1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Collection cannot be read error

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by garysulter, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garysulter

garysulter NI Product Owner

Hi
    I'm having a major problem with traktor scratch pro messing up my collection.. I can import everything no problem.. it analizes and reads the tags ok now.. the problem is that when I shut down pro and start it up again I am getting the error 'your collection is invalid and could not be read.It has been renamed and a new collection has been created' after clicking ok the program starts and have no collection at all so I have to reimport everything :S

Anyone else had this problem? And anyone know how to fix it?

2. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

Hi,

Yeah....im getting this same error. Im importing my traktor3 collection. It works fine but if I close traktor down and reopen it i get the error mentioned above 'your collection is invalid and could not be read.It has been renamed and a new collection has been created'...Not sure how to fix...any ideas?
    --Peace

3. rontronik

rontronik NI Product Owner

Collection "Cannot Be Read" Error TOO

I too am having the same problem. I spoke with a tech-support person at NI, and he had me un-install and re-install Traktor Pro. That did not work. It looks like this a major bug. Awaiting more info from NI Tech Support...
    ---
    After a couple of tests, the following seemed to work:
    -- find your T3 version of "collection.nml"
    -- copy/duplicate that "collection.nml" into the Tpro "collection.nml" location folder. (MAKE SURE YOU DUPLICATE THE T3 COLLECTION.NML as this will be updated to Tpro .nml format and will no longer be compatible with T3)... the "collection.nml" you created should replace the current T Pro collection.nml.
    -- open Tpro (you should see an alert that says "THE FORMAT OF YOUR COLLECTION IS OUTDATED. A BACKUP HAS BEEN MADE AND THE COLLECTION HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO THE CURRENT VERSION).

when i checked the tracks, i had the same amount as the the T3 collection .. nothing lost (EXCEPT a few stripes - which i updated in TPro). I then "saved collection." then "quit" Tpro and re-opened -- COLLECTION INTACT ---> fingers crossed that it stays that way. Hopefully this helps all with this problem/error.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

Rontronik,

This works for me UNTIL i go into the Prefences and start changing stuff. I change the prefences to whatever I like....close traktor and i get the error again.

5. rontronik

Colection Loading error -Possible answer to problem - NO-GO

thanks for the info - you are correct ! just tried that --- ERROR CONTINUES! -- this is most definitely a major "bug" in Traktor Pro...

6. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

I think it has something to do with the stripes and other **** in the folder. For example My Traktor3 collection is in C:\Mp3s\2008....so the collection.nml is in there along witht the stripes and info.

Everything in Traktor Pro is going to default, but I import the collection.nml from C:\Mp3s\2008 (T3 collection directory).

I read that T3 and Pro cannot share the same collection but i thought that meant the .nml file? Do we need to copy the mp3s over to a seperate directory?

7. rontronik

not sure abot your question... but, i just read that ID3 tags are an issue between T3 and Tpro -- more on this in a bit.

8. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

I dunno but I sent in a ticket to the tech support.

9. garysulter

I'm glad I'm not alone on this... I've also been onto support and emailed them an extra file that appeared after the failed import (collection_backup_invalid.nml) as they requested, def a serious problem as I know of 3 other jocks who are refusing to use pro and sticking to Traktor 3 until its fixed... Such a shame though cause I wanna play NOW lol

10. sla200x

sla200x Forum Member

Guys,
    I am encountering the same issues too. I imported my music folder from scratch . Everything imported and analyzed fine. When I shut down the Tracktor and reopen it, I got the same error as mentioned above. I tried doing this three times with the same bad results. This fact that many of us are having the same exact problem make this appears to be problem with the software. I have parked Pro until NI can help us get this resolved. What a shame I was really loving the upgrade

Tracktor Scratch
    Numark Total Control
    Evolution uC33 Controller

Intel Core2 Duo 2.41
    4GB Ram
    Windows XP Professional
    500GD Harddirve

11. garysulter

Has anyone heard anything back from the NI tech support about this yet? Its been 3 days with no email back yet :( I really want to be able to start using this software now....

12. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

I dunno....im going back to T3 lol....should have waited for the demo or something

13. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

Bah! I've been having this problem too. I was looking forward to playing with TS PRO after a bunch of installation problems and now this :( I think I'm stick TS PRO on ice until the next update. Roll on SP1...

14. dj-bjuk

dj-bjuk NI Product Owner

I had the same problem and sent a ticket and my invalid collection to the ni tech support but no answer till now...

15. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

Ok, heard back from support today and they've solved the problem (for me at least!).

The original error appears to have occurred because I copied my old collection.nml file into the TS Pro directory (as other people have done successfully). Although this seemed to work in the first instance, subsequent attempts to open the collection failed (invalid collection, blah, blah).

So I went back to T3, selected the whole collection and did a 'write tags'. Following this I replaced the collection.nml file the in the Pro directory with the original one it was installed with.

I loaded TS Pro, and right clicked on the 'collection' icon in the browser and selected 'import collection'. I pointed to the T3 collection file and a few minutes of processing later, its all up and running.

Most importantly, I get no errors now after i subsequently close and restart TS Pro!

Many thanks to Stefan at NI for the solution. :)

16. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

WHOAH I can't believe no mods got involved in this one. Good on ya DJ_AS for posting the solution.

17. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

@ DJ AS

Thanks for posting the solution from support. I think there were a few assumptions made that lead to this problem.

When I imported my TS1 collection into Pro, I did exactly that. Even Telly had posted this process in another post.

However I think there might be a second problem as well. One of the users did send me their collection file but I'm going to verify if this process was followed.

18. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

When you did "write tags" did it have to analyze all your files again? and how long did it take to do that on your collection?

Thanks

19. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

The 'write tags' I ran overnight. Takes around 1 - 1.5 secs per track I reckon (depending on your computer of course).

This does not analyse the tracks (I don't think), its simply puts the Traktor specific data (bpms, gain, stripes) into the MP3's own tag. I had set Traktor to save all the data to the MP3 inc. stripes (look in preferences).

The importation process into Pro took just a few minutes.

20. tmolina703

tmolina703 Forum Member

Thanks dude, this worked for me also =]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.