1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Coloring key field is not enough.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr.Positive, Jun 25, 2019.

1. mr.Positive

mr.Positive NI Product Owner

Its nice feature to have, but it focuses youre eyes on key column slightly more.
    It would be nice to have option to change how it is visible. It should color all row, not only key column.
    Also way better would be if there would be option to highlight background of row, not change font column.

2. kokernutz

kokernutz NI Product Owner

Agreed! Rekordbox (sorry) highlights the cell... it's very obvious.

3. Fabian @ NI

Fabian @ NI NI Team NI Team

mr.Positive thanks for your feedback!
    Depending on how many users want to have a more visible highlighting we can consider extending this :)

We discussed this in the team before implementing and decided we like to do the unobtrusive highlight as a first step.
    In our perception the matching key was just one of many criteria if a track would fit.
    Coloring the full row is also a good idea but would require a solution for the conflicting color coding feature.

4. mr.Positive

It is one of many, but its not reason to not highlight whole row, it needs to be visible on quick glance on screen, not by looking on column (and column could be even not on screen). In t3 you actually made it way harder to read on quick glance because you changed white font to greyish :-/ and it makes a lot of difference when you don't want to look on screen a lot.
    About conflicting color coding, I would consider option to not have color per key, but make or compatibile tracks colors more saturated/brighter, like in spreadsheets software. I don't find colors per key usefull at all

5. Fabian @ NI

6. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

Fabian @ NI can you explain why the text color in the browser was changed to grey in TP3? There have been many complaints that it's less readable.

7. Fabian @ NI

ErikMinekus Sorry, not really. i'm a developer and probably this was decided by a designer.
    Is there a dedicated thread for that?

8. mr.Positive

Fabian @ NI Yeah i undestand, my point was. COLOR TAGS should have background colors, KEYS should not color background but if options to highlight enabled it would make this color more saturated/brighter. Highlight should not color, it should work like you would select few rows in spreadsheats

9. mr.Positive

10. Fabian @ NI

ah now i understand! thx for sharing the idea and pointing me to that thread!

11. snowseals

snowseals NI Product Owner

Fabian @ NI
    Regarding "Coloring key field is not enough" , I made some key-color-cover-arts back in the day, that people liked, see:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=81518&p=683994&viewfull=1#post683994
    and also:

Now instead of overwriting the cover, it would be nice to just have the key columns show like this above workaround.

GUI Proposal:
    [​IMG]
    1. Show colorized key in deckheader (if 'key' or 'key text' is selected)
    2. Show same background color used in Key Control of Deck, in Key Column of Browser
    3. Show same background color + key color, in Key Text Column of Browser
    4. Show slightly brighter text color (#e1e1e1) for better readability of Browser
    5. Show rectanglish scrollbar, like the treelist does already, instead of the dot
    6. Option in Preferences > Decks Layout to toggle to show Camelot key instead of Traktor key, in Key Control of Deck

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  12. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

Since this feature will be helpful to select the next track, I will use this topic to say that this coloring + "quick filters" on the current playlist (just a single row under the favorites) will make it much easier.
    This row could contain: filter only songs that has not been played in the current section, filter only songs within some [field] bpm +-10%, filter only songs matching key [field], etc..
    In a playlist with 250+ songs, where you have already been played 100 songs, it's very difficult to select the next track, without having the ability to press a button and filter only the songs that are not played.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fabian @ NI

Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas, i will discuss them with the team :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. dariodelima

dariodelima NI Product Owner

Loving the new feature, I also would prefer though to have the cell background highlighted in a bright colour rather then the actual key itself, with all the colour coding of tracks which colour the whole line and then also colours for the matching keys it can at times get a little confusing. Highlighting the matching key cell background to perhaps a green or turquoise solid cell would be clearer and easier to see. Perhaps matching keys could be a green cell and adjacent keys a turquoise or orange. Similar to rekordbox at the moment there is just to much colour for someone who has colour coded all there songs.
    Besides that as I said great little update.