Compatible Traktor Scratch Systems (PC/Mac)

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by djquartz, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. th0rax

th0rax Forum Member

for real right ;)))

I really don't consider my laptop shitty though to be honest - I've tweaked it to basic stuff that I've seen other laptops with 1 gb more RAM and a much better processor to perform visibly much much worse.

But then again...this here is a different story. Strongly considering upping my RAM to 2 GB...

some serious tests will be run in the next days GarySan and I'll let you know what the situation here is ;))

2. th0rax

th0rax Forum Member

alright...so I did my first more comprehensive test, now that I got my records....

have been spinning for the past 2 1/2 - 3 hrs with TS and vinyl - no problems so far ! runs like a charm....I have to say I am impressed with the feel.

so far, just basic mixing with some loops in between - no effects, no recording, nothing fancy...but it seems pretty damn good thus far...

SPECS:
    =====

Pentium M 1.6 Ghz
    1.25 GB RAM
    Windows XP, SP 2
    7200 RPM hard drive

set at 5ms audio latency and 48000 HZ

=====

good job so far...I will do an extensive test over the weekend as I will have TS running for at least 12 hours at a party...will see how it goes !

3. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

@th0rax,

no problems at all on the ol' centrino 1.5. looping, efx, 4 hour straight set...not even a hiccup. i haven't tried reading off an external drive tho, but it works fine.

4. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Here are the specs for my HP Pavillion dv8120ca laptop.

I had one audio hiccup last night and it never replicated itself.

Other than that it worked perfectly and I haven't done any tweaking at all. I just had my wireless turned off and closed any unnecessary background programs.

Product Name dv8120ca
    US Product Number EP454UA#ABL (English)

EP454UA#ABC (French)
    Microprocessor 2.0 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Processor ML-37 with PowerNow!™ Technology
    Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache
    Memory 512MB 333MHz DDR System Memory (1 Dimm)
    Memory Max 2048MB
    Video Graphics ATI RADEON* XPRESS 200M IGP
    Video Memory 128MB DDR (dedicated)
    Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (Dual HDD - 80GB x 2)
    Multimedia Drive LightScribe 8X DVD±RW and CD-RW Combo Drive with Double Layer Support with 1 CD-R blank media
    Display 17.0” WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
    Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
    Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    Wireless Connectivity 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM / SpeedBooster support
    Sound Altec Lansing
    Keyboard Notebook keyboard with scroll bar and integrated numeric keypad

2 Quick Launch Buttons (HP Quick Play Music and DVD Buttons)

Calculator Launch Button
    Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad
    PC Card Slots 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
    1 Type I/II 32-bit card bus (also support 16-bit)

External Ports 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
    1 Headphone out w/SPDIF Digital Audio
    1 microphone-in
    1 VGA (15-pin)
    1 TV-Out (S-video)
    1 RJ-11 (modem)
    1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    1 Expansion Port 2, 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
    1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

Dimensions 11.1"(L) x 15.62"(W) x 1.48"(min H)/1.82"(max H)
    Weight 8.1 lbs
    Security Kensington* MicroSaver lock slot
    Power-on password
    Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power 65W AC adapter
    8-Cell Lithium-Ion

5. GarySan

GarySan NI Product Owner

Here we go

Acer 1612 LM

Pentium 4 2,8 ghz (Northwood)
    1,2 gb RAM PC 2700 (333 mhz)
    ATI 9700 mobility with 64 mb dedicated RAM
    Hitachi Travelstar 7k100 (7200 rpm, 8mb cache)

Works on a 8ms latency in 96 khz

But it works without any tweaking, with my antivirus and msn running in the same time (in 48khz sampling rate).

I only made few tests, but so far so good AND REALLY GOOD.
    ;)

6. bboy_majestic

bboy_majestic New Member

12´Powerbook G4 1.33GHZ
    768mb RAM
    60GB
    Mac OS 10.4.9
    Traktor Scratch 1.02 Mac update
    Shure M44 needles

30% CPU load playing 2 decks
    No software running in the background

Unusable for Gigz

Constant hickups, pops...the works

7. AboutDJ - Reind

AboutDJ - Reind Forum Member

I have an C2D macbook, 1,83Ghz with 2GB of ram.

Latency 1ms, cache 256MB and it works like an charm.

8. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

My specs are listed in my signature. For details NOT listed:

Output -> 48000Hz
    Latency -> 6ms
    Time Stretch Quality -> Phase Vocoder

I have yet to have any sort of bogging down. I'm waiting for the Solid State Hard Drive flip so I can convert over to one. Those are gonna be niiiiiiice. All the new MacBook Pros are compatible with them, so the conversion should end up being a simple replacement. :)

By the way, for all our Mac users...I have a trick for you if you seem to be noticing a decrease in system performance. There are some built in scripts that are supposed to run at a certain time (time varies by machine). If your machine is not running when these scripts are scheduled to run, they simply won't run. Try running them manually by entering the following in "Terminal" on your machine:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

This runs all three of the system maintenance scripts manually. You can run these individually as well via:

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly

PLEASE NOTE! DOUBLE CHECK YOUR TYPING BEFORE HITTING ENTER! A simply typo CAN cause a LOT of problems for you. For those of you who know *NIX operating systems, "sudo" is a VERY, and I repeat, VERY powerful command and can wreak havok on a system. So please, if you decide to use this TIP, do so with caution as I am not responsible for your user error. Once again, DOUBLE CHECK your typing before you hit enter and make sure it is typed 100% correctly.

After hitting enter, it WILL ask for administrator password. This is to ensure that you want to do this command, and also to gives you ONE LAST CHANCE to check your typing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  9. Darrien

Darrien NI Product Owner

Traktor Scratch runs wonderful with 6ms latency on my following notebook:

Sony Vaio VGN-S1HP

• 1,50A GHz Intel Pentium M 715
    • 512 MByte RAM
    • 40 GByte Harddisk
    • 13,3" WXGA TFT-Display
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200/32 MByte
    • W-LAN 802.11 b/g
    • Bluetooth
    • CD-RW/DVD-ROM-Drive
    • Allmost clean Windows XP SP2

10. felix

felix Forum Member

g4, 1,67 ghz, 1 gb ram, version 1.02. (latest update)

running not the best, but ok since last update, no crashes...

i have phase meter turned off, did all the background things, even dashboard killer, have to run with 15,5 latency and playing in playback mode (which looks nicer anyway).
    i can run key on psola, but thats the best sound anyway, any other you get distortions (also on macbook from a friend).

considering to buy a macbook pro on ebay though (not macbook, i need the background lights...he he)

11. BCCM

BCCM NI Product Owner

Mac G5 Dual 2.7
    OSX 10.4.9
    1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
    Audio 8 TS
    Allen & Heath Xone:92
    Technics SL1200 MK2

This rig works right out of the box as advertised, unlike FS1, FS1.5 & FS@........

12. ...zep...

...zep... New Member

I buyed the new MACBOOK PRO 2,2GHz, with led, and TS works very fine!
    finally!

13. patella

patella New Member

Compatible, although not perfect.

My laptop is already three or for years old, but it works quite well after following the performance tuning measures described in the manual.
    The only issue is some glitching with key lock activated (any setting), and the background analyzing, so I don't use the key lock and don't analyze while performing.
    There have also been some weird results using low-bitrate-mp3s, but I suppose that's my own fault, a hi-end product deserves hi-end input. Great job, NI!

Btw. I hope it'll get even better as I just ordered my first Mac:
    MBP 2.2GHz C2D/2GB RAM/160GB HDD :D

My current system:

Toshiba Satellite 3110
    2GHz Intel P4-mobile
    512 MB Ram
    60 GB HDD internal
    250 GB HDD external (WD)
    WinXP Home SP2

14. KLUBBA

KLUBBA NI Product Owner

Im running a **** Benq 1.6Mhz Celeron, half a gig of ram and a 60 gig 4700rpm drive ....and TS works like a charm.

Cant get much lower spec than mine. and I run on a 5ms latency with out pop/glitches.

although I have did all required tweaks by Ni in the manula.

I get no problems with Keylock/using phase meter etc. I also use Psola Time stretch and again everythings cool.

So I can vouch you dont need a "HIGH" spec lappy. just average and a clean install of Windows and SP2....with all NETWORK ooptions turned off (Wi-fi/bluetooth etc) and you should be rockin.

15. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

HP NC6400 (RC454AW#AK8)
    Intel Core Duo 1.83Ghz
    2GB Ram 667Mhz (2*1GB modules)
    External USB 2.0 drive for audiofiles (Lacie 160GB pocketdrive 5400rpm)

Works perfect with 6.0ms latency.

16. factory_sound

factory_sound NI Product Owner

Taken a few weeks but I have my PowerBook running very smooth ...

PowerBook G4 1.5
    2GB RAM, 120GB 5400 internal drive (running system only)
    Seagate 320GB 7200 (3.5", 16MB IDE) external drive in a Coolermaster enclosure (via FW400 but also has USB2.0) powered by plug pack.

8ms, 48k, 8MB cache

Some things that make a big difference:
    - Network/AirPort settings - make a custom location called "traktor" that turns EVERYTHING off
    - turn off Beatport, if you accidentally hit it while playing it will look for a net connection and hang the system, it will keep streaming the current song though!
    - OnyX - lets you kill Finder :) and run scripts
    - set "FX" and "Sends" to Thru ... I run a Xone:92 so I do it all on the mixer ...
    - "Performing Page 4" - turn off Limiter and Gain, if you encode your own MP3 and WAV files and get them right you don't need either of these on ... and you don't need the "L" on the Recorder ...

All of the above helped my CPU go from 70% to under 40% and now runs rock solid.

Next thing is to upgrade the internal HDD to a 2.5" Seagate 100GB 7200, and change the external to another 2.5" of the same spec so it can run bus powered (Coolermaster make an awesome 2.5" case, RX-250) thus leaving only the Mac power plug.

17. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Hi all, signed up a little while ago but this is my first post on here, props to everyone (esp native_girl and djquartz) for all the helpful tips!

I'm running TS on a Vista Home Premium-equipped (wish I'd had XP...maybe try a dual-boot later) HP Pavilion DV9310 (a Best Buy rebranded DV9300), AMD Turion x2 TL-50 (1.6GHz) CPU, 120GB internal HDD with a firewire external to hold all my MP3's. Upgraded to 2GB RAM but otherwise no hardware upgrades. Had some problems running it off my laptop at first but turned off the phase display in TS and disabled my WiFi, and she runs pretty well, except for the occasional quick-reverse bug that hopefully will be fixed in release 1.1. Just to be safe I did create a separate profile in Vista just for Traktor, where I disabled any unnecessary programs and fancy display options, and I've run past 3 or 4 hours per set with nary a crackle or skip.

Lovin the product, got it cheaper than SSL too, and having used both now I can at this point say quite confidently I've made the right choice.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  18. mishmashmole

mishmashmole NI Product Owner

I'd be happy if you contacted me. I have a 1.5GHz powerbook and am considering buying traktor scratch. Do you think it's worth it after all your hassles? I'd appreciate the advice.

19. djbradlee

djbradlee New Member

older g4 mac needs upgrades to run TS

hello everyone this is my first post in this forum. so i go to my local guitar center looking for serato and i come out with traktor, i get it home and my mac is way under qualified. i have a g4 ibook with 256 of ram with one expansion slot. also i need osx 10.4.9... so we will see if the upgrades do the trick or if i just need a new laptop. heres my full setup.

2 tech1200mk5s
    g4 mac 1.2ghz 256ram 30gig hd
    vestax 07 pro battle mixer
    hopefully traktor scratch up and running
    by the end of the week
    later guys
    djbradlee

20. mishmashmole

mishmashmole NI Product Owner

I phoned directly to NI in Berlin and they told me that the minimum for "Traktor Scratch" is 1.67GHz powerbook G4. So a G4 ibook is no chance. I'm as disappointed as you are. Next step, Stanton Final Scratch I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.