Combined MIDI mode and standard mode.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by robertge, Jan 10, 2020.

1. robertge

robertge NI Product Owner

Logic Pro X is likely to never support MIDI output from AU plugins.

It would be great if the maschine controller could output MIDI while in its standard mode. That way recording midi directly into Logic's sequencer is possible, and the other functionality such as envelope adjustment, sample browsing, etc, remains!

2. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

In theory this sounds good, but in practise I'm not too sure. I'm convinced that there's a good reason why NI chose to steer clear from MIDI to control its own software, and I believe that the risk of overlap is part of that (could also be latency related but... I doubt it).

See: what would happen if your DAW would respond to the same MIDI control messages which the Maschine software uses? Then you'd run into some pretty peculiar behavior... :confused:

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

AU2 cannot output MIDI from the plugin but AU V3 can... That might be a more realistic request because to change the way a software works because of one DAW only that chooses to use its own proprietary plugin technology is not very likely to happen, but... good luck.

4. robertge

There is the possibility of feedback, but this should be a toggle that defaults "off" for advanced users. Also, the midi output could come out of one of several of maschine's virtual midi devices, so the user would need to go out of their way to select the right one.

Also, I don't think Maschine itself talks internally with MIDI control messages, it uses a proprietary protocol

5. robertge

Even if AU3 can, logic physically can't do it without a redesign there. It seems very basic to me to allow maschine (on a hardware level) to send MIDI out into a certain device. It already does it, just in MIDI mode which renders the rest of maschine useless. Can't note repeat! Very frustrating

6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Correct, It uses HID then the drivers talk to each other via IPC and spit out OSC and MIDI (afaik).
    So it's all proprietary crap.

I understand it's frustrating, I would be pissed in your shoes and I dont mean to minimize your request.

In Maschine standalone software the virtual port can indeed be used as a "Destination", why thats is not included in the plugin version can either be due to technical plugin limitations or because the industry standard is "the DAW has to handle/support MIDI Out from the plugin", only a developer can confirm which is true. In case it's possible your request would be:

- Allow maschine plugin to output midi through the Virtual port, correct?

This way the only difference from every other daw in the world would be selecting a Port in the midi out field instead of just "host."

7. robertge

Yes, exactly.. virtual port would work, or anything else that's not a default and might cause an unwitting person problems. Something that is there, but you have to go out of your way to enable.

I don't suspect this will ever happen, and I can't stand maschine's workflow for this reason. I want all my notes in one place, and don't want the mental roadblocks involved with having to change patterns at a later time, but they are already dragged in as midi, etc.

thanks