1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Convince me to give up Torq and buy TS!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by Punky921, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punky921

Punky921 NI Product Owner

Hey folks, I am THIS close to pulling the trigger on a new Traktor Scratch, especially with the rather incredible free upgrade deal out there right now. But I already have Torq and Conectiv.

I've got a few ideas in my head as to why I should switch, but can you lovely NI folks give me some more reasons I may not have thought of?

2. fella

fella NI Product Owner

free upgrade to 3.3
    soundcard future proof
    good sound
    midi
    usb 2.0
    playing with 4 decks if u like(2 phono-2 line)or get a phono preamp and use 3 or 4turntables
    2 khz vinyl
    superb scratching
    superb beat mixing
    very good tracking, even at the lowest speeds
    multicore cabling means playing your normal vinyl without plugging
    built in recording

I think other forum members will complete the list for you.
    p.s. Don't forget a relative fast computer for best results.

3. Punky921

I've got a Core 1 Duo 2 Gigahertz with a gig of RAM - I think I'll be fine - I hope?

4. fella

fella NI Product Owner

Double the ram and enjoy playing;)
    Do not buy el cheapo ram, but get a brand, can save you alot of trouble.

5. Punky921

Two gigs? Jesus. Well I found a place that can hook me up with another gig for $50.

6. djDoring

djDoring Account Suspended

traktor/ts needs with caching set to 8mb 190 mb of ram with two decks.

download the traktor demo and play around with it. then decide.

7. heydj

heydj Forum Member

never use TS without at least 1.5 gigs of ram!

8. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

That's not true, I used to run TS on 512mb of ram on my laptop and then upgraded to 1gb few months ago.

And that was testing and publicly using TS on two different systems.

The question you have to ask yourself is what interface do you prefer?

The Audio 8 appears to be much better quality than the Connectiv.

What features does Torq have over TS and vice versa?

9. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

Punky, ALL the cool kids are doing it.

No, YOU DO NOT need 2GB of RAM. But because of the way TS can cache music, having 2GB can benefit you if you get 3.3 as well, because you'll be caching 4 decks. TS runs fine with less, even using aggressive caching.

TS will allow you to take full advantage of your 9303, and interface with other software and hardware in ways that Torq and SSL won't.

The A8DJ has more I/O and MIDI. It IS NOT, however, better than the Conectiv. The Conectiv has better audio quality than the A8DJ. Sorry, guys, but in my testing it's true.

http://www.nem0nic.com/Audio 8 DJ (Ch A_ Out 1_2).htm - A8DJ
    http://www.nem0nic.com/Conectiv.htm - Conectiv

NOTE - I'm comparing apples to apples here. The Conectiv was tested using I/O that had an RIAA amp in the circuit, so I tested the same way on the A8DJ (using outputs 1 and 2). Testing using NON RIAA I/O (like 5&6 or 7&8) yields better results...

http://www.nem0nic.com/Audio 8 DJ (Ch C_ Out 5_6).htm

But still only on par with an interface that costs half as much.

10. djDoring

djDoring Account Suspended

i've read somewhere that the conectiv has low (phono) input volume,

something similar to the a8dj before the new driver update ?

is that true ?

11. fella

fella NI Product Owner

That's why I recommend it, if he decides to buy the package, he gets 3.3 for free, so he will benefit from that extra memory.
    Anyway the overal performance from that notebook will be better.

That's some nice testing what you did, I can respect that

12. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

I have never been using Torq, but there are two features I'd love to have in TS:

1. Quickscratch-buttons
    2. sampler

It really sucks that neither TS nor T3.3 got a sampler :(

I'd still switch though. From what I've heard the conectiv must be a pretty good sound card too, but vinyl-through kinda sucks. I love NI's multicore-cables, it really makes things much easier.

13. Punky921

Ah nem0nic, always bringin' that sick knowledge. That's pretty cool to know that my Conectiv is still pretty high quality in comparison. Why is it that 1&2 are not as good as 5&6 and 7&8 on the A8DJ?

Also, nem0nic, I know that you bought Torq, sold it, got TS, then bought Torq again. I know I've asked you why before, but never within the context of "I might get TS"

14. Punky921

I love the idea of multi-core cables, because I tend to use a lot of skipless scratch vinyl. The QS buttons are pretty interesting, and the sampler is cool. That's something I'd definitely miss if I went to TS. However, I'm planning on using one of the other outputs on the A8DJ and one of the other virtual decks to do samples.

15. fella

fella NI Product Owner

Has something to do with phono pre amps I believe.
    Line inputs are always better, aren't they?

16. Punky921

Never heard that before, but it wouldn't surprise me, as I'd imagine that phono inputs can color your sound.

17. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

While it's not my main DVS, Torq is more fun to play on than any of the other systems I've tried or own. In terms of just getting down to some sick remixing, Torq has the most beng for the buck, and I still enjoy using it. I HATE the keylock, though.

I assume that the phono pre is the problem, although I would also assume that some sort of switching would be employed to avoid this kind of thing. Other interfaces aren't as adversely impacted as the A8DJ, so I know it's avoidable.

18. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Don't worry the sampler feature has been pushed for a long time now.

Just waiting to be shocked by the dev's.

It terms of the Connectiv audio quality, does it have a gain feature? The original A8 drivers did not so it had very low input. Unless you were using it with TS the gain functionality wasn't available.

The 1.6.7 driver allows you to adjust the phono gain manually.

19. Punky921

If they incorporate a sampler, I just might leave Torq behind forever.

How are the effects in TS & TDJS compared to the Torq effects? I really don't like the Torq effects except for the repeat.

20. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

The effects in Torq are better IMO, but not because of their sound. It's because Torq effects are ALWAYS "musical". From the get-go, the effects in Torq quantized to the BPM of the track. M-Audio implemented them very well in this regard. Having the ability to also incorporate VST effects is nice, as is being able to build effects chains that can be recalled with a button push.

But Traktor and Traktor Scratch has better control possibilities and independant key / tempo, and I consider that an "effect" as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.