1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Compute main harmonic of input signal and send it as parameter to other signal?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by bhuether1, Nov 20, 2020.

1. bhuether1

bhuether1 NI Product Owner

Been wondering about this. I am trying to come up with way to add, say snare resonances, in real time, based on the strong harmonic content of some input signal. So imagine a piano note, or some vocal line that has some main pitch, followed by a snare hit. I want to be able to impart such harmonic content on top of the snare so that the snare has a nuanced resonance that follows the harmonic content of the input track.

One way I could do this is have some block in Reaktor compute the main harmonic of some input signal, then output that as the value of a notch filter's frequency value to add a strong resonance on top of the snare. Or something similar, maybe just adding some Oscillator with fast attack and release, where its frequency is the frequency detected by the block I mentioned.

I am new to Reaktor so I have no idea how to actually do this - curious if it is possible and if so maybe some pointers on implementation?

Ideas, thoughts?

2. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Maybe use a vocoder? I think there are some in the User library. You could vocode the drums with the piano (from your example), and mix some of the result back in with the dry drum sound.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

Maybe GZabr's Emphasizer does that kind of thing?
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11499/

4. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 NI Product Owner

the modal bank could be good for this. there is a user ensemble called brute force resiner, that converts from fft to sine bank resynthesizer. if you switched the sine bank out for the modal bank it could work very good for that. i've used it before to get something like taking any sound and making a drum out of it

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Catman Dude

I remember you started an interesting thread about that 'brute force' thing.
    BTW, is it really as simple as unplugging one instrument and replacing it with another? (Modal bank for sine bank that is.)

6. Michael O'Hagan

Michael O'Hagan NI Product Owner

7. Catman Dude

8. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 NI Product Owner

as far as switching one out for the other in the ensemble, yeah they work exactly the same, as in everything the sine bank needs to work also works for the modal bank. the only difference is the modal bank needs excitation. also it would probably make the most sense to use an audio table or something in between as a buffer to be able to freeze on a single frame, which is better for drum sounds than if it received whatever the constantly running re-siner was outputting willy nilly. its been so long i don't even really remember if the modal bank is even built for being able to change up its filters as fast as fft could spit em out, as they tend to have a decay time

it is pretty good fun to turn your own screams or the sound of a car crash or a Bb under middle C on a piano into drum modes that ring out beautifully, though it was terrible for the intended hopeful purpose of a formant filterbank driven with a pulse oscillator for speech/singing synthesizer. that's the other thing, is it has other settings which are specific to the modal banks decay characteristics, which are a bit mysterious to probly all but its creators

9. Catman Dude

Thanks, I will investigate these modules further soon.
    There are so many potentially astonishing rabbit holes to wander down in Reaktor!