1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

closest way to get maschine to perform as a master hardware midi controller?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by paul680, Sep 19, 2020.

1. paul680

paul680 New Member

I was thinking about ways to get the most out of my maschine hardware and wondering if there was a way to use it as some sort of master midi controller for other gear? kind of similar to the beatstep? I don't have a beatstep but my idea was something similar in that it would be a master control for external gear somehow? like a central part of a setup? I realise that there are templates to control specific hardware with the maschine but any way to control more than one synth? I should mention I have mk1 controller and maschine 2.0.

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

The Controller Editor software allows you to customize the Maschine to do anything you want and then use it in Midi Mode...assign CCs to buttons and Knobs, set Pads to play notes etc.... It should have been installed with the Maschine software.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. paul680

paul680 New Member

is there any type of tutorials or guides around for how to get the maschine hardware to control external synths, but as a central part of a setup, like controlling more than one synth? or how to go about programming the maschine to do something like this?

4. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

5. paul680

paul680 New Member

Hi
    sorry maybe I didn't explain this very well. I have a few desktop synths which don't have keyboards attached to them. I would like to jam with these and use a maschine mk1 to control them, I would like to switch from one synth to another synth when playing live. essentially using maschine as a master controller which can control more than one synth at a time. not just doing edits on one synth one by one in a studio environment.

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

You can in maschine software create several groups per synth or just use the pads in one group and per pad you then use those templates or make your own - then you can control up to 16 devices per port per chain them with midi through or use a midi trough box. Another way is what Blindeddie said, make your own control template, there you could also work with midi channels but it woukd be a bit more complicated.

Uwe

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

Maschine & Blokas midi hub is a killer combo for external hardware.
    One basic example would be sending midi from maschine on midi channel 1 over usb to the midi hub, in the midi hub you can send this midi data to 4 midi 5 pin outputs, In the midi hub you can add a chance effect (one of many effects) To each output and add macros on maschine to control each of the different chance % outputs.
    Using maschine locks to set the macros you could have a lock with midi only going to 1 device, another lock would sends midi to 2 devices, another lock could be 25% to midi output 1, 37% to midi output 2, 42% to midi output 3. Etc etc etc.

It does take a bit of setting up, but once set up the workflow for routing things differently and using the effects is nice a quick.