1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy knob on Kore 1 controller

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by theoryzero, Feb 22, 2011.

1. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

I noticed a few days ago that knob six on my Kore 1 controller was acting very erratic. For example, when slowly turning the knob clockwise, the values start at 0.0 jump to 0.15 jump down to 0.10 and then smoothly go up to a little over 0.22 before it jumps directly to 0.8 and then just as erratically makes it way up to 1.0. Ugh, that sentence doesn't make much sense, but all the other knobs increment very smoothly from 0.0 to 1.0 when turned clockwise.

This happens in MIDI controller mode or running inside of Kore 2.1.2. The driver version is 2.0.15 running on Win7 x64. I have tried different USB cables, all are plugged directly into a USB port coming from the motherboard. Some are explicitly labeled as USB 2.0.

I also installed Kore 2 from the CD (without updating to 2.1.x) and an older version of the driver onto a different computer running Win7 x32 and see the exact same behavior.

Unfortunately this is feeling like a hardware problem to me. I have put in a ticket with support over the weekend, but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else experienced anything similar, and if it was a hardware problem, how did support handle it? Obviously I'm out of warranty, which has me worried.

2. scottishraver

scottishraver New Member

iv always had the same problem, i get random midi movement on a few of the knobs at the same, i also have problems with my automap in ableton, the master channel moves on its own on start up and if i load a project channel 5 moves on its own ,so basically its the 5th fader that moves,,, i also have probs with plug ins on plugin template
    anyway can anyone tell me what the midi sync should be for kore?

3. theoryzero

Well, it took a while but I can say my problem has been resolved thanks to NI tech support. They had me send in my Kore 1 controller, confirmed it was defective and sent me out a replacement. The process took longer than I expected, but as of now I have a replacement Kore 2 controller sitting on my desk and it is working flawlessly.

My guess is the issue was the knob pot went bad. Please see my attached image, which was a smooth knob turn that should of went smoothly from 0 to 1. On knob 5 it works fine, but knob 6 is jumping from place to place.

Anyhow, NI replaced my unit FREE OF CHARGE. I bought this in 2006. Took a while but given I didn't have a deadline I have no complaints whatsoever. Thanks NI!

Attached Files:

4. scottishraver

scottishraver New Member

do you use novations automap by any chance?

5. theoryzero

No, I don't have any automap products, sorry man!