it is very advantageous to me to keep it so.

Have you used any of the Vocoders available in the list you sent to me?

10. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

Hi Paule. I found your name in discussion with the author od Tantra Vocoder, Bakkan. It has many downloads and a very high rating. I downloaded it, put it into the same folder as Reaktor effects, opened it as a plug in in a send effect channel in Maschine, it worked immediately!
    I was so excited that I have not even touched the controls to modify the sound.
    Many thanks for the list and for your patience.
    I am way too old to be playing with synthesisers I don't fully understand, having started in the early 80's with Atari 1040 ST and Steinberg pro24 which evolved into Cubase.
    Warmest regards
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

You are one year younger than me. Myself start at MSX Yamaha CX5M then Atari 1024 up to TT during 13 years.

12. Andy Cordy

Andy Cordy New Member

You are obviously way more able.

The honeymoon is over with Tantra Vocoder. It is very complex and I cannot pretend to have any control. I quickly lost the effect I had been looking for but it came with a lot of random, high frequency clicks. Also some weird things occurred: the tempo of Maschine began to vary as if Reaktor were sending it control instead of receiving tempo from Maschine also the CPU usage was huge and my computer's cooling fan was working very hard.

I will use my Waldorf for Vocoder effects and record them into Maschine, slice the samples and re sequence or treat them with effects that way. The Waldorf only needs to come out, play and then go back to bed. ; )

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner