1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Copy and Paste within a Pattern

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by mobetta518, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobetta518

mobetta518 Forum Member

Sorry for asking basic question, but is there a way to select all the notes in a pattern from say, bar 1 to bar 3 and then copy those notes to bar 5? Basically copy and paste contents within a pattern? This would speed up my workflow significantly. Thanks

2. charmingnerd

charmingnerd NI Product Owner

I don't think so. I would certainly like to know if there was which is why I am subscribing to this thread.

3. cmreal04

cmreal04 Forum Member

Yeah I haven't had a chance to try to figure this out yet, but I certainly hope so.

4. KDilla

KDilla NI Product Owner

You can certainly do this...in a way. I have no idea how you can copy TO a specific bar...might not be possible as I know no way that you can specify the destination.

BUT...select the events you want to copy...hit copy then paste, it pastes it overtop of the current notes/events...then if you hold SELECT and turn the SWING knob, it will move what you've copied across the grid (turn off grid for finer adjustments) to the spot you need...

Will that help?

5. mobetta518

mobetta518 Forum Member

That's why i love forums, somebody always has a workaround! I think Fruity Loops works like this as well as far as copy/paste. I will definitely give this a try, however, this simple edit function should probably be a suggestion for the next update after 1.5. Thanks for all replies.

6. KDilla

KDilla NI Product Owner

Ya like FL Studio. Just found out about this a day or two ago. Haven't actually had to try yet, but I think you'll be surprised how easy it is. Especially after you use it a few times. That and the NAVIGATE button for longer patterns...

Would be nice to use a knob with SELECT held down to select an edit point where you can 'paste to'

7. mobetta518

mobetta518 Forum Member

Tried this last night, worked great, thanks! I don't know how you figured this out, but i had no idea about the select/swing moving function, maybe i missed it in the manual. Anyway, now i can work a lot faster! Also does anyone know how to skip to different scenes once the song is playing? I been using the arrows, but that takes long as hell if the song is like 15 scenes long..

8. KDilla

KDilla NI Product Owner

Hmmm I don't know if I understand the problem. If you have scenes 1-15 selected and want to skip to scene 10, I would just lock scene mode and hit pad 10. Then select the whole 15 again if I want to play the whole range again or just let the scene loop.

9. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

That would be nice indeed. You should be able to use the transport < > buttons to move to that point.

10. Supamonsta

Supamonsta Forum Member

I copy elements within a pattern with the shortcut:

select with mouse
    hold down "ALT" (mac, pc might be shift or control, or alt, dunno...)
    click on one of the selected notes (rather the first one)
    drag and drop the selected notes

that's a cool way for quickly creating long patterns :p

but you still need the mouse and the computer screen

cheers

11. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

That's what a lot of us are trying to get away from. ;)

12. Supamonsta

Supamonsta Forum Member

yes, I realised this while writing these quoted words... :eek:

I come from the ableton live's world, and am used to use so much clicking and mousing, that with the maschine I'm not so much annoyed when I have to make just a few clicks sometimes...

but you're right, mashine needs to become a 100% hardware controlled software :)

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.