1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Collection cannot be read error

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by garysulter, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sla200x

sla200x Forum Member

Interesting Marius,

I have a PC not a Mac but you could be on to something there. I was finally able to resolve my issue last night. After importing my music(20,000 tracks), I delete about half of the collection then closed reopen/TPro and did not have the issue. I call that the good half. Then re-imported all my songs and this time deleted the good half. I them repeated this process of elimination until only one track was left in the collection. That one track alone was what was causing my collections errors. Even by itself it brought TPro to its knees. I moved it from my music folder and deleted it from collection then re-imported my music folder and now no issues. The this bad file did have a long file name. I will experiment when I get home tonight to see if it had any of what mentioned and change the filename. It should be note that this file works fine in my T3, Virtual DJ and Torq applications. Luckily for me this was the only one. As you mentioned, hopefully this level sensitivity gets fixed the next update. Not much comfort knowing that one bad filename cause this much havoc.

Thanks for the info.
    Sla200x

2. djfunkshui

djfunkshui New Member

Whats up everyone, I have Ben trying to figure this out ,but still NO FIX. has anyone found the fix for the COLLECTION CANNOT BE READ ERROR IN TRAKTOR PRO? if so please let me know. Native instruments need to fix ths fast or THEY WILL BE REFUNDING ALL OF US BACK OUR MONEY.I want to use mine for my shows but it just dont work.

3. ozzie69

ozzie69 NI Product Owner

I uninstalled (deleted) all folders and files related to T3 and T LE, installed Tpro and created a new collection from scratch, and all that was a waste of time. It didn't work. Keep getting the same error! I also deleted some songs with long names and /, with no luck. I want my $$ back :-(

4. DJGStefan

DJGStefan NI Product Owner

I have checked all files, and I dont have has or slash in any on my songs. And I still have this problem.

5. DJGStefan

Traktor can't read files-names that has 2 spaces beside each other, as well!

Does anyone know how I can find files-names with 2 spaces beside each?

6. Ancipital

Ancipital NI Product Owner

Easy on the mac, as you have lots of proper UNIXy tools. Pop open a terminal and cd to the base directory where your collection lives and do:

Code:
    find . | grep \ \ 

..and it'll do a recursive search of all the directories below the current, and list all files with double spaces.

Hope this helps.

(For windows users.. umm.. maybe you can bully windows search into looking for quoted strings somehow, though I'd just be doing exactly the same in a Cygwin shell session)

7. DJGStefan

Thanks,

Now I found a lot of songs with double spaces. But, I think it was triple space in the file name on the song that made it difficult for traktor to read it. It works fine now, even with the double space, songs.

8. Ancipital

Well, if you want it to find two or more adjacent spaces, the answer is pretty similar..

For the really brave, who want to nuke them all, it would be something like:

Code:
    find . -name "*\ [\ ]*" -exec echo rm {} \;

The above will produce a list of what will be deleted. If it looks right, and ONLY if, you can rerun the command without "echo" and it will delete all the files with three consecutive spaces.

Don't do this if you're not confident, or if you're drunk, on fire or an alien. If it trashes your files because you made a typo, it's not my fault. It works perfectly here, but for a more normal person (without spoddy UNIX habits), a seemingly innocent variation in the exact text used could have whacky consequences.

9. djfunkshui

djfunkshui New Member

whats up, so how do i fix the isue in windows?

10. Ancipital

Dunno, windows has a horrible lack of useful tools out of the box. If I had my track collection on one of my windows machines, I'd probably use the same method, in a Cygwin bash shell.

There are various free and payware file renamers for windows, though- "flash renamer" might do what you want:

http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/

I can't vouch for whether this program does the trick, or is safe etc., as I am not in reach of any windows boxes at this precise moment. Therefore, at your own risk, yada yada.

11. garysulter

garysulter NI Product Owner

I am not sure but it seems whenever my collection is spread across an internal and external Hard Drive that this problem has been happening... Now I have bought a new laptop with a 250 GB HD and only using that I have not had a problem... My friend however has a new laptop, same spec and settings but with an external drive is still getting problems...
    It could be however that I deleted out a bad file name without realising lol :p

12. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

I got the "collection cannot be read"-error a few times when I quit Traktor while it was still performing background-tasks. Since I noticed this I always make sure that I'm not analyzing anything while closing => no problems since...

Also saving the collection manually before closing might help (rightclick on "track collection" > save.

I have different problems though: Playlistmanagement is HORRIBLE. Most of the times songs won't show up in a playlist after dropping them there. I have to do everything in iTunes now, it totally sucks. A few days ago I spend 20 Minutes creating a new playlist, when I opened it => 0 songs...

13. supermows

supermows New Member

Hi guys,

is there any official working solution for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.