Controller Support - Pioneer DDJ-1000

Discussion in 'Feature Request' started by alec.tron, Apr 17, 2018.

1. alec.tron

alec.tron NI Product Owner

Heya,
    I do still hope for NI / Traktor to finally come out with a new version of Traktor [with an overhauled library system (with proper metadata handling & display, smart crates, flexible grids for non quantized music, wave preview column in browser, etc pp...), better midi mapping tool set & a designated controller to go with it...], but since that might be a while away still, I'd love to see the Pioneer DDJ-1000 officially supported by Traktor with HID inside the jogwheel display (although I have my doubts that would even be technically possible.. seeing the screen-real-estate difference to the supported CDJs' display...).
    Unlikely, but who knows... worth mentioning I thought.
    c.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 15
  2. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

I dont think that you will ever see the display work with Traktor (since this controller is marketed as a Rekordbox Controller). Otherwise, there are already Traktor 3rd party mappings in the works. ;-)

3. alec.tron

VirtualDJ did crack this 'problem' within a few weeks, supposedly, and they are now able to use the screen... and it would be in the interest of Pioneer as well that others can do this as well... as many people want to buy this one, but do not due to Rekordbox only...
    c.

4. hellnegative

Do you have a link to a vid or photo? I wasn't able to find anything on it.

5. alec.tron

• Like Like x 1
  6. hellnegative

Dang, they even developed a settings page for it. I stand corrected. NI Make it happen. This is currently the hottest controller on the market. Shops here stateside were sold out on preorder.

Unless NI is working on something they would like to drop a hint about?

7. XMan714

XMan714 NI Product Owner

I would absolutely love Traktor support of the DDJ-1000. I've had mine for almost 1 month now and it's amazing. Coming from Denon DN-S3700's and a DJM-900 Nexus mixer, I've simplified to this controller that feels so close to a full CDJ/DJM setup. I'm getting used to Rekordbox, but my brain is still completely wired for Traktor. I won't ever leave Traktor because it's taught me everything and made me a better dj. Put me on the "feature request" list for hope of a future where it's supported.

8. alec.tron

I think NI, with this new feature request round, wants you to hit 'like' on the first topic post if you +1 something.... so that they can count +1s from the outside without reading each post in each thread or so Friedemann@NI explained it in one of the threads... ;)
    c.

9. XMan714

XMan714 NI Product Owner

Done.

10. XMan714

XMan714 NI Product Owner

alec.tron do you have the DDJ-1000? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Since this IS an NI forum, feel free to PM me your answers. I will post my likes/dislikes if asked, but will refrain for now.

11. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

Yes please add support fot this controller or work with pioneer to make a traktor specific one.

12. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

+1 for traktor support. definitely easier than making your own clone

13. Josez1984

Josez1984 New Member

I'd love this. I love Traktor. Traktor team, please make it happen. Show us you care. It doesn't take much to get one of your guys to whip up a nice mapping. You'd be making your loyal customers happy.

14. Josez1984

Josez1984 New Member

Bump. Still hoping for this.

15. alec.tron

It was confirmed on Pioneer's forum awhile after I posted this, that Pioneer has no plans or interest in having anything or anyone else but Rekordbox be officially supported for the ddj-1000.
    So with Pioneer going down the path towards of an ever more walled garden, and having shown that innovation and/or sound quality are of low concern to them over the last 1-2 years as well, it's off the table for me and I, by now, would actually remove my own support for my ticket if I could... :D
    c.

16. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

Virtual DJ supports every controller on earth.
    Why couldn't traktor support the DDJ-1000 - IMO the best controller released in years?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  17. Josez1984

Josez1984 New Member

Exactly, virtual DJ supports even the screens on the DDJ 1000. I think they did it without pioneers help too.

18. alec.tron

And that's the crux.... as NI is a collaborator/partner of Pioneer, and there is Pioneer hardware meant to work with NI products officially....
    And as a collaborator/partner, you do not (want to) 'hack' the collaborator/partner companies' products if they, Pioneer in this case do not want to cooperate..(and imo, NI has been guilty of this as well, but it's showing it has learned from past mistakes... and hopefully Pioneer, as well as others in this world, will also realize that building walls is not helping anyone and will hurt more than it helps in the long run...).
    c.

19. Josez1984

Josez1984 New Member

Oh ok. I get it. That makes sense. So, it would be "unethical" for NI to "hack" the DDJ 1000 because they're partners with Pioneer. That makes total sense. No argument there. So the next step, If NI wants to please it's loyal software customers, begin talks with Pioneer to officially support the DDJ 1000. Let us know that they've reached out to them, and requested this, and are awaiting a response. The loyal customers that stand by the software deserve this. Cmon NI, reach out to Pioneer for official DDJ 1000 hid support.

20. DJ Grooveey

DJ Grooveey NI Product Owner

I have a DDJ-1000 and the thing is great but I would be elated if there was Traktor support. It really is a club setup in a controller and that was just too good for me to pass up. Rekordbox takes some getting used to and it isn't horrible, but I would rather stay with Traktor. The DDJ-1000 is after all a midi controller and Traktor can be mapped to it except the jog screens but unless Pioneer updates the firmware within the DDJ-1000 to work with Traktor the screens won't work or the onboard mixer effects. I did a vey basic mapping. Play, CUE, EQ knobs, volume control and I realized that the sound card in the DDJ-1000 has no way to input through USB into each individual channel in the mixer. The DDJ-1000 comes up as an audio device but you can't tell Deck A to go to channel 1 through USB, the only input is the external input for channel 1. In other words I can control the volume of deck A with the channel 1 fader and watch the fader on the screen move up and down but its sending it out to the main output of the DDJ-1000, the audio isn't actually going into channel 1 of the mixer so when I set the onboard mixer effects to channel 1 and turn an effect on, nothing happens. The work around would be to use an external soundcard, put Traktor in external mode and the DDJ-1000 channel inputs to external to have actual audio go into the mixer but that blows to have to do that. I know Pioneer is pushing Rekordbox but it really would be In their best interest to have Traktor support. If the idea is to sell more units, this would do it.