1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Contour - Shuttle Pro 2 as a controller.

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by robtronik_Tf, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robtronik_Tf

robtronik_Tf Forum Member

So, now that I am using traktor with Final Scratch in a serious manner again (yay for 2.6 release!), I went looking for a small controller solution so I wouldn't have to use my laptop keyboard while playing out. Something about touching a keyboard is offensive when you don't (or shouldn't) have to.

I bought the Shuttle Pro 2 controller by Contour Designs. It was $99 bucks from the Apple store and it works with Macs and PCs. It hooks up via USB and is shaped to fit your hand resting on it... it is one of the smallest, and full featured, devices of its kind, IMO. I have a Novation Remote25 keyboard, but that thing is too honkin' big to bring to a gig WITH A LAPTOP and FS AMP too. Fuhgettaboutit. :) But the Shuttle Pro 2 is the right size. And a long connection cable too. Important for sure.

So, I've set it up to mimic keyboard commands (as opposed to MIDI that most external remotes will probably use). It works REALLY well. It has 15 assignable buttons, and a nice knob with a good feel. I've set the middle scroll piece to select tracks and the knob piece for pitch bend adjusts... and it feels great. Adds a bit of physicality to the whole DJ process as it bypasses having to strike a key. It has a bit of pull/play to it. Very nice.

Anyway, Highly recommended. NI should hook up with these cats and do a special set up for it.

I've got this thing set up to the point that I don't have to touch my keyboard to select tracks, load them, loop, pitch correction, etc.

The only thing I wish worked in 2.6 was the F key shortcuts for playlists... this is the only piece (playlist selection) that causes me to have to touch the computer at all.

:)

rob.

2. mastermix

mastermix NI Product Owner

Rob,

you are a spoiled brat ;-)

Kris..

3. robtronik_Tf

LOL. yeah, probably. :)

But seriously, it really is a great solution for $100. For those that want a bit more controller/tactile feel, it is an inexpensive solution (vs. the more expensive MIDI controllers that are out there).

BTW, this works really well if you really use an external mixer like I do. I forgot to mention that in my first post.

If you want cross fader control then the MIDI controller route is probably better.

rob.

4. Voff!_Tf

Voff!_Tf Forum Member

I've been using the Contour Shuttle for a long time. I have yet to find something that beats it's versatility, portability and tactile feel in comparison to its price. Just wanted to add my .02 c

5. robtronik_Tf

yeah, spread that love! I agree. I'm totally stoked over it.

rob.

6. Redscarab_Tf

Redscarab_Tf Forum Member

hey robtronik what keyboard functions do you have your shuttle pro set up to do?
    i have mine set up like this -

These Functions are all for In Focus Deck
    1st button top row = Play/Pause
    2nd button top row = Cue/Pause
    3rd button top row = Cue Set IN
    4th button top row = Deck Cue Lock

1st Button second row = Wind Bkwd
    2nd Button second row = Wind FWD
    3rd Button second row = Deck Move Bkwd
    4th Button second row = Deck Move FWD
    5th Button second row = Loop Set In

Left side Black Button = focuses on Deck A
    Right side Black Button = focuses on Deck B

Left Silver buttons
    Top =Sync Deck A
    Bottom = Reset sync Deck A

Right Silver buttons
    Top =Sync Deck B
    Bottom = Reset Sync Deck B

scroll wheel turned all the way to Left = auto crossfade to deck A
    scroll wheel turn all the way to Right = auto crossfade to deck B

Let me know what u think of my config and maybe you have some tips on how i can improve mine.

For those who want to set up their's, I have spent a long time setting mine up and hopefully I can cut down your trial and error time down.

7. robtronik_Tf

because I am only using one, I did the same as you and made the two buttons on each side dictate the deck focus.

I then made the silver dial in the middle be used for track selection in the browser. The two buttons below the knob are used to load the selected track in either deck (left side button = Deck A, right side button Deck B). This allows me to select tracks without having to use my laptop at all. Very slick. (if F-Key shortcuts would work, then getting playlists organized would be great. I could get tracks super easy, especially if a modifier key was set up to allow F-key selection, but right now we can't assign any playlists to the F-keys yet...)

The outside knob piece is set up (in the one'oclock position) to pitch bend forward and back (turn the other direction). If you turn the dial all the way clockwise or counter clockwise also correspondingly increases/decreases pitch.

The top keys at the front of the unit are for stop and playback, Sync (on/off - toggle),etc.

The bottom keys underneath those are for setting loops and length of loops.

I'm still evolving it, but I REALLY like the unit a lot. Assuming F-key playlist shortcuts are implemented I won't have to touch the keyboard or laptop at all with this thing.

rob.

8. Redscarab_Tf

Hey robtronic,
    thanks for the reply,
    also, how did you configure the shuttle to go through the browser? "I then made the silver dial in the middle be used for track selection in the browser." whats the setting
    , i tried messing with the frequency settings and the smart release but i don't have a clue what im doing. thanks in advance,
    Redscarab

9. robtronik_Tf

no problem. Remember though, my name is spelled with a "K"

I believe that the setting for making a browser track selection is in the browser preferences, under global (not focus, etc). Assign a key stroke to it that you will remember.

Then go to the set up control panel for the shuttle pro and select the middle silver part. Assign the behavior pull down menu as "hold down and auto repeat" and assign whatever keystroke you assigned to the middle silver part (do this for turning it left and then turning it right).

Remember that you have two to set. One for turning it left and one for turning it right.

The same goes for the keystroke setting in browser preferences within traktor. One keystroke assignment for turning it left (which should select track selection down) and one for turning it right (which should make track selection go up). That's how I set it up.

Don't worry about smart release. Leave it checked in the box.

should work for moving around tracks in the browser. Now you need to decide which keys will load the selected tracks in the player. I made two seperate keys (the one below the dial) and made each side correspond to a particular deck (like the focus buttons on the side of the unit).

rob.

10. Redscarab_Tf

Thanks Robtronik, Do you know if there is a way to set up controur so that if i push 2 keys at once a new function would work. An example of this is if i pushed the two silver buttons together i would be able to prelisten to a track in the browser . kind of like holding the shift key while pressing another key on the keyboard. Nice website by the way.
    -redscarab

11. zero1@xs4all.nl

zero1@xs4all.nl New Member

I have been using the Shuttle Pro with Traktor 2.0-2.5 for almost two years now. Was very happy with the combination. But since the Traktor 2.6 update, the Jog Wheel isn't working anymore. All buttons & the Shuttle wheel function as before, but the Jog does not. I checked and rechecked all setting, within Traktor and within the Shuttle Pro software. But nothing helps.

Anyone got a clues what's wrong?
    I want to use 2.6 on stage, but I can't do it without my (fully working) Shuttle Pro.....
    In the meantime I continue using 2.5..

:help:

12. blanco_Tf

blanco_Tf Forum Member

i reported this in the bug section also, its a real paint having to go use the keyboard to scroll up and down... grrr!

13. zero1@xs4all.nl

Yeah indeed. I also use the Jog wheel to scroll thru my tracks.
    So I didn't search well, I wil try to find your report in the bug section. Thanx.

14. blanco_Tf

blanco_Tf Forum Member

lol.. well it basically says just that, the key presses no longer work to scroll through the tracks :)

15. zero1@xs4all.nl

So this is a bug on both PC & Mac..... Thanks N.I. Great....
    :hammer: :wallbash: :whine: :tantrum: :schimpfen

16. robtronik_Tf

Right. I can verify that this bug is on both versions of 2.6 (Mac and PC). Frustrating because it was such an essential part of the shuttle control experience....

rob.

17. Spielmann

Spielmann Forum Member

One Question:

As far as I know, TDJS does not support using more than one Midi controller. Is it possible to use Shuttle Contour in "keyboard mode" simultaneously with an additional USB Midi Controller? Does anyone have experience with this? Using both the x-session and the Shuttle at the same time sounds like a promising setup.

Spielmann

18. zero1@xs4all.nl

@ Spielman: yes this is possible. I used to use an Evolution UC-17 along with my Shuttle Pro. No problems. That is, in TDJS 2.5. Didn't try it in TDJS 2.6.

19. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

I'm confused about this. At the beginning of this thread it sounds like robtronik is using the shuttlepro with TDJS/FS 2.6 with no problems. On that and a few other merits i ordered a ShuttlePro (which still hasn't arrived). Now in the last few days, toward the end of the thread there is the acknowledgement of a bug preventing use of the jogwheel to scroll through collection tracks. So rob did you not initially have this bug or something? I'm confused. :confused:

20. blanco_Tf

blanco_Tf Forum Member

I believe he was using it with 2.5.3 (which worked) however on the upgrade, it doesn't.

Still a great controller though, just hope they fix that bug sometime soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.